GreaseSpot Cafe

Will buy Athletes of the Spirit

ExCorpsArtist

10 minutes ago, johniam said:

I actually owe my existence to the fact that the guy's plane went down in the Atlantic.

????????? Tell us more!

(Maybe on "My Story" so as not to distract from this (slow-moving) thread.)

I said previously that my mother was placed in a foster home that worked out. That was in 1924, when she was 14. Over the next not quite 20 years, she got married and had 3 kids. Then in 1943 my dad got hired by Lear Inc. as an engineer. First they moved him to Piqua, OH. Then 2 years later they moved him to Grand Rapids, MI where I was born and raised. 

The foster brother I keep referring to was named Jack. In early August of 1953 Jack's mother died, so my mom's family came to St. Louis for the funeral. They were planning to stay there for one week, which became 3 weeks. Jack was at the funeral, but he was still military, so after his mom's funeral his first assignment was to fly that cargo plane, which crashed and killed him. It took about 2 weeks for them to fish his body out of the ocean and get him to St. Louis for HIS funeral. 

My mom, dad, and 3 children were staying with my dad's parents, who were empty nesters by then. They lived in a house the size of a small cottage. With 7 people staying there, I'm guessing privacy was pretty much non existent. One fateful day, privacy was available...but they had no prophylactics. (all this was told to me by my elder sister, who was 13 at the time) So my mom and dad just took a chance. THAT is how I got here.

My parents were both 43 when I was born and my siblings were all more than 10 years older than me. From man's pov I was not planned. From God's...much stranger things have happened. That's pretty much it.

• Upvote 1

quote: 

????????? Tell us more!

(Maybe on "My Story" so as not to distract from this (slow-moving) thread.)

Slow moving? Functionally, the thread is complete. Someone requested a copy of AOS and got it. The rest is...deep thoughts by Jack Handy gravy.