GreaseSpot Cafe

GreaseSpot Fundraiser 2018

pawtucket

Hi there,

I used to be able to absorb the costs of this site.  Things have changed unfortunately.

It costs me about $1200.00 annually. This year, I have received just under $200.00

lf you can afford a donation, it would be much appreciated. It is not required in any way to use this site.

I appreciate all the support in past years, I really do.

The donate button is on every page, upper left.

Thanks.

• Upvote 3

On 9/14/2018 at 12:22 PM, pawtucket said:

Hi there,

I used to be able to absorb the costs of this site.  Things have changed unfortunately.

It costs me about $1200.00 annually. This year, I have received just under $200.00

lf you can afford a donation, it would be much appreciated. It is not required in any way to use this site.

I appreciate all the support in past years, I really do.

The donate button is on every page, upper left.

Thanks.

Ummmm.

https://www.siteground.com/phpbb-hosting.htm

Order of magnitude there.  Just saying.

2 hours ago, chockfull said:

Order of magnitude there.  Just saying.

One can have a virtual server, with some pretty big power, for $60 / month.  phpBB and myBB are both powerful boards and both are free.

The link you show, that GoGeek plan might be big enough for this site, but I don't really have any idea about the traffic level here, or the storage needs.

I had the forums hosted by others for a number of years. 

We were shut down when Twi made complaints. This happened, I believe, twice. 

So the solution was to have my own server. 

And then we wouldn't be shut down. 

I covered the costs out of my own pocket up until a few years back. 

I moved from a physical server to a virtual server a number of years ago to reduce costs. 

Donations are completely voluntary, you are under no obligation to donate. 

I chose the most reliable companies, not the cheapest so there would be the least downtime. 

Companies like SiteGround are great, but they can shut you down. I have to ensure that the site can't get shut down.

I've used PHPBB and I've found that Invision is more robust and have better support when you need it.

Edited by pawtucket
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 9/17/2018 at 8:25 PM, Taxidev said:

One can have a virtual server, with some pretty big power, for $60 / month.  phpBB and myBB are both powerful boards and both are free.

The link you show, that GoGeek plan might be big enough for this site, but I don't really have any idea about the traffic level here, or the storage needs.

If you have no idea, then why don't you say that first, before suggesting I spend too much money.

I have explained why I go with reliability above inexpensive.

I don't know why I even started this thread.

The donations made this week will cover the costs for the next two months, then I will likely close down the site. I have too much else going on to deal with this bickering.  

On 9/17/2018 at 5:25 PM, Taxidev said:

A suggestion probably best if it had been made privately, if at all. GSC is about 18 years old now. I trust that Pawtucket has properly evaluated his options. I'm thankful for this service he has provided. I made a meager donation, wish I could afford more.

• Upvote 1

Pawtucket has taken the “brunt” of this place from the day of it’s inception. Financially, socially, and emotionally.

This site has benefited tens of thousands of people through it’s 18 year history. I have never questioned the choices Paw and Greasy Tech had to make through the years, to secure the site and it’s contents from the constant attacks from those destructive cults who have been vividly exposed to the light of REAL FACTS and not mere obfuscation and cult triple-speak which offshoots need to survive. From Wierwille to Da Dancing Forehead and his Board Of Terrorists, to Rose-a-lie and Donna and the Rise of The Lesbian Mogettes, through Waydale and the Allen case, to the disaster of the last 18 years of incompetence, hubris, psychosocial insanity, and the institutionalization of dictor paul’s personal peccadilloes of Nazi fascism, serial sexual predation, perversely distorted and self-serving “Christian theology”, along with continued outworking of their own most distasteful psychiatric dysfunctions, to the phony selection of Yves-de-liar as the “new prez” and the defections, mutinies, and splinters which followed, The Greasespot has been here! Why try to fix what ain’t broke??? 

Like Rocky, I am not financially able to donate much at all. But, i’d rather see the Cafe close down than tell Pawtucket how I think he should run his site. That’s just me. And, YES! I am personally biased. The man has endured so much beyond what many of you and I know. He is a good man. He is a giver. Thanks Paw for all you’ve done and Godspeed in whatever you choose to do! PEACE.......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pawtucket said:

If you have no idea, then why don't you say that first, before suggesting I spend too much money.

paw, I am a relative newcomer and a techie.  In my zeal to be helpful I obviously have only been insulting.  For that I am truly sorry.  I come to you with my hat in my hand and my head held low. 

Rocky is correct - this is something I should have done with a private message.  But since I insulted you publicly I apologize publicly.  I realize, too late, that you have many years of experience with this site.  My good intention was no excuse for being a knucklehead.

I hope you do keep the site up, but if you decide to shut it down please don't let it be because of my stupid comments.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Something Raf posted on another thread implied that membership (visitorship? lollygags?) at the Café is probably below 100.  I mentioned on that thread that if membership in TWI dwindles, it would not be surprising to have it happen here.  Sad, but in the same way that having your kids start their own families is sad.  So, if it really is time to close the Café, so be it.  But if the real reason is financial, THAT would be really sad.

George

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 12:25 AM, pawtucket said:

I had the forums hosted by others for a number of years. 

We were shut down when Twi made complaints. This happened, I believe, twice. 

So the solution was to have my own server. 

And then we wouldn't be shut down. 

I covered the costs out of my own pocket up until a few years back. 

I moved from a physical server to a virtual server a number of years ago to reduce costs. 

Donations are completely voluntary, you are under no obligation to donate. 

I chose the most reliable companies, not the cheapest so there would be the least downtime. 

Companies like SiteGround are great, but they can shut you down. I have to ensure that the site can't get shut down.

I've used PHPBB and I've found that Invision is more robust and have better support when you need it.

So our alternative is oblivion over a cheaper alternative that can be shut down or complained about with donated funds from the about 100 members of the site?

Cool.

The Way and the splinters win.

Game over.

Glad I had a say in it.

And no I really don't care if you take offense.  You didn't care to ask me for alternatives or help first.  Why should I care if you are offended?

If you don't have more money host the damn site on SiteGround, put up a disclaimer that all content is opinions of members and not endorsed by site management and then good luck at Jean Yves minions getting anyone to listen to requests to take it down.   They would have to violate a constitutional right.

And PhPBB vs. Invasion is a software tradeoff worth oblivion?   Come on, man.

Or be a martyr I guess.  It's a free country.   Sorry I'm not more thankful in the face of what I consider stupidity.

On 9/19/2018 at 4:44 PM, pawtucket said:

I don't know why I even started this thread.

The donations made this week will cover the costs for the next two months, then I will likely close down the site. I have too much else going on to deal with this bickering.  

Glad you're covered but make sure the bickering you see isn't due to your stubbornness to not consider a better option.

if anyone has a cheaper, better way to do this, by all means secure a domain name and start it up.

Maybe Paw will sell this domain to you.

I ran, for a very short time, a parallel site. it was a nightmare, with only a tiny fraction of GSC's membership.

But hey all means, if you can do it better, cheaper and are willing to deal with the hassles, go for it!

Hey, Chocky,  your response seems a bit OTT. You've enjoyed posting here for some years. Why notoffer help in some way - financially or as an administrator, or in some other way. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chockfull said:

So our alternative is oblivion over a cheaper alternative that can be shut down or complained about with donated funds from the about 100 members of the site?

Cool.

The Way and the splinters win.

Game over.

Glad I had a say in it.

And no I really don't care if you take offense.  You didn't care to ask me for alternatives or help first.  Why should I care if you are offended?

If you don't have more money host the damn site on SiteGround, put up a disclaimer that all content is opinions of members and not endorsed by site management and then good luck at Jean Yves minions getting anyone to listen to requests to take it down.   They would have to violate a constitutional right.

And PhPBB vs. Invasion is a software tradeoff worth oblivion?   Come on, man.

Or be a martyr I guess.  It's a free country.   Sorry I'm not more thankful in the face of what I consider stupidity.

Glad you had a say in it, too.

Talk, of course, is cheap.

If you're so zealous to stave off the TWI hordes, host your own d--n site.

George

• Modgellan featured and unfeatured this topic

Paw, thanks for all you do and have done. Gsc helped free me from twi, and being free i seldom post anymore. Over the past decade GSC gave me a voice to expose what I witnessed during my years in twi. I can honestly say I kept no secrets and did all i could to expose twi.

So I completely understand you need to do what you need for your own reasons and peace of mind. Whether you continue with GSC or free yourself from the hassle, thank you so very much. Peace!!

• Like 2

I took Pawtucket at his word here when he said he was shutting down. But I should not be the one making public announcements about it.

I will refrain from further comment until he announces what will be happening with this site.

My apologies to all involved.

See you soon.