GreaseSpot Cafe

Euphemisms in the Way

chockfull

You know, all of this funkadelic discussion on plagiarism got me thinking about another common practice in the Way, that of using euphemisms.  Like for example, Victor Paul Wierwille's research.  Currently, the Way expresses Wierwille's blatant, widespread, and Machiavellian plagiarism as "he learned from many sources".    This would be classified as a euphamism, as someone probably would be OK with taking a class from someone who has "learned from many sources".  However, if you state the truth more plainly, not many would want to take a class from someone who

"stole material like a starving robber jay at a campsite picnic table".  

So what experiences do you have from the Way with respect to "euphamisms"? 

eu·phe·mism
[ˈyo͞ofəˌmizəm]

NOUN
  1. a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.The opposite of dysphemism.
    "“downsizing” as a euphemism for cuts"
    synonyms: polite term · substitute · mild alternative · indirect term · understatement · underplaying · softening · politeness · genteelism · coy term

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

"not spiritually mature enough" - or, "still hasn't finished their first glass of Kool-Aid."

"not worth their salt" or, "socially shun this person to finish their Kool-Aid."

This might be a bit off-topic, but (to me) it still relates because it's along the lines of changing wording to suit one's own perspective. It has to do with The Way's "literal translations, according to usage". This classic example of mine (which I hope you'll enjoy, along with me) is as follows: :rolleyes:

“These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, [to determine] whether those things were so.” (Act 17:11 - KJV)

The word whether is very interesting here. When this verse is worked honestly, it really means: “by searching the scriptures daily, they could determine for themselves whether or not what they had been taught made sense to them (that is: whether those things were so).

For all they knew, there was potential for it not to line up with the scriptures they had at hand. And they could comprehend this merely by comparing it on their own, so they could plainly see for themselves if what they had heard was really the truth. Now—this is what God calls being noble.

[And this is very simple to see: The word whether is the Greek word “ei”. Of the 292 times it occurs in the NT, it’s translated “if” 242 times. So—we can read this verse “and searched the scriptures daily, [to determine] IF those things were so.”.]

But TWI had a different slant on this verse! They teach it just as though the Greek word “ei” should be translated “that” instead of “if”. In other words: “You work exactly what we showed you, until you can see for yourself that those things are so."  Let’s show that another way --- by using the scripture verse again: :biglaugh:

[What TWI says is in red font --- and replaces what’s been crossed out.]

"These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word the teachings of The Way with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures only within those teachings (also including what was taught about them elsewhere, by looking up all the verses used --- via The Way International Publications Scripture Index...and reading all of those articles as well) daily, whether those things were so. proving to themselves that what was already taught to them was the absolute truth of the Word of God --- because they had made it their own!

Now—that’s not what I consider being noble --- it’s what I call being puppets on a string! :jump:

Edited by spectrum49
grammar
  • Like 1

You might be curious about a few threads that might have some of the expressions you want....

"Third Aid and other twi catchphrases"- http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/topic/4372-third-aid-and-other-twi-catchphrases/

twi ii terms http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/topic/4470-twi-ii-terms/

Phrases to manipulate us with   http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/topic/4620-phrases-to-manipulate-us-with/

Wayspeak and Greasespot-speak.

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/topic/4350-way-speak-and-greasespot-speak/

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/topic/4734-way-speak-and-greasespot-speak/

Wayspeak- Greasespot Cafe Dictionary

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/topic/4735-wayspeak-greasespot-cafe-dictionary/

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 10:43 AM, Bolshevik said:

"not worth their salt" or, "socially shun this person to finish their Kool-Aid."

I've seen this one circulate in the phrases the Pharisees whisper to each other.

"Lost their salt" is now the common accusation against leaders who disagree with RFR in any circumstance.   They are whispered about as such at the highest levels, and covered over with silence at levels below that so that lead Pharisees are protected and will never need to put their lilly white tushy on a seat in a courtroom deposition again.

Here's another one - "Biblical Research, Teaching, and Fellowship ministry"

where the practice is to cast out anyone who does Biblical research other than that originating from what Wierwille plagiarized.

one more - this one is a personal pet peeve.

"Would you be blessed to .... ?"    where the only expected appropriate response is "of course. I always am blessed to serve."

That prepositional phrase needs Round-Up sprayed on it.

Edited by chockfull

There's no strangers at The Way, just a friend you haven't met

On 4/2/2018 at 9:55 AM, waysider said:

"Opportunity"...

Them: "Sounds like you have an opportunity."

Me: "No, what I have is a big freakin' problem."

LOL.  I remember that type of exchange.  I always had an inner voice going on.  Kind of like:

Them:  "Sounds like you have an opportunity.  You know we don't call them problems around here because that's negative believing.  Instead, we call them opportunities to believe God".

Me: "Yes, that's true".  Also Me (inner voice):  "No, @$$h0l3, now I have 2 problems.  One is my original problem.  The other one is not punching you in your large bezookus right now."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"Walk by the spirit, not by sight", "God's Way  or the World's", "be spiritually aware", "SIT until you don't recognize yourself"  -->  "Practice habitual lying until you reach a state delusional paranoia, learn to become comfortable in this altered consciousness by deciding it's everyone else who is in the wrong"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/8/2018 at 12:31 PM, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

There's no strangers at The Way, just a friend you haven't met

Howard Allen back in the early 70's, I think he quoted Will Rogers(kind of)

While that statement is true, it was abused, meaning you need to see things from my perspective(VPW, LCM, CG, RR) because we have God's ear.

Do think they over-spiritualized a lot of it?  Cause there's too much spiritual, too little spiritual, and spiritual that is just right.  But if you go too far, just cite the spiritual anger.  Cause that way everyone else can be responsible for how you're feeling.  Not that you're feeling, cause that's senses realm, not spiritual.

Probably more like Grumpy Cat

On 4/2/2018 at 4:04 PM, spectrum49 said:

But TWI had a different slant on this verse! They teach it just as though the Greek word “ei” should be translated “that” instead of “if”. In other words: “You work exactly what we showed you, until you can see for yourself that those things are so." 

Exactly!  I have encountered a few honest way corps that actually said until I could understand it.  But that is still a major twisting of the Word.

"would you be blessed to..."  and then whatever it is they wanted you to do.

I never understood what the problem was with just asking, "Would you do such and such?"  I'm sure hardly anyone would have said no, unless their schedule was too tight.  But with the "blessed to" question, it seemed to have put more pressure on people.

1 hour ago, Taxidev said:

"would you be blessed to..."  and then whatever it is they wanted you to do.

I never understood what the problem was with just asking, "Would you do such and such?"  I'm sure hardly anyone would have said no, unless their schedule was too tight.  But with the "blessed to" question, it seemed to have put more pressure on people.

All of these "euphemisms" have become, as you (all or most GSC readers) know, cult jargon.

The jargon in cults has multiple effects.

1. The group members feel understood because they all use the same words and it generates a sense of camaraderie (and elitism - see below).
  2. New people may feel left out and often want to learn what the words and phrases mean, drawing them deeper into the mindset of the cult.
  3. Complex situations are often reduced to a few words, and this begins to shut down the critical thinking of the members.
  4. The words and phrases can dictate how the members should act in certain situations without having to make decisions. For example, one group had a phrase that meant that seniors in the hierarchy of the group were always right. So if there were any problems or disagreements, the phrase sorted everything out!
  5. When the jargon is second nature, talking to outsiders may become tedious and awkward and this keeps group members isolated from outside influences.

Elitist mentality

The group members feel understood because they all use the same words and it generates a sense of camaraderie (and elitism - see below).New people may feel left out and often want to learn what the words and phrases mean, drawing them deeper into the mindset of the cult.Complex situations are often reduced to a few words, and this begins to shut down the critical thinking of the members.The words and phrases can dictate how the members should act in certain situations without having to make decisions. For example, one group had a phrase that meant that seniors in the hierarchy of the group were always right. So if there were any problems or disagreements, the phrase sorted everything out!When the jargon is second nature, talking to outsiders may become tedious and awkward and this keeps group members isolated from outside influences.

The end justifies the means

Because they are doing very important things like god's work, or saving the earth, rescuing mankind, or simply doing 'The Work, members are led to believe that lying, cheating, and deceiving outsiders for money or getting them to come along to the group is justified.

And remember that many group leaders are psychopaths. This means they have no empathy, guilt or remorse. Ever!

Add to this their inflated sense of self worth, grandiosity and sense of entitlement, and they believe they can do whatever they like, take what they want, abuse whoever they please etc. etc. without any consideration for others. For them the end always justifies the means.

• Like 1