GreaseSpot Cafe

Countdown 2019

Raf

Congratulations, that was worth the wait.  Washington Post was in the same category; your newspaper beat them!  Well done.

Wish I could read the articles, but their website isn't available in Europe.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Raf said:

Engine, I think I knew you were local once but I have long forgotten. Did we have lunch at La Bamba?

Yes, we did. I didn't know if you'd remember.  Coconut Creek on Sample Rd, I believe.

I will say this: I have watched your skills as an Investigative reporter get well honed over the years. And, I've almost emailed you a few times to tell you I liked this article or that article. Well done. Stay on it.

13 minutes ago, engine said:

Yes, we did. I didn't know if you'd remember.  Coconut Creek on Sample Rd, I believe.

I will say this: I have watched your skills as an Investigative reporter get well honed over the years. And, I've almost emailed you a few times to tell you I liked this article or that article. Well done. Stay on it.

Let's head back. I'll let you know next time I am in Deerfield.

5 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

DWBH, you are so right!!  What a well-deserved honor!!

We celebrate, but that celebration is tempered by the knowledge that 17 lost their lives. We did what we do, and we did it well.

After the announcement I called the dad of one of the victims. He congratulated us and told us to celebrate, but also to get right back to work.

It's not over.

#RememberThe17

• Like 1

How much of the journalism on this did you do, Raf?  (You must have done some, you're very proud of it!) 

Regrettably, I can't read your (or anyone else's) stunning prose.  Tell your newspaper to make itself more widely available (at least to those who'd never have an opportunity to see it otherwise).

Parkland consumed our entire metro staff for the better part of a year. I talked to parents, interviewed witnesses, and have attended all but a few court hearings, sitting a few yards away from the young man who committed this monstrous act.

My byline is on one of the 20 articles submitted. The fingerprints of every staffer can be found on every article. If ever there was a team prize, this was it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 4/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, Raf said:

The Sun Sentinel, based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., won the public-service medal for its coverage of the February 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and its follow-up reporting about local officials’ actions before and after the killing of 17 students and staff members at the school. The public-service award is considered the most prestigious in the 14 journalism categories.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-washington-post-wins-3-pulitzer-prizes-sun-sentinel-wins-public-service-medal-for-parkland-shooting-coverage/2019/04/15/1478f18e-5fa3-11e9-9ff2-abc984dc9eec_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.798ab522192d

*checks*  The relevant part of the page was quoted above.  For the curious, the Pulitzer's page had more information....

https://www.pulitzer.org/winners/south-florida-sun-sentinel

Or, if that link expires, use this one to reach that page:

https://www.pulitzer.org/prize-winners-by-year/2019

In other news, obviously, very well done for all the staff of the Sun-Sentinel!   You excelled and out-performed many worthy competitors.

15 hours ago, Raf said:

Parkland consumed our entire metro staff for the better part of a year. I talked to parents, interviewed witnesses, and have attended all but a few court hearings, sitting a few yards away from the young man who committed this monstrous act.

My byline is on one of the 20 articles submitted. The fingerprints of every staffer can be found on every article. If ever there was a team prize, this was it.

You cannot catch a break!  Every time a major crime goes to trial, you're stuck in court forced to try for a perfect attendance record.  

On 4/15/2019 at 1:44 PM, Rocky said:

Wordwolf, perhaps you didn't see the links I posted yesterday Monday from Pulitzer.org.

Edited by Rocky

Ok. Now that THAT's settled.

Thanks for playing along, everyone.

I started the first countdown thread in 2005, and we lost. I forget what worthy story won, but we were a finalist for our coverage of the busy 2004 hurricane season. We were finalists again the following year, for the busy 2005 hurricane season, but we had no expectation of winning that one (once again Florida was hit by four hurricanes, but one of them was named Katrina, which did a little bit more damage elsewhere -- New Orleans won that year).

Since then our paper won its first Pulitzer in 2013 for an entry written by a few specific people.

This one was different in that it was a massive undertaking by the entire staff. It just means more to us as a group.

Anyway, enough about it. Just, thank you for playing along with the countdown. Maybe we get to do it again next year, for a less tragic reason.

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Raf said:

I started the first countdown thread in 2005, and we lost. I forget what worthy story won, but we were a finalist for our coverage of the busy 2004 hurricane season. We were finalists again the following year, for the busy 2005 hurricane season, but we had no expectation of winning that one (once again Florida was hit by four hurricanes, but one of them was named Katrina, which did a little bit more damage elsewhere -- New Orleans won that year).

Since then our paper won its first Pulitzer in 2013 for an entry written by a few specific people.

This one was different in that it was a massive undertaking by the entire staff. It just means more to us as a group.

Anyway, enough about it. Just, thank you for playing along with the countdown. Maybe we get to do it again next year, for a less tragic reason.

Cheers. 

yes, maybe the Presidential election !

3 hours ago, Raf said:

Cheers.

Raf, again congratulations on winning a PP!!  What an honor!!