GreaseSpot Cafe

Moving the Word

chockfull

So recently in discussion with the RnR railroad folks, we have learned that they are "moving the Word".  However, we here at GSC are not "moving the Word".

I honestly have not thought about that particular phrase in a long time.  I do remember it being quite the topic of conversation when we were filling out Jehovah's Witness style "outreach plans" to turn in to our "overseers".  Ah, the life of "moving the Word" through the diligent application of the Vision and Direction document.  The only thing Biblically I can relate that to reflecting back is the children of Israel in Exodus 5:7 when they told the slave masters to no longer give them straw to make bricks, but they had to find their own straw.  

It's like a volunteer no base full commission sales job.  Without the pay.  Why wouldn't people want to "move the Word"?  

So, time for a litmus test.

What is 

moving the Word

to you?

True vs False

Cult vs Genuine

God vs Man

Help me out here 'Spotters.  I want to be "moving the Word".  It sounds so cool.  Any advice?

• Like 1

So if the Word is like Jesus in the flesh, and we are "moving the Word" does that also mean we are moving Jesus around?  Why?  I thought he had this miraculous new body where he could "beam himself up Scotty" like in Star Trek.  He's got much better mobility than me.

Random thoughts on "moving the Word".

• Upvote 1

How do other folks "move the Word"???

Hmmmm.  

The church I loosely associate with makes people pay for barbecue and go out on this one guy's ranch and shoot guns and drink beer.  I guess sometimes random new people get the idea and like to shoot guns and drink beer and also join.  Also, they give out a sh1t t0n of Halloween candy.  And invite cool looking bands in and popular speakers with motivational messages.  They give out free donuts and have greeters, although after reflection it is still undecided on whether the greeters have a net positive or net negative effect there.

Stupid jargon phrase.  Anyway, I don't know anybody except TWI that uses that phrase.

Maybe, "speaking the Word" or "speaking the gospel" is better.  In church we talk more about "outreach" or "evangelism."

One of my favorite "hated phrases" is "the Word of God is the will of God."  Sounds good.  Pretty meaningless, at least in the way TWI used it.

• Like 1

Mormons.  How do Mormons "move the Word"????

I think they have a very well formulated plan.  They dress up their youngsters in ridiculous looking monkey suits and send them out in the world without transportation.  If they are rich, they go to an exotic place like Japan.  If they are poor, they go next door to Iowa.  Then they spend the next 2 years biking around being ridiculed by the world.

After this, they are thus prepared to be a Mormon for the rest of their adult life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Stupid jargon phrase.  Anyway, I don't know anybody except TWI that uses that phrase.

Maybe, "speaking the Word" or "speaking the gospel" is better.  In church we talk more about "outreach" or "evangelism."

One of my favorite "hated phrases" is "the Word of God is the will of God."  Sounds good.  Pretty meaningless, at least in the way TWI used it.

The jargon controls the person.  I would agree that almost any phrase is better.  

Yeah "the Word of God is the will of God" is another meaningless dumb catch phrase.   When someone quotes that to me I feel like telling them they should go find one of the long "begat" sections and f off because it's God's will for them.

• Upvote 1

Is this thread going somewhere?  Well, having some fun and examining a cult originated catch phrase.

moving the Word over the World was like the pie in the sky yellow submarine cool thing to be doing with your life back when we were youngsters the same age as the Mormon missionaries.

In reality, "moving the Word" - is it nothing more than language of control?  Language of influence?  an incentive towards division in the body of Christ?  i.e. they are "moving the Word" but others are not.  

What activities consist of "moving the Word"?

• Sitting in council meetings for a splinter deciding to semi-organize a weekly teaching
  • Having your own home church where people can focus on you and your biblical knowledge
  • YouTube channel
  • Videos for YouTube channel

I dunno. It all just piles higher and deeper the further you go with this concept.  

Edited by chockfull

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

I think they have a very well formulated plan.  They dress up their youngsters in ridiculous looking monkey suits and send them out in the world without transportation.  If they are rich, they go to an exotic place like Japan.  If they are poor, they go next door to Iowa.  Then they spend the next 2 years biking around being ridiculed by the world.

After this, they are thus prepared to be a Mormon for the rest of their adult life.

Chock, many Mormons get tired of the Bull--it, and leave the Church.  I think the ones who do this, are called "Jack Mormons."  The Mormon Church, doesn't like to discuss how many people leave the Church, every year.

12 hours ago, chockfull said:

So recently in discussion with the RnR railroad folks, we have learned that they are "moving the Word".  However, we here at GSC are not "moving the Word".

