Jump to content
GreaseSpot Cafe
skyrider

Admission into Wierwille's Elite Corps Program: Loyalty

Recommended Posts

Admission into Wierwille's Elite Corps Program:  Loyalty

When wierwille set up his "spiritual-marine" corps training program......it was based on one thing, loyalty.  The corps candidate was required to take all of the prerequisite classes, serve faithfully for the apprentice year, get sponsors and money together and then........admittance was granted into the corps program.

  • The corps program was NOT about an education or curriculum with test scores or grades.
  • In fact, some corps skipped months of classes by following trustees' requests concerning the building needs at other campuses.
  • The corps program was NOT an extensive search of biblical truths to be fully-equipped to teach and minister to others.
  • Quite the contrary, it was designed to indoctrinate the youth into a lifetime of wierwille-adulation and twi-servitude.

No grades.  Missed classes.  NO PROBLEM.

Loyalty was the highest premium...........not merit.

Big donations, doctors' kids and "celebrity-status" help to fast-track corps admissions, too.

Even when corps were sent out Light-Bearers........we were told that we NEEDED to get a pfal class together or else.  Or else what ??  That we'd be kicked out of the corps program?  Yeah.....that is what was implied and what a lot of us thought.  But when we arrived back on campus without achieving that stated objective......a major butt-chewing and shaming ensued to the majority of us who didn't sign up 7 people.  But I don't remember anyone who was thrown out for failing this "test."

With one's admission into wierwille's "army of corps-followers".........he got

  1. .....hundreds of thousands of hours of free labor. 
  2. .....decades and, in some cases, a lifetime of twi-servitude
  3. .....five corps campuses that were indoctrinating youth
  4. .....tens of millions of dollars funneled into twi's coffers
  5. .....a secret world of guarding his sexual predation

What did the corps get for this loyalty and admission into wierwille's corps program?  To the misguided and/or clean of heart, they discovered the deception and dropped allegiance to this cult and built a new life.  For the opportunists, liars and frauds it provided years, even decades of..........1)  social signaling, 2) status gaming, 3) spiritual elitism, and 4) measured power and control over others. 

For those who continue in this spiritual-status game of twi and splinter groups..........is the self-serving appropriation of a bankrupt soul.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, skyrider said:

The corps program was NOT about an education or curriculum with test scores or grades.

This was one of my biggest disappointments with the FellowLaborers program, as well. It was pitched as a way to gain in-depth training and insight. Turns out it was just a stinking commune with a Biblical facade.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elite Corps program?  Nothing elite about it.  You got the money together, you did a few precursor classes (unexamined, no grades) and as long as you weren't a complete jerk, you got in.

5 hours ago, skyrider said:

Even when corps were sent out Light-Bearers........we were told that we NEEDED to get a pfal class together or else.  Or else what ??  That we'd be kicked out of the corps program?  Yeah.....that is what was implied and what a lot of us thought.  But when we arrived back on campus without achieving that stated objective......a major butt-chewing and shaming ensued to the majority of us who didn't sign up 7 people.  But I don't remember anyone who was thrown out for failing this "test."

My Corps went out one year and no team of all of us got a class together.  We came back to a major inquisition about what went wrong and where we had spiritually missed it, and threats to kick us all out.  Then a month or so later we were sent out again with strict instructions to get a class together.  That might have had an "or else" attached; can't remember, too long ago.  Anyway, we all achieved a class.

I find myself wondering what happened to those who did take Lightbearers classes.  We were all in towns where there were believers (we stayed with them!) but as to how many continued after the class... and whether they stuck around for a few months afterwards... or even years afterwards...

Lightbearers was quite fun, though.  A relief from the goldfish bowl existence of living at HQ where you could get reamed for the slightest infraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Elite Corps program?  Nothing elite about it.  You got the money together, you did a few precursor classes (unexamined, no grades) and as long as you weren't a complete jerk, you got in.

My Corps went out one year and no team of all of us got a class together.  We came back to a major inquisition about what went wrong and where we had spiritually missed it, and threats to kick us all out.  Then a month or so later we were sent out again with strict instructions to get a class together.  That might have had an "or else" attached; can't remember, too long ago.  Anyway, we all achieved a class.

I find myself wondering what happened to those who did take Lightbearers classes.  We were all in towns where there were believers (we stayed with them!) but as to how many continued after the class... and whether they stuck around for a few months afterwards... or even years afterwards...

Lightbearers was quite fun, though.  A relief from the goldfish bowl existence of living at HQ where you could get reamed for the slightest infraction.

Yes there was. The corpse members got to wear the elite status nametags. IOW, "Look at ME! I'm elite!!"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Yes there was. The corpse members got to wear the elite status nametags. IOW, "Look at ME! I'm elite!!"

Yes..........and corps became leaders (cough, cough) over branches, areas, limbs, regions and departments at hq.   All of the Milf0rd Bowens, J. Fred Wils0ns, and long-standing staffers at hq were phased out and replaced with corps grads. That's why even people that didn't want to go into the corps......went into the corps.  It was status gaming of the system that wierwille set in motion.

It was a two-tiered system.........if you weren't CORPS, you weren't in the top tier.  Wierwille stated it plainly in his corps meetings for all to hear.  Corps were instructed to MARRY corps......else, they were NOT equally-yoked.  Got it?

The corps nametag was "membership" to the only club that mattered in the cult.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No guarantee that you finished knowing anything, either.  When I first started attending locally, a corpse guy was sent to run the Branch for his interim year.  He never fit in, and people just sorta nodded when he said stuff, then went off and did things the way we were supposed to. (He was more decorative than actually LEADING anything.)   We were glad when his year was up and he went back to wherever.    His replacement was better, but he could hardly have been worse.  :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We saw the "or else" in action during my time in the corpse.  People kicked out for poor performance during LEAD and all types of other craziness.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rocky said:

Yes there was. The corpse members got to wear the elite status nametags. IOW, "Look at ME! I'm elite!!"

Oh, well, yes, but we are talking of different things.  I'm saying, selection wasn't elite.  You are saying, after graduation one became part of an elite.  Both are true.

And of course, there was the "elite elite" - the ones who had contacts/money/other stuff that They were interested in.  The ones who were treated with kid gloves and never seemed to get into trouble.  And these people were apparent, even in the in-rez training.  Nicer jobs.  Not in trouble.  Were twig leaders.  And often didn't have much empathy for everyone else there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Twinky said:

Oh, well, yes, but we are talking of different things.  I'm saying, selection wasn't elite.  You are saying, after graduation one became part of an elite.  Both are true.

And of course, there was the "elite elite" - the ones who had contacts/money/other stuff that They were interested in.  The ones who were treated with kid gloves and never seemed to get into trouble.  And these people were apparent, even in the in-rez training.  Nicer jobs.  Not in trouble.  Were twig leaders.  And often didn't have much empathy for everyone else there.

I get your point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Twinky said:

Oh, well, yes, but we are talking of different things. 

.......

And, so were they...........on every level imaginable.

  • Was the Emporia Campus a place of higher learning.......or just an indoctrination camp?
  • Why dangle an Associates of Theology Degree......when it was a worthless piece of paper in academic circles?
  • Dozens in the 7th corps (my elder corps) were sent to Gunnison and/or Tinnie, NM for plumbing, carpentry, etc.
  • And, when they missed whole blocks of classes.......it didn't matter.  Only their loyalty to Trustees' requests mattered.
  • No grades, no tests......why take notes?  Maybe just feign attention to keep up with appearances for future assignments.
  • Why did wierwille think that Emporia Campus needed a Dean?.......   Maybe that's why Dean Don felt betrayed?

The whole gambit wreaked of *playing the system to one's advantage.* 

Seemingly, the concept was......if you wanted to move up the ladder, you've got to go corps.  Even those who'd been leaders on the field for years, had to go thru the corps training to establish street cred [cult cred].......ie Chris Geer [7th corps], John Lynn [9th corps].  Heck, even Don and Howard were publically presented with Honorary Corps Diplomas...... why?  LOL

With corps in-residency, there was no basis for academic achievement.........no questioning, no open discussions, no tests, no voicing dissent was allowed.  Even those adept in research skills and languages were confined to the parameters of wierwille's "research." 

The whole deception was, and still is, that the corps program involved education......whereas indoctrination was its core.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, skyrider said:

Why dangle an Associates of Theology Degree......when it was a worthless piece of paper in academic circles?

It was fool's gold. 

I'm from a blue collar family. I wasn't sure what genuine gold was supposed to look like. In addition, it placated a lot of concerned, skeptical parents. Now, there are those who may say it was my fault because I'm the one who made the choice. They are right, to a degree. But, If someone sells you fool's gold under the premise that it's genuine, knowing that it's fake, they must share in the culpability, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skyrider said:

And, so were they...........on every level imaginable.

  • Was the Emporia Campus a place of higher learning.......or just an indoctrination camp?
  • Why dangle an Associates of Theology Degree......when it was a worthless piece of paper in academic circles?
  • Dozens in the 7th corps (my elder corps) were sent to Gunnison and/or Tinnie, NM for plumbing, carpentry, etc.
  • And, when they missed whole blocks of classes.......it didn't matter.  Only their loyalty to Trustees' requests mattered.
  • No grades, no tests......why take notes?  Maybe just feign attention to keep up with appearances for future assignments.
  • Why did wierwille think that Emporia Campus needed a Dean?.......   Maybe that's why Dean Don felt betrayed?

The whole gambit wreaked of *playing the system to one's advantage.* 

Seemingly, the concept was......if you wanted to move up the ladder, you've got to go corps.  Even those who'd been leaders on the field for years, had to go thru the corps training to establish street cred [cult cred].......ie Chris Geer [7th corps], John Lynn [9th corps].  Heck, even Don and Howard were publically presented with Honorary Corps Diplomas...... why?  LOL

With corps in-residency, there was no basis for academic achievement.........no questioning, no open discussions, no tests, no voicing dissent was allowed.  Even those adept in research skills and languages were confined to the parameters of wierwille's "research." 

The whole deception was, and still is, that the corps program involved education......whereas indoctrination was its core.

Sky, wow!!  From reading your posts, it seems to me, the corps program might have been a scam.  I thought it was a big money maker for TWI; but perhaps others feel differently. Personally, Sky I am ever so thankful that I never entered the program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Sky, wow!!  From reading your posts, it seems to me, the corps program might have been a scam.  I thought it was a big money maker for TWI; but perhaps others feel differently. Personally, Sky I am ever so thankful that I never entered the program.

The big money was from thousands upon thousands faithfully tithing/abs [15%] to twi of their hard-earned money.  So yeah, when these "trained" followers went forth to run classes, get others involved, more tithing.....it was a multiplier of coercion and deception for sure. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skyrider said:

And, so were they...........on every level imaginable.

  • Was the Emporia Campus a place of higher learning.......or just an indoctrination camp?
  • Why dangle an Associates of Theology Degree......when it was a worthless piece of paper in academic circles?
  • Dozens in the 7th corps (my elder corps) were sent to Gunnison and/or Tinnie, NM for plumbing, carpentry, etc.
  • And, when they missed whole blocks of classes.......it didn't matter.  Only their loyalty to Trustees' requests mattered.

In October/November 1978.........was when Camp Gunnison and L.E.A.D. were going thru major construction phases.  I was in my first few months of in-residence and I couldn't help but see these guys......electricians, plumbers, carpenters, roofers and flooring workers being sent out on working assignments.  Announcements of their being shipped out were made at lunch or supper time.....and off they went.

For me, having two years of college under my belt before I dropped out to go WOW/Corps........I knew full-well the rigors of classes, studying and cramming for tests, grade point average (gpa) and working toward a Business Administration degree.  I'm not quite sure what I expected to find when going to The Way College of Emporia Kansas........but THIS was certainly not it!  The academic "curriculum" at Emporia was an absolute joke.  Elder corps were faculty teachers in most cases......and work assignments were PRIORITY over the classes where trustees gave consent.

And, when wierwille came to Emporia......every aspect on campus changed to accommodate the mogfot.  To spiff up the place, 12 people with push brooms cleaned the circle drive before his arrival.  Good Grief.....anybody ever hear of a leaf blower?  What an absolute waste and exploitation of manpower.

When martindale boasted about meticulous lawn mowing.........I couldn't help but think of growing up on a wheat farm and driving tractors at age ten, while the corps director lectured us on straight lines and attention to detail.

This work/study corps program.........was a dismal failure on all fronts.  I nearly left before Christmas 1978 several times.  I had a car parked in the back lot and about $6,000 in my bank account at the time.  What a different life I would have seen........had I left when I saw all of those red flags.

Sigh.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skyrider said:

And, so were they...........on every level imaginable.

  • Was the Emporia Campus a place of higher learning.......or just an indoctrination camp?
  • Why dangle an Associates of Theology Degree......when it was a worthless piece of paper in academic circles?
  • Dozens in the 7th corps (my elder corps) were sent to Gunnison and/or Tinnie, NM for plumbing, carpentry, etc.
  • And, when they missed whole blocks of classes.......it didn't matter.  Only their loyalty to Trustees' requests mattered.
  • No grades, no tests......why take notes?  Maybe just feign attention to keep up with appearances for future assignments.
  • Why did wierwille think that Emporia Campus needed a Dean?.......   Maybe that's why Dean Don felt betrayed?

The whole gambit wreaked of *playing the system to one's advantage.* 

Seemingly, the concept was......if you wanted to move up the ladder, you've got to go corps.  Even those who'd been leaders on the field for years, had to go thru the corps training to establish street cred [cult cred].......ie Chris Geer [7th corps], John Lynn [9th corps].  Heck, even Don and Howard were publically presented with Honorary Corps Diplomas...... why?  LOL

With corps in-residency, there was no basis for academic achievement.........no questioning, no open discussions, no tests, no voicing dissent was allowed.  Even those adept in research skills and languages were confined to the parameters of wierwille's "research." 

The whole deception was, and still is, that the corps program involved education......whereas indoctrination was its core.

And more recently, when there were no 1st Corps around anymore, the Powers That Be announced that the old time hangers-on that weren't Corps were now the 1st Corps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Sky, wow!!  From reading your posts, it seems to me, the corps program might have been a scam.  I thought it was a big money maker for TWI; but perhaps others feel differently. Personally, Sky I am ever so thankful that I never entered the program.

The Corps program ran at a profit, since more tuition was paid than expenses were incurred, per student.

The Corps program was ESPECIALLY profitable because the students who paid their tuition were required to perform manual labor, for which they were paid $0 per hour salary.  They not only worked for free, they paid to be there.   So, the more workers, the more money twi made.  No wonder there were corps later who had a lot of "make-work" like cleaning things that were already clean when they arrived.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skyrider said:

The big money was from thousands upon thousands faithfully tithing/abs [15%] to twi of their hard-earned money.  So yeah, when these "trained" followers went forth to run classes, get others involved, more tithing.....it was a multiplier of coercion and deception for sure. 

 

Yes. The Corps was a financial gold-mine.   The students paid money to be there, so just having them there, and spending so little on them, meant the program worked at a profit.  Then they worked manual labor for free, so twi didn't have to pay laborers for their free work, which is quite profitable. Any slave-owner could tell you that paying your workers zero is very profitable for you the slave-owner.     Then, when they finished, they were expected to pay you money regularly- tithes, "abundant sharings",  and, if you could convince them, "plurality giving", -handing over all money not directly earmarked for an expense like food, rent or clothes.       On top of that, they were trained as a SALES FORCE- the only professional training they had was NOT in counseling or anything like that, it was plagiarized Dale Carnegie SALES courses.    So, they were told to run classes- which ran at a profit for twi-  and get more people- who were expected to tithe/ ABS.

At every level, twi was organized to run with the least possible expenditures, with locals carrying all expenses, and all activities designed to run at a net financial profit for twi.  It's blatantly UNgodly, but profitable if you care about money and NOT about God.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skyrider said:

In October/November 1978.........was when Camp Gunnison and L.E.A.D. were going thru major construction phases.  I was in my first few months of in-residence and I couldn't help but see these guys......electricians, plumbers, carpenters, roofers and flooring workers being sent out on working assignments.  Announcements of their being shipped out were made at lunch or supper time.....and off they went.

For me, having two years of college under my belt before I dropped out to go WOW/Corps........I knew full-well the rigors of classes, studying and cramming for tests, grade point average (gpa) and working toward a Business Administration degree.  I'm not quite sure what I expected to find when going to The Way College of Emporia Kansas........but THIS was certainly not it!  The academic "curriculum" at Emporia was an absolute joke.  Elder corps were faculty teachers in most cases......and work assignments were PRIORITY over the classes where trustees gave consent.

And, when wierwille came to Emporia......every aspect on campus changed to accommodate the mogfot.  To spiff up the place, 12 people with push brooms cleaned the circle drive before his arrival.  Good Grief.....anybody ever hear of a leaf blower?  What an absolute waste and exploitation of manpower.

When martindale boasted about meticulous lawn mowing.........I couldn't help but think of growing up on a wheat farm and driving tractors at age ten, while the corps director lectured us on straight lines and attention to detail.

This work/study corps program.........was a dismal failure on all fronts.  I nearly left before Christmas 1978 several times.  I had a car parked in the back lot and about $6,000 in my bank account at the time.  What a different life I would have seen........had I left when I saw all of those red flags.

Sigh.

 

Leaf blowers cost money!    You students were expendable. 

You can tell how meaningless the classes were based on how casually twi arranged for people to skip them.   It was more important to pull the students- who paid tuition- and get them to do manual labor-  for which they were unpaid.   I just can't get over how shameless that was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skyrider said:

The big money was from thousands upon thousands faithfully tithing/abs [15%] to twi of their hard-earned money.  So yeah, when these "trained" followers went forth to run classes, get others involved, more tithing.....it was a multiplier of coercion and deception for sure. 

This was the key to it all, right here. Sure, they made money on classes, advances, WC labor etc. There was usually a minimal operational cost involved. But, this was absolutely 100% free money. And, it was consistently flowing in, month after month and year after year. We paid for the "privilege" of being an uncompensated sales force. No salary, no commissions, no bonuses. Just a sharp smack of the ruler to the back of the hand if you failed to meet quota. Some weren't even that lucky. That's a whole other subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waysider said:

This was the key to it all, right here. Sure, they made money on classes, advances, WC labor etc.

........

How twi made a bundle of money........let us count the ways:

  1. PFAL class payment upfront......sometimes waited months for class to run.
  2. Encouraged to tithe [10%].  ABS [15%] was better.  Plurality giving [40% or more] was best --- all giving beyond basic needs.
  3. Subscription to The Way Magazine [$12 - $15].
  4. SNS tape subscription.  VHS tapes/DVDs -- later.
  5. Class Series fees ...... DTA, RM, W&U, CFS, Way Tree
  6. Intermediate Class  -- $75 ?
  7. Advanced Class --- $450
  8. Rock of Ages entrance fee.......and money spend on food (cooked/served by mostly corps workers)
  9. End of ROA  -- gift donation on the final night
  10. Bookstore Sales
  11. Snack Shop and hamburger sales after Sunday teachings
  12. Word in Business and Profession Conferences
  13. LEAD adventure -- made available to advanced class grads
  14. Rodeo School at Camp Gunnison---- made available for a short time
  15. Corps Program and Sponsor Money -- $3,200 per year (single person)
  16. Corps Program.......tons and tons of free labor (especially from skilled construction workers)
  17. Big Donations [$1,000] for WOW Auditorium
  18. Gifts to Wierwille......Twig Hopper, private gifts, etc
  19. Gifts to Martindale....hundreds of gifts poured in after WAP class series
  20. Shopping sprees for Emogene, Dotsie, Wanda, Rosalie, Donna, etc.   $500 a pop
  21. Bo and Stanley Reahard built house in Way Woods.....when ousted, twi confiscated house
  22. John Lynn Sr. donated Limb Home in Indianapolis to twi in 1975 (?).......sold in 1989 for $790,000 (??)
  23. Inheritance of land and money......donated to twi
  24. After fog years.......martindale mandated that all AC students re-take new Advanced Class.
  25. Rise and Expansion Classes offered in 1994.......Limb coordinators taught classes on the field.
  26. 1996.....Way of Abundance and Power [WAP] foundational class offered upgraded class
  27. 1997.....[WAP] Intermediate Class offered upgrade
  28. 1998.....[WAP] Advanced Class offered upgrade
  29. 1995...1996...1997...1998...1999...2000...2001 Advanced Class Special Conferences in Dallas
  30. 2003/2004.....New Foundational Class taught by the 3 amigos.....Longley, Chavoiste, and Rupp

Others can probably add much more to this list......but this is a good start.

And, lest we forget.......twi is a non-profit organization.  Why are they hoarding ALL THIS MONEY???

Where is the charitable giving to help those in need, impoverished and burdened?

 

.

Edited by skyrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WordWolf said:

The Corps program ran at a profit, since more tuition was paid than expenses were incurred, per student.

The Corps program was ESPECIALLY profitable because the students who paid their tuition were required to perform manual labor, for which they were paid $0 per hour salary.  They not only worked for free, they paid to be there.   So, the more workers, the more money twi made.  No wonder there were corps later who had a lot of "make-work" like cleaning things that were already clean when they arrived.

WW, gee I thought Lincoln had abolished slavery.  From what I have read here at the he GSC, people in the Corps were treated like dirt, with a few exceptions.  I know I have posted this before, but I think I was treated better in Boot Camp, than many people in the Corps.  At least in Boot Camp, you have a few rights; da-n few, but a few. And yet, I felt an enormous pressure was placed on people to go Corps.  Now I know why; because it was a BIG money-maker for TWI.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, penguin2 said:

We saw the "or else" in action during my time in the corpse.  People kicked out for poor performance during LEAD and all types of other craziness.  

Pen, perhaps that was a blessing in hindsight!:biglaugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Twinky said:

Oh, well, yes, but we are talking of different things.  I'm saying, selection wasn't elite.  You are saying, after graduation one became part of an elite.  Both are true.

And of course, there was the "elite elite" - the ones who had contacts/money/other stuff that They were interested in.  The ones who were treated with kid gloves and never seemed to get into trouble.  And these people were apparent, even in the in-rez training.  Nicer jobs.  Not in trouble.  Were twig leaders.  And often didn't have much empathy for everyone else there.

Twinky, personally I think having empathy is essential for living a Godly life.  I know, boy do I know, I make a lot of mistakes.  Yet God forgives me; thus I can forgive others. I can't imagine trying to live a Godly life without practicing empathy for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skyrider said:

In October/November 1978.........was when Camp Gunnison and L.E.A.D. were going thru major construction phases.  I was in my first few months of in-residence and I couldn't help but see these guys......electricians, plumbers, carpenters, roofers and flooring workers being sent out on working assignments.  Announcements of their being shipped out were made at lunch or supper time.....and off they went.

For me, having two years of college under my belt before I dropped out to go WOW/Corps........I knew full-well the rigors of classes, studying and cramming for tests, grade point average (gpa) and working toward a Business Administration degree.  I'm not quite sure what I expected to find when going to The Way College of Emporia Kansas........but THIS was certainly not it!  The academic "curriculum" at Emporia was an absolute joke.  Elder corps were faculty teachers in most cases......and work assignments were PRIORITY over the classes where trustees gave consent.

And, when wierwille came to Emporia......every aspect on campus changed to accommodate the mogfot.  To spiff up the place, 12 people with push brooms cleaned the circle drive before his arrival.  Good Grief.....anybody ever hear of a leaf blower?  What an absolute waste and exploitation of manpower.

When martindale boasted about meticulous lawn mowing.........I couldn't help but think of growing up on a wheat farm and driving tractors at age ten, while the corps director lectured us on straight lines and attention to detail.

This work/study corps program.........was a dismal failure on all fronts.  I nearly left before Christmas 1978 several times.  I had a car parked in the back lot and about $6,000 in my bank account at the time.  What a different life I would have seen........had I left when I saw all of those red flags.

Sigh.

 

Sky, I remember November, and December of 1978; I was a Wow stuggling to support myself.  I also saw a lot of Red Flags in TWI, especially on the field.  However, as much as I hated my WOW year, I am so glad I stuck it out.  Years later when I joined the Navy, I knew I could endure a lot of Bullsh--, because I had as a WOW.  My WOW year was horrible, but it did prepare me for the Bullsh-- I had to deal with in the Navy.  God does work miracles when we allow him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Leaf blowers cost money!    You students were expendable. 

You can tell how meaningless the classes were based on how casually twi arranged for people to skip them.   It was more important to pull the students- who paid tuition- and get them to do manual labor-  for which they were unpaid.   I just can't get over how shameless that was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×