GreaseSpot Cafe

The Manipulation of Language

Raf

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:15 AM, Lifted Up said:

What did "loosening up" mean?

It's special TWI language (as sought by the topic of this thread) meaning, "unzip your pants and screw every female in sight." 

From the English, "loosen up" your moral values.  From the Greek, "luo," to act like an out-of-control dog.  :evildenk:

• Like 1

Here's one a friend mentioned last night... Martin Lucifer King Jr.

How terribly manipulative was that? Build up walls to keep cult members from honoring or even recognizing the good in and of one of the most significant historical figures of our (well, for Boomers anyway) lifetime.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Here's one a friend mentioned last night... Martin Lucifer King Jr.

How terribly manipulative was that? Build up walls to keep cult members from honoring or even recognizing the good in and of one of the most significant historical figures of our (well, for Boomers anyway) lifetime.

Yeah, see a lot of that, too. "It's easier to tear something down than it is to build something" is a saying that was popular in the Way, used to defend itself against the criticism of others. Yet we've all seen how easily Way mid level managers and their organizational progeny spew harsh criticism, denigration, scathing character assassination and outright eternal damnation on others they even have a "suspicion" of differing with. 

How much harder would it be to find the good, the truth, the profit, the "Word", in something else? VPW did it at time,s, especially when it served his purposes, like how he held up the Mormons and their practice of tithing as an example. 

There's a saying that was written into the 1999 movie "Ghost Dog, the Way of the Samurai" that goes:

"It is bad when one thing becomes two. One should not look for anything else in the Way of the Samurai. It is the same for anything that is called a Way. If one understands things in this manner, he should be able to hear about all ways and be more and more in accord with his own."

Today the classic bobble-head-for-jesus is Marion Gordon Robertson, AKA "Pat Robertson". He judges the entire world by the one thing that he thinks it lacks. In the words of Dawes songwriter Taylor Goldsmith in his song "When My Time Comes" ... 

"you can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
You can stare into the abyss but it's staring right back....
"

In his case I think it likes what it sees. 

On 6/30/2019 at 1:15 AM, Lifted Up said:

What did "loosening up" mean?

When vpw told lcm that he (lcm)  wouldn't be able to minister to God's people without "loosening up" sexually, he was recommending that lcm practice sex outside of marriage, and that God was not only OK with it, but that God Almighty was RECOMMENDING sex outside of marriage,  at least for leaders.  

Regarding VPW in his mind able to have sex with all women that he liked, yet common people were looked at critically regarding relationships between men and women. In the early 1980s, I saw the problem