I honestly have not thought about that particular phrase in a long time.  I do remember it being quite the topic of conversation when we were filling out Jehovah's Witness style "outreach plans" to turn in to our "overseers".  Ah, the life of "moving the Word" through the diligent application of the Vision and Direction document.  The only thing Biblically I can relate that to reflecting back is the children of Israel in Exodus 5:7 when they told the slave masters to no longer give them straw to make bricks, but they had to find their own straw.  

It's like a volunteer no base full commission sales job.  Without the pay.  Why wouldn't people want to "move the Word"?  

What is 

moving the Word

to you?

True vs False

Cult vs Genuine

God vs Man

Help me out here 'Spotters.  I want to be "moving the Word".  It sounds so cool.  Any advice?

I’ve become so jaded of TWI’s usage of “The Word”:

Moving the Word

The Word in Business

The Word in Music  

etcetera, etcetera 

it all was about moving a product 

As well as other phrases like the Word of God is the Will of God – especially with the tag line it means what it says and says what it means

Those sneaky self-assuming hypocrites ! what really turns me off about it – is that it sounds so authoritative – “The Word” – like an “in-the-beginning-was-the-Word” type of thing – it sounds so official…definitive…trustworthy…approved…authorized …but if you look past all the smoke and mirrors, what it all boiled down to was really just wierwille’s word on the matter…he didn't know squat about the biblical languages...lied about his credentials...plagiarized like it was going out of style...if his teaching of "the word" was so great - if it was indeed the rightly divided word - it should be able to stand up to some scrutiny - and it can't - it fails miserably ! and it didn't take a bunch of super-smart Bible scholars to blow him out of the water - just some simple questions forwarded by dissatisfied "customers" who experienced repeated failures of the product.

and I think he mastered the fine art of bull$hit origami – he could fold and twist scripture into whatever shape he wanted to…make it say whatever he wanted :CUSSING:

oh yeah, the word of god is the will of god – it means what it says and says what it means - - but class, you  also have to remember the context, to whom it is addressed, what administration we’re dealing with, the law of believing, how spiritually advanced you are, all the chicks in the kingdom belong to the king, unto the pure all things are pure, as long as you love god and love your neighbor’s wife –  ahem – I mean, love your neighbor, you can do as you full well please…so class, in I Corinthians 6 where it talks about adultery – it means spiritual adultery – not physical adultery. That’s where you’re shacking up with other gods…so you see the word means what it says and says what it means… unless I tell you otherwise…that’s why you should master my Blue Book VP Tells Me So”.

For me "moving the word" in the context of TWI and offshoots really means promoting wierwille’s twisted doctrine and practice…that has about as much authority as a bowel movement…same old $hit, different toilet...this has all been just my opinion, of course.

Edited by T-Bone
clarity and formatting
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

I’ve become so jaded of TWI’s usage of “The Word”:

Moving the Word

The Word in Business

The Word in Music  

etcetera, etcetera 

it all was about moving a product 

As well as other phrases like the Word of God is the Will of God – especially with the tag line it means what it says and says what it means

Those sneaky self-assuming hypocrites ! what really turns me off about it – is that it sounds so authoritative – “The Word” – like an “in the beginning was the Word” type of thing – it sounds so official…definitive…trustworthy…approved…authorized …but if you look past all the smoke and mirrors, what it all boiled down to was really just wierwille’s word on the matter…he didn't know squat about the biblical languages...lied about his credentials...plagiarized like it was going out of style...if his teaching of "the word" was so great - if it was indeed the rightly divided word - it should be able to stand up to some scrutiny - and it can't - it fails miserably ! and it didn't take a bunch of super-smart Bible scholars to blow him out of the water - just some simple questions forwarded by dissatisfied "customers" who experienced repeated failures of the product.

and I think he mastered the fine art of bull$hit origami – he could fold and twist scripture into whatever shape he wanted to…make it say whatever he wanted :CUSSING:

oh yeah, the word of god is the will of god – it means what it says and says what it means - - but class, you  also have to remember the context, to whom it is addressed, what administration we’re dealing with, the law of believing, how spiritually advanced you are, all the chicks in the kingdom belong to the king, unto the pure all things are pure, as long as you love god and love your neighbor’s wife –  ahem – I mean, love your neighbor, you can do as you full well please…so class, in I Corinthians 6 where it talks about adultery – it means spiritual adultery – not physical adultery. That’s where you’re shacking up with other gods…so you see the word means what it says and says what it means… unless I tell you otherwise…that’s why you should master my Blue Book VP Tells Me So”.

For me "moving the word" in the context of TWI and offshoots really means promoting wierwille’s twisted doctrine and practice…that has about as much authority as a bowel movement…same old $hit, different toilet...this has all been just my opinion, of course.

