GreaseSpot Cafe

Athletes of The Spirit

JavaJane

5 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

WW, I did not know there was a first AOTS, without LCM.  Thanks for the information.

It didn't start with a full-scale production. When he was in college, lcm was an athlete and was in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, where the phrase "athlete of the spirit" was mentioned here and there.  After getting full-scale into twi, lcm had a small production done with the name, with Haywood and Murphy as the leads.  After lcm was in charge, he saw the Travolta movie "Staying Alive." He decided to plagiarize the "Satan's Alley" scene of the musical they were performing in the movie.  So, he padded out the old thing and ended up with something that wasn't several minutes long, but 2 freaking hours.  In doing this, he also had Ephesians 6:10-17 completely rewritten with athletic imagery and said this was ok to do- an "expanded translation according to usage."   He said we were athletes and that replaced the "soldiers of the Lord" (and skipped all other imagery like planting and watering.)

Anyway, he wasn't in the original little presentation, but when he expanded it, he made sure he filled 2 roles- narrator on-set and male lead despite having no rhythm and no dance experience.  Those who were walking around the grounds at the time can get into specifics again.

I never saw "Staying Alive" but I just watched a couple of clips on YouTube.  Wow!  Yet more plagiarism!!  Extended plagiarism!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Ohmygod watching the one video on YouTube that I can find from athletes...I don’t even have the words.

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Art-Daybook-Inside-the-memory-of-a-cult-13066647.php

This is a review of the installation. Sounds like he captured the confusion and darkness of cult life (sorry if someone else already posted this).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BecomingMe said:

Ohmygod watching the one video on YouTube that I can find from athletes...I don’t even have the words.

https://www.chron.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Art-Daybook-Inside-the-memory-of-a-cult-13066647.php

This is a review of the installation. Sounds like he captured the confusion and darkness of cult life (sorry if someone else already posted this).

Priceless! Thanks for the link.

• Upvote 1

Just walked through Complex 3.  I can tell you that I am proud of myself.  Although I exclaimed "Jesus Christ!!" when I came around the corner and came face to face with a floating bubble of a huge Craig Martindale face, I was able to stand and watch and listen without any sense of fear or anxiety.  I was able to face that.

Now let's see if I get the old PTSD nightmares tonight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JavaJane said:

Just walked through Complex 3.  I can tell you that I am proud of myself.  Although I exclaimed "Jesus Christ!!" when I came around the corner and came face to face with a floating bubble of a huge Craig Martindale face, I was able to stand and watch and listen without any sense of fear or anxiety.  I was able to face that.

JJ, :love3:

11 hours ago, JavaJane said:

art imitating life in the corps

No, JJ.  Martindale is a very long way from Jesus Christ. :spy:

But I can certainly understand anyone blanching and/or uttering some expletive.

I wonder if LCM and/or TWI are aware of this exhibition, and if so, whether they have considered legal action.  I don't suppose for one minute that they authorized the use of the AoS video or LCM's image.

• 1 year later...