GreaseSpot Cafe

Countdown 2019

Raf

Soooooo..…. what's a-happenin' in 6 hrs time?  At 3pm Miami time?

This'd better be worth the tease, Raf!

I should clarify something.

I said this STARTED as bad news. I cannot overstate that. This started as very, very bad news. Any joy in what "great news" happens today is tempered by the bad news that kicked it off.

That said, we can raise a glass (hopefully) while remembering how much more wonderful it would be if we didn't have to.

If you haven't figured it out by now: 3 p.m.

If you have, shhh. Don't spoil it.

Edited by Raf

And the Pulitzer Prize Gold Medal for Public Service Reporting goes to the staff of the South Florida Sun Sentinel!!!

That's us.

Which includes me.

But US!!!! 

Edited by Raf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The Sun Sentinel, based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., won the public-service medal for its coverage of the February 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and its follow-up reporting about local officials’ actions before and after the killing of 17 students and staff members at the school. The public-service award is considered the most prestigious in the 14 journalism categories.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-washington-post-wins-3-pulitzer-prizes-sun-sentinel-wins-public-service-medal-for-parkland-shooting-coverage/2019/04/15/1478f18e-5fa3-11e9-9ff2-abc984dc9eec_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.798ab522192d

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Raf said:

The Sun Sentinel, based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., won the public-service medal for its coverage of the February 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and its follow-up reporting about local officials’ actions before and after the killing of 17 students and staff members at the school. The public-service award is considered the most prestigious in the 14 journalism categories.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-washington-post-wins-3-pulitzer-prizes-sun-sentinel-wins-public-service-medal-for-parkland-shooting-coverage/2019/04/15/1478f18e-5fa3-11e9-9ff2-abc984dc9eec_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.798ab522192d

CONGRATS Raf!

However, Washington Post is behind a paywall.

• Upvote 1

Congrats, Raf.

That's my paper, and I've been seeing your bylines for years now. Your beat takes you into some nasty arenas, and I enjoy reading about it, and not being in it.

I find the Sun-Sentinel to be an outstanding paper. You guys and gals deserve this, and Wowee Zowee, The Most Pestigious Pulitzer given.

Well done, my man!

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Try this, Rocky

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-ne-pulitzer-prize-sun-sentinel-20190415-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2UbEu5YpAo9EsGLzjLDm8nLfN7fnytX_Jv4hURg9OdzRRM5_oWC4zeOgs

Engine, I think I knew you were local once but I have long forgotten. Did we have lunch at La Bamba?

Anyway, find me. You have my number at work.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Raf said:

Try this, Rocky

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-ne-pulitzer-prize-sun-sentinel-20190415-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2UbEu5YpAo9EsGLzjLDm8nLfN7fnytX_Jv4hURg9OdzRRM5_oWC4zeOgs

Engine, I think I knew you were local once but I have long forgotten. Did we have lunch at La Bamba?

Anyway, find me. You have my number at work.

Pulitzer.org provides links to the body of work that earned the medal.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-ne-viz-school-safety-20181206-story.html

What's being done to stop another school shooting?

Once he decided to shoot up a school, there wasn’t much to stop Nikolas Cruz.

His threats were ignored, the campus was wide open, the school doors were unlocked and students had nowhere to hide.

What has changed?

Though 10 months have passed since the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Broward County students are still exposed to potential danger. At least a quarter of campuses don’t have single-entry points to control intruders. Safe spaces to protect children in classrooms still haven’t been identified. There’s no policy outlining how to respond to an active shooter.

Even seemingly simple things — like making sure each classroom has a place where students can hide from bullets — have not been done. (continued)

Edited by Rocky

1 hour ago, Raf said:

Raf, holy sh--!!!!  Raf, that is wonderful!!!!  Congratulations!!!  Wonderful!!!!  Way to go!!!!

• Like 1