T-Bone, :knuddel:

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

I know I know I know I know.

The Gideons

Leaving Bibles in Motel 6 nightstands across America.  And smuggling them into countries where they are risking their lives.

They are truly

moving the Word

:spy::spy::spy:

Can you top this? East China has a printing company that is moving more Bibles down the production line than any one else in the world

Big printer of Bibles

with order of 6 or more you get words of Christ in red.

Edited by T-Bone
Emphasis
  • Upvote 1

On 6/1/2018 at 9:46 AM, chockfull said:

So if the Word is like Jesus in the flesh, and we are "moving the Word" does that also mean we are moving Jesus around?  Why?  I thought he had this miraculous new body where he could "beam himself up Scotty" like in Star Trek.  He's got much

Random thoughts on "moving the Word".

Chock, great post!! :eusa_clap:

On 6/1/2018 at 9:52 AM, chockfull said:

How do other folks "move the Word"???

Hmmmm.  

The church I loosely associate with makes people pay for barbecue and go out on this one guy's ranch and shoot guns and drink beer.  I guess sometimes random new people get the idea and like to shoot guns and drink beer and also join.  Also, they give out a sh1t t0n of Halloween candy.  And invite cool looking bands in and popular speakers with motivational messages.  They give out free donuts and have greeters, although after reflection it is still undecided on whether the greeters have a net positive or net negative effect there.

Chock, guns and Beer seem like a terrible combination to me!  No way, would I go any place, where people are drinking, and shooting guns!!!:asdf:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Chock, guns and Beer seem like a terrible combination to me!  No way, would I go any place, where people are drinking, and shooting guns!!!:asdf:

To clarify it was two separate parts of the day with different tickets to each.   The first part was skeet shooting / target shooting during the afternoon, then beer and drinks with dinner and during the evening while the firearms are put away.  Some attended both, others just one.  

It was not like redneck hunting, where folks are dedicated to combining alcohol, motor vehicles, spotlights, and firearms.   LOL  :dance:

21 minutes ago, chockfull said:

To clarify it was two separate parts of the day with different tickets to each.   The first part was skeet shooting / target shooting during the afternoon, then beer and drinks with dinner and during the evening while the firearms are put away.  Some attended both, others just one.  

It was not like redneck hunting, where folks are dedicated to combining alcohol, motor vehicles, spotlights, and firearms.   LOL  :dance:

Chock, thanks for the clarification.

17 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Chock, thanks for the clarification.

Hey I don't want to make it sound too good.  Otherwise Linder will print it off and hand it to the Board of Dummies for an "outreach idea".

LOL.

If I have caused other image problems for myself with descriptions of Halloween candy, motivational speakers, or donuts please let me know.   Oh there's a food truck advertised too.  Really it's not that spectacular, nothing any ordinary community church is not doing.  I'm loosely associated mostly because I have a couple idiot friends that go there and they roped me in.   Since you guys are so curious and all.  Sometimes I attend church.  Sometimes I do a small group there.  Other times I disappear for months and nobody calls me about church.  Even my idiot friends.  They call me for other things.  Idiot things.

:jump:

Edited by chockfull

I like to listen to different Bible teachers on You-tube and read books about the Bible from different scholars.  There are many many people who have studied the Bible for years and have a lot to share.  It now amazes me that I accepted one class as the final say on God's Word.  We were programmed that we were not to consider any teachings from any other source other than VP or PFAL or the higher-ups in TWI. Blows my mind now that I look back on it.  We were led to think that we were so special and we had the Truth, unlike all the other schlubs in the body of Christ who didn't have the knowledge that WE had.   Oh yes, we were SO special.

And I would like to add that sometimes these Bible teachers don't agree. Does that mean I have to close myself off?  The worst that can happen is I have to know I don't know about something.

Edited by outandabout
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Don’t know about “moving the Word,” but it strikes me that as far as WoG=WoG goes,  this is the Will of God:

Ezekiel 33:11- Say to them: 'As surely as I live, declares the Lord GOD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked should turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways!

And

I Tim 2:3-4 - This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

I doubt that much that we did helped people make the decision to “turn from their ways,” nor “come to a knowledge of the truth.”  Unfortunately (God forgive us), too much that we did moved people into mere existence, and not “life in all its fullness.”

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 9:35 AM, chockfull said:

What is 

moving the Word

to you?

True vs False

Cult vs Genuine

God vs Man

Chock, if you move your Bible, from one room to another room, is that moving The Word??

On 6/1/2018 at 9:54 AM, chockfull said:

Chock, thank God I am not a Mormon; I wouldn't want to be in a cult for the rest of my life.