GreaseSpot Cafe

I'm looking for a recipe

I wonder if anyone here can help me out.  I couldn't find a recipe that I used to have that I originally discovered in Vegetarian Times circa. mid 1980's.  I'm not a vegetarian but I did like  love the recipe for Everything Vegetable Soup.  I've been craving it now for awhile, and since I used to make it for fellowships I was hoping that someone may remember it.  A lot folks, shared recipes for good quality food from time to time, so I thought I'd give this forum a shot.  

Anyway, I remember some of the ingredients, but not all.  It had many ingredients and vegetables,  three types of beans (Great Northern, Garbanzo,  maybe Pinto which were left to soak over night), and brown rice, seasonings.   The beans simmers for 2 hrs. then the rice for an addition hour and then all the other things, three sticks of celery, three carrots, canned stewed tomatoes, potatoes all cooked for one more hour. 

It didn't taste anything like a soup would.  It was more stew like, but it was simply delicious.  I've contacted Veg. Times and their archives don't go back that far.   If anyone can help me find this recipe for Everything Vegetable Soup I would appreciate it, and so will you.

Edited by Human without the bean
minor mistake

I'm hoping someone can help you with that specific recipe.

Just in case they can't, I checked some of the websites with recipes. I didn't find that one, but a few had some good vegetable soup recipes you might want to look over.  Something might be close to what you want.    To be specific,  www.cooks.com   and www.allrecipes.com  had some options.  (The other sites I checked did not.)

38 minutes ago, waysider said:

It needs some salt pork.

I was actually going to throw some chicken breasts into it because I thought that that would just about blow it over the top..  It is a "one of a kind" recipe in itself.  I was re hashing over what I recall was in the recipe and I remembered some other things to.  The beans (might have been just one bean because it required extra time to cook) sat in a crock pot soaking overnight and together with some spices added the next day , garlic salt, onion powder, and cumin they cook in vegetable juice, tomato juice, and water.  The thing that stands out to me is that it had a theme of three.  Three hours of cooking, in three stages, and three of each, carrots, potatoes, 3 celery stocks, 3 cups of vegetable juice.  When it was finished it was thick and stew like and the soup was out of this world.

• 2 months later...