GreaseSpot Cafe

Marketing the Wierwille-Mystique

skyrider

16 hours ago, Rocky said:

However, it also has occurred to me that "critical thinking" is the antithesis of the Wierwille Mystique. Skyrider, perhaps you could weigh in on that idea.

Rocky.........first and foremost, wierwille was the one responsible for his own conduct and manner of life.  He should have desired to be upright and meek before the Lord and labored to serve the downtrodden, the burdened, the broken, and the outcasts to turn their ways to the Lord.  

The antithesis of the Wierwille-Mystique:  Had Wierwille lived his life truthfully and honestly.

• Clean Slate.........where wierwille didn't need to project himself to be something that he was not [i.e. the wierwille-mystique].
  • Open and honest history of The Way Ministry starting its independent undertaking December 19, 1957.
  • Keynoting that Rev. B.G. Leonard's foundational class was the cornerstone of wierwille's class-based standard and operation.
  • No Plagiarism from other men's work or ministries.  Give J.E. Stiles and E.W. Bullinger credit for research/literary achievements.
  • Never to have fabricated that bullschitt revelation-story about snow-on-the-gas-pumps. 
  • That Youth Caravan Chimes Hour Radio Broadcast as the "start of twi".............LOL
  • And, most importantly........if he believed that the 9 manifestations were all-important.........then DO THEM.
  • Walk in power.......and wierwille wouldn't have needed to build this mystique, this myth.
  • If signs, miracles and wonders are happening..............the Lord is present.

Now, for us.............."critical thinking" is the antithesis of wierwille's contrived mystique.  All of these gaping holes where the "dots clearly don't connect."  Personally, I never saw wierwille do ONE of the "big six manifestations".........not one time!  And, his temperament, and patience and conduct was NOT suited for a minister and/or pastor.  The Scriptures highlighted a list in I Timothy 3......of which, wierwille did not qualify.  So, I held out hope that twi would move beyond wierwille and others would rise up and carry the torch. Given that wierwille died of cancer and stated adamantly in his advanced classes that "cancer was a devil spirit".......Huge Red Flags. 

Having been in marketing classes, I was drawn to twi by its "Biblical Research" aspect.  For a time, I really thought that twi and its research team would continue to uncover more and more truths that would empower us in Christian living.  My two years as a WOW Ambassador had their God-moments, but were hit-and-miss a large part of the time.  My 6th corps wow brother talked me into signing up for the corps program.......telling me that I'd receive the training like no other.  Yet, after two months of in-residence corps program, I was deeply disappointed and felt like I was being herded around.  I didn't label it "indoctrination" back then.......but it sure wasn't like my college education and open discourse.

Wierwille was a narcissist..........and religion was his playground. 

1. Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
  2. Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
  3. Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
  4. Needing continual admiration from others
  5. Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
  6. Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
  7. Unwilling to empathize with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
  8. Intensely envious of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
  9. Pompous and arrogant demeanor

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

Rocky.........first and foremost, wierwille was the one responsible for his own conduct and manner of life

He should have desired to be upright and meek before the Lord and labored to serve the downtrodden, the burdened, the broken, and the outcasts to turn their ways to the Lord.  

No argument from me on who was responsible for his conduct and manner of life.

And indeed, one could have reasonably expected a minister of the Gospel to have been meek before the Lord... 

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2018 at 9:07 PM, Rocky said:

No argument from me on who was responsible for his conduct and manner of life.

And indeed, one could have reasonably expected a minister of the Gospel to have been meek before the Lord... 

Rocky, good point!  Most of the ministers I have known personally, are/were meek before God.  However, VPW was an exception; he throught he was above us mere mortals.  I believe some day God will reward us for our actions in this world, good or bad.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:32 PM, Taxidev said:

I'm inclined to think it's a combination of these two lines of thought.  Not within a particular individual, but among the individuals, some one way and some the other.  But it's difficult to determine who goes which way.

Either way, to blindly vomit out what VP vomited doesn't do good for others, or themselves.  They have been continuing to hold VP on a pedestal, declaring how they loved this teaching, or that teaching, or how they miss hearing such and such.  I feel fortunate that I wasn't exposed to him.

Taxi, I heard him teach live several times.  Trust me, you didn't miss anything.:angry:

On 6/10/2018 at 7:38 PM, Rocky said:

A sub-topic in the linked wikipedia page on Socrates references the Socratic method.

Perhaps his most important contribution to Western thought is his dialectic method of inquiry, known as the Socratic method or method of "elenchus", which he largely applied to the examination of key moral concepts such as the Good and Justice. It was first described by Plato in the Socratic Dialogues. To solve a problem, it would be broken down into a series of questions, the answers to which gradually distill the answer a person would seek. The development and practice of this method is one of Socrates's most enduring contributions, and is a key factor in earning his mantle as the father of political philosophy, ethics or moral philosophy, and as a figurehead of all the central themes in Western philosophy. The Socratic method has often been considered as a defining element of American legal education.

French philosopher 
Pierre Hadot suggests that the dialogues are a type of spiritual exercise. Hadot writes that "in Plato's view, every dialectical exercise, precisely because it is an exercise of pure thought, subject to the demands of the Logos, turns the soul away from the sensible world, and allows it to convert itself towards the Good."

Rocky, :eusa_clap:

"I got into an argument with my father. I argued that Plato was the father of philosophy. My father took the contrary position that I should wax the kitchen floor.  I said, 'Well, the kitchen floor doesn't exist...at least not in the permanent sense that the CONCEPT  "floor" does.'    He said, 'Does the concept "your skull" exist?'   Then he surprised me by juxtaposing the two concepts."  -  Emo Phillips.

Irrelevant interjection over.  Carry on, everyone.

• Upvote 1