GreaseSpot Cafe

Euphemisms in the Way

chockfull

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

All of these "euphemisms" have become, as you (all or most GSC readers) know, cult jargon.

The jargon in cults has multiple effects.

1. The group members feel understood because they all use the same words and it generates a sense of camaraderie (and elitism - see below).
  2. New people may feel left out and often want to learn what the words and phrases mean, drawing them deeper into the mindset of the cult.
  3. Complex situations are often reduced to a few words, and this begins to shut down the critical thinking of the members.
  4. The words and phrases can dictate how the members should act in certain situations without having to make decisions. For example, one group had a phrase that meant that seniors in the hierarchy of the group were always right. So if there were any problems or disagreements, the phrase sorted everything out!
  5. When the jargon is second nature, talking to outsiders may become tedious and awkward and this keeps group members isolated from outside influences.

Elitist mentality

The group members feel understood because they all use the same words and it generates a sense of camaraderie (and elitism - see below).New people may feel left out and often want to learn what the words and phrases mean, drawing them deeper into the mindset of the cult.Complex situations are often reduced to a few words, and this begins to shut down the critical thinking of the members.The words and phrases can dictate how the members should act in certain situations without having to make decisions. For example, one group had a phrase that meant that seniors in the hierarchy of the group were always right. So if there were any problems or disagreements, the phrase sorted everything out!When the jargon is second nature, talking to outsiders may become tedious and awkward and this keeps group members isolated from outside influences.

The end justifies the means

Because they are doing very important things like god's work, or saving the earth, rescuing mankind, or simply doing 'The Work, members are led to believe that lying, cheating, and deceiving outsiders for money or getting them to come along to the group is justified.

And remember that many group leaders are psychopaths. This means they have no empathy, guilt or remorse. Ever!

Add to this their inflated sense of self worth, grandiosity and sense of entitlement, and they believe they can do whatever they like, take what they want, abuse whoever they please etc. etc. without any consideration for others. For them the end always justifies the means.

Great stuff, Rocky – thanks !

I find that stuff on cult jargon so interesting ! A lot of this stuff has been mentioned before on numerous threads – and for me it always gets more engrossing the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time around…I found this article How does language shape the way we think 

In an excerpt from that link, the author Lera  Boroditsky   says:

“For a long time, the idea that language might shape thought was considered at best untestable and more often simply wrong. Research in my labs at Stanford University and at MIT has helped reopen this question. We have collected data around the world: from China, Greece, Chile, Indonesia, Russia, and Aboriginal Australia. What we have learned is that people who speak different languages do indeed think differently and that even flukes of grammar can profoundly affect how we see the world. Language is a uniquely human gift, central to our experience of being human. Appreciating its role in constructing our mental lives brings us one step closer to understanding the very nature of humanity.”

== == == == 

...Here’s my 2-bit theory - in the context of cult jargon – it seems logical to me that any group wishing to form some sort of a template for thinking a certain way – the subliminal path of crafting finely tuned and tweaked words and phrases is the way to go! I guess it doesn't always have to be "crafted" or well-thought-out...

...spontaneity or something along the collective-consciousness-current could figure into all of this too...some folks might be real proud to be known for coining a phrase - - man, when I recall the phrase "let's go bar witnessing" that can still generate TWI-daze-flashbacks - whoever came up with that beaut ought to be whipped with a limp swizzle stick  :biglaugh: so I imagine language of even a cult group does not always have to be “dictated” by the leaders…it’s possible some words or phrases could catch on in popularity at the grass roots level…

...I guess jargon doesn’t necessarily always have to be a bad thing – but I would think if it puts you in a “box” – limiting the way you frame an issue – limiting your options - then I believe it might be very challenging for someone entrenched in that “language” (jargon) to think outside the box...That’s probably the “best case scenario” in the hopes and dreams of nefarious cult leaders anyway :spy:

What little I’ve read on language development, I found one widely held theory is the evolutionary adaptation – which basically suggests a group of folks – over time - undergo a change in how they process thought and communication to better survive...See  How did Language Evolve?  ...so I guess if there is a group-think mentality - there's probably some kind of group-survival-instinct too... i dunno...just thinking out loud...hope I'm not too loud. :biglaugh:

Edited by T-Bone
clarity
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Great stuff, Rocky – thanks !

I find that stuff on cult jargon so interesting ! A lot of this stuff has been mentioned before on numerous threads – and for me it always gets more engrossing the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time around…I found this article How does language shape the way we think 

In an excerpt from that link, the author Lera  Boroditsky   says:

“For a long time, the idea that language might shape thought was considered at best untestable and more often simply wrong. Research in my labs at Stanford University and at MIT has helped reopen this question. We have collected data around the world: from China, Greece, Chile, Indonesia, Russia, and Aboriginal Australia. What we have learned is that people who speak different languages do indeed think differently and that even flukes of grammar can profoundly affect how we see the world. Language is a uniquely human gift, central to our experience of being human. Appreciating its role in constructing our mental lives brings us one step closer to understanding the very nature of humanity.”

== == == == 

...Here’s my 2-bit theory - in the context of cult jargon – it seems logical to me that any group wishing to form some sort of a template for thinking a certain way – the subliminal path of crafting finely tuned and tweaked words and phrases is the way to go! I guess it doesn't always have to be "crafted" or well-thought-out...

...spontaneity or something along the collective consciousness current could figure into all of this too...some folks might be real proud to be known for coining a phrase. so I imagine language of even a cult group does not always have to be “dictated” by the leaders…it’s possible some words or phrases could catch on in popularity at the grass roots level…I guess jargon doesn’t necessarily always have to be a bad thing – but I would think if it puts you in a “box” – limiting the way you frame an issue – then I believe it might be very challenging for someone entrenched in that “language” (jargon) to think outside the box.

What little I’ve read on language development, I found one widely held theory is the evolutionary adaptation – which basically suggests a group of folks – over time - undergo a change in how they process thought and communication to better survive...See  How did Language Evolve?  ...so I guess if there is a group-think mentality - there's probably some kind of group-survival-instinct too... i dunno...just thinking out loud...hope I'm not too loud. :biglaugh:

Thinking outside the box indeed. That appears to be the bottom line.

Me:  This is probably just my “old man” talking - but I’ve sat through the class five times and still have a lot of questions…sometimes I think the ministry is just stringing me along with a repetitive cycle that goes nowhere.

Them:  Just renew your mind…and why don’t you get more involved in the class starting in two weeks  - help with setup or getting new students there. I think you’ll really get blessed from that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rocky said:

Add to this their inflated sense of self worth, grandiosity and sense of entitlement, and they believe they can do whatever they like, take what they want, abuse whoever they please etc. etc. without any consideration for others. For them the end always justifies the means.

Sounds like classic LCM to me.

14 hours ago, Rocky said:

Complex situations are often reduced to a few words, and this begins to shut down the critical thinking of the members.

I've seen this in many groups, and of course TWI.  I've known people that are almost like robots because of this, or act like this activates a hypnotic spell.  It's pretty scary, actually.  Talk about group think!

LCM used to teach, specifically when people are in school, to say what you need to say to get an A.  Then forget it and get back to truth.

Wayfers often know how to jump between communication skills.  I believe this is seen at all levels. 

Keeping in mind they've chosen to frame everyone else as "the World"  (elitism)