GreaseSpot Cafe

How well did you know the book "The Way-Living in Love?"

WordWolf

How well did you know the book "The Way-Living in Love"?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. How well did you know the book "The Way-Living In Love?" Please select the first answer that completely fits you (or the closest if none do.)

• I had a copy and read it more than once. My friends had copies and they read them more than once.
    • I read it more than once but didn't own a copy.
    • I had a copy but never read it.
    • Neither my friends nor I owned copies. I never read it. I heard a few quotes read from it back in twi.
    • I'd heard of the book in twi but never even heard any of the contents while in twi.
    • I never heard of the book until after I left twi.
    • I never heard of the book until you brought it up now (or sometime in discussion March 2018 or later.
    • I read all of it exactly one time. I couldn't tell you what was in it.
    • I read all of it exactly one time and I can practically recite the contents.

I read it early on in my way life in '75. I was thankful for a look at HQ and way history, as the farm and the day to day workings of the place were a mystery . I had no reason to think I was being lied to, though it was clear from page one that the purpose of the book was to present everything about the way in a positive light. There was no way this all happened in one day, and I got that the interviews and events had been consolidated and arranged for specific reasons, but that didn't cause me to think it was anything but an accurate depiction of life at HQ. I do recall being surprised and questioning the snow, and even then tried to not completely reject it. We all went through a period when we honestly believed the way was genuine and that they would not blatantly lie about such things. I wouldn't have devoted the next eleven years of my life to an organization thatI thought was operating like that. I did laugh at the part where a guy in a bar asks Elena about HQ, and if they sit around and bs about the Bible all day. In my experience that's exactly what went on there, based on the many pages of interviews taking up the first half of the book. I thought the book an entertaining piece of positive propaganda.....which is a far cry from my reaction when i re read it in the 80's when it all hit the fan. I wondered how i could have been so gullible and easily swayed....but of course I had learned a few things since then.

• Upvote 1

I read it early on...I took PFAL summer of '74.  I though it was real, then as a couple of years passed and things started looking iffy, I wanted it to be real.  Met Elaina when we were wows...she came to DC with a photographer to do a story/short film or brochure (don't remember which), so a couple of my fellow wows and I rode around in the car with her for a day.  She seemed nice and I felt privileged to be around someone who was there, man.:rolleyes: 

• Like 1