GreaseSpot Cafe

Parcast episodes 62 and 63 -- podcasts about TWI and VPW

Rocky

After creating a live radio show in 1942 to broadcast his sermons, an out-of-work preacher from Ohio was quickly throw into the spotlight of an international spiritual movement. Through his hypnotic Power for Abundant Living (PFAL) course, Wierwille bought the Way International to a large farm in Ohio during a time of revolution in the 1960s. “The Teacher” appeared to be devoted to God, but actually wanted sex, money, and control. (Ep 62)

A disgruntled pastor of the Evangelical and Reformed Church creates his own religious group in 1942 after claiming he received Biblical secrets dating back from the First Century AD. By 1980, The Way International was one of the largest and wealthiest cults on Earth. Despite it’s tremendous growth, Victor Paul Wierwille’s paranoia and institutionalized methods of control ultimately led to the cult’s demise.

Find these a Parcast.com

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting this, Rocky. I just finished listening to both episodes. I think they did a good job researching and was grateful they cited from Karl Kahler's and Kristen Skedgell's books, and from Undertow. Not that the producers should have, but they had not contacted me prior to the podcast, so I was surprised. 

I hope the show will inform more people still in the dark about TWI, especially those who prefer to listen rather than read stories.

They did refer to The Way's official biography of Wierwille, but gave no title. Does anyone here have a copy of it? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hmm.  End of the second podcast: RFR is rumored to be  [LCM]'s wife's former lover.  Errr - former lover?  Are they not shacked up together any more?  Has one of them "got a life" outside (Donna has gone back to LCM? Hahaha!)

As Ham might say: enquiring minds want to know!

4 hours ago, Twinky said:

Hmm.  End of the second podcast: RFR is rumored to be  [LCM]'s wife's former lover.  Errr - former lover?  Are they not shacked up together any more?  Has one of them "got a life" outside (Donna has gone back to LCM? Hahaha!)

As Ham might say: enquiring minds want to know!

Despite the fact that the podcasters get some details mixed up (or possibly wrong), they seem to have gotten the essence pretty well.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rocky said:

Despite the fact that the podcasters get some details mixed up (or possibly wrong), they seem to have gotten the essence pretty well.

Yes, I thought that, too.  If they'd looked at this site, they'd've found a lot of other material.  And if they'd talked with Ralph D, they'd've found a lot of info, if not "too much information."  But for a couple of hours for a podcast, this was a good exposé.

I wanted their site to have us leave comments, correcting them on WOW, The Word(not The Way) over the World and that Deluise is now President, no longer Rivenbark. They did mention John Juddes. Wish they had visited Greasepot Cafe for more and better information.

7 hours ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

I wanted their site to have us leave comments, correcting them on WOW, The Word(not The Way) over the World and that Deluise is now President, no longer Rivenbark. They did mention John Juddes. Wish they had visited Greasepot Cafe for more and better information.

How do we know they haven't visited GSC?

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 5:11 PM, penworks said:

Thanks for posting this, Rocky. I just finished listening to both episodes. I think they did a good job researching and was grateful they cited from Karl Kahler's and Kristen Skedgell's books, and from Undertow. Not that the producers should have, but they had not contacted me prior to the podcast, so I was surprised. 

I hope the show will inform more people still in the dark about TWI, especially those who prefer to listen rather than read stories.

They did refer to The Way's official biography of Wierwille, but gave no title. Does anyone here have a copy of it? 

I think that must be the book Mrs. Wierwille wrote, with her daughter Karen's help ... I had left TWI before it was published, but I have seen a copy.  Checked Amazon ... it is called VICTOR PAUL WIERWILLE: BORN AGAIN TO SERVE.  Available for purchase if you choose to spend an arm and a leg ...

Edited by DogLover
Found out further details
  • Like 1

Thanks, DogLover. I see that book by Mrs. W. sells for $102.99 on Amazon. Think I'll pass. :-) It's not THAT important to me now ... it was published long after I left (in 1987) and I have enough history of TWI stashed in my own files to fill several more books of my own. But don't think I will write any more books pertaining to TWI. One was enough for me!

Edited by penworks

6 hours ago, DogLover said:

I think that must be the book Mrs. Wierwille wrote, with her daughter Karen's help ... I had left TWI before it was published, but I have seen a copy.  Checked Amazon ... it is called VICTOR PAUL WIERWILLE: BORN AGAIN TO SERVE.  Available for purchase if you choose to spend an arm and a leg ...

We discussed the book somewhat in the thread, "Outreach Beyond vpw's congregation".

21 hours ago, penworks said:

Thanks, DogLover. I see that book by Mrs. W. sells for $102.99 on Amazon. Think I'll pass. :-) It's not THAT important to me now ... it was published long after I left (in 1987) and I have enough history of TWI stashed in my own files to fill several more books of my own. But don't think I will write any more books pertaining to TWI. One was enough for me!

Interestingly I got my copy for $60 back in 2000

On 12/11/2018 at 9:20 PM, Rocky said:

How do we know they haven't visited GSC?

They would have gotten correct information and not gotten some misinformation.

• 1 month later...

For my blog response to this Parcast show, visit my website here.

Edited by penworks