GreaseSpot Cafe

The Original Way Setup...........Changed

skyrider

According to twi's  incorporation papers, constitution and by-laws (1959).......wierwille originally stipulated "that the Board of Directors is a fellowship of all head presbyters of each limb and branch plus such elected directors as the Board of Trustees and International Headquarters deem necessary."

• I seriously doubt that a vote was counted to "elect" directors at headquarters.
  • "Elected" should be termed "selected"

Originally, in other words........the Board of Directors included (cough, cough) limb coordinators and branch coordinators, that gave representation, in making decisions and policies for The Way, Inc.  Perhaps, it was only there to bait the hook............but nonetheless, it shows how wierwille's inclusiveness CHANGED to exclusively give all the decision-making power to the Trustees, and namely Wierwille.

To me, it highlights (again).......how upstart groups evolve and consolidate power.

Wierwille did it...............and so do the splinter groups !!!

~~~~~~~~~

Twi Began Its Independent Undertaking -- December 19, 1957

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:44 PM, skyrider said:

The Way           .   .   . Inc., International

D r.  V i c t o r  P a u l  W i e r w i l l e,     P r e s i d e n t

Branches:  United States,   England,   India

April, 1959

Dear Member of the Board of Directors:

Greetings to you in the precious Name of our living Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!  You will be interested in knowing that we are having good spiritual sessions in the Arcadia Group and next week I hope I can interest the Fort Myers believers in the greatness of this ministry.

Having had a couple of weeks now since the Board Meeting has given all of us time to think.  As Founder and President of The Way, I am seriously alarmed at the apparent secret intents and purposes of some which under lay the recent meeting but which did not emerge open and 'above board.'  I am deeply sorry for all of us if such was the case.  It sounds and tastes too much like a 'church board meeting' with which I have a well rounded experience.  The Way Board of Directors must keep their sights spiritually and ethically higher.  Satan is constantly trying to bring to bear his forces of criticism, doubt, questioning the sincerity and honesty of the leaders, etc.  If we give satan a toehold he will soon have a foothold, not only in our lives but manifested in the greatness of the ministry of the Word of God.

Spiritually, and in every other way, THE WAY is set up to do a world job of teaching.  Our incorporation papers, our constitution and our by-laws, were, I believe, guided by the Lord and are as perfect as is possible for humans to set up.  We all know that no organization is better than the people who run it.  I can not vouch for The Way and what it may or may not do or be after I am gone; but so long as I live I will do my utmost to keep it running in the fashion in which it will be a glory to God.

Perhaps if I shared with you the reasons and purposes for the Board we could be overcomers in all things.  You will recall that "The Way setup" has been handed out in both printed and mimeographed form and a copy or copies have been in your possession.  If you have forgotten you may obtain a new copy from Headquarters.  It stipulates that the Board of Directors is 'a fellowship of all head presbyters of each limb and branch plus such elected directors as the Board of Trustees and International Headquarters deem necessary.'  Note first of all, it is 'a fellowship,' meaning all must be in one accord and 'of one mind and one opinion' as the Word says - - all in the same boat rowing or sailing in the same direction.  No one can conscientiously and honestly serve on the Board who would feel or be other wise.

The board is the vital link in a chain between the individuals and groups of The Way, bringing with them into each Board Meeting the best of everything from the groups, communities, and sections of the Country and World which they represent.  The board brings to The Way the spiritual enthusiasm of its members everywhere,  how best to go on to work out the purposes of The Way.  The Board contributes suggestions, plans, programs of procedure, and any other thing they may have which would help the ministry.

The members of the Board of Directors form the representation to and from the people.  Every director should be informed as to the interests, purposes, procedures and desires of The Way ministry.  The directors in turn enthusiastically invigorate the people in their groups and communities.  The directors answer their questions and help them to keep going and growing.

Furthermore, and this is one of the greatest privileges for serving on the Board.  Take as an illustration that the trustees have decided on a course of action for a certain task.  One man or woman on the Board who is qualified and interested should be given this responsibility for its development.  He could be and should be entitled to choose his fellow workers to get that particular job established and done.  In this way, according to our set up, there should be a great activity and cooperation and many things should be accomplished cumulatively through different yet in united activities for the advancement of The Way ministry by the Board of Directors.

On June the 7th will be the Yearly Meeting.  We are not interested in the negatives and doubts, but interested in developing the positive and good, so as to be able to do a better work for the Lord in carrying out the ministry whereunto He has called us and wherein He has privileged us to serve.

I think it is a privilege to serve on the Board of this wonderful Bible ministry.  I trust you think so too.  When we come together for the meeting on the first Sunday in June may you be inspired deeply within yourself to not only represent the people but to represent God in the Board and to bring to bear positive and suggestive materials and information which will help all of us to more effectively and worthily carry out the purposes and intents of The Way ministry world-wide.

The Lord bless you real good!

Sincerely,

In His Service,

VPW/rb                                                                                                                                                                              Victor Paul Wierwille

Edited by skyrider
  • Upvote 1

Very interesting document- thanks Skyrider!

It can be a long slow road from democracy to tyranny...and the less perceptible the transition is - the less likely a crooked shepherd will spook the sheep when fleecing the flock....a word of wisdom to all those wannabe cult leaders out there: patience, patience oh grate * and pompous ones.

I don’t know if wierwille was always a power-grabbing megalomaniac but regardless - that April 1959 letter to board members is a nice soft sell job; makes me think of his spiel in the mid ‘70s  was it (?) of each Twig or fellowship  is self-propagating, self-supporting and self-governing ( I think it had another part - something like in relation to the next higher unit)...the “greatness” of the trick is getting you to think you have a lot more control than you actually do.

== == == ==

Note * : editorial FYI - “grate” was intentional - referring to the unpleasant rasping sound when tooting one’s own horn.

Edited by T-Bone
Automatic writing is self-drafting, self-editing and self-punctuating

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2018 at 5:17 PM, skyrider said:

The members of the Board of Directors form the representation to and from the people.  Every director should be informed as to the interests, purposes, procedures and desires of The Way ministry.  The directors in turn enthusiastically invigorate the people in their groups and communities.  The directors answer their questions and help them to keep going and growing.

There is blatantly missing the representation FROM the people.  "The directors answer their questions and help them to keep going and growing", apparently only in one direction, the direction TWI wants.  Period.

Very interesting and revealing letter.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously, no negative or critical comments allowed. implication is if you do reject my suggestions/requirements, then you are a cancer to the Body of Christ(Wierwille) and pose a threat to me. Same as McCarthy, Cohen, and Trump, bloated egos.

• Upvote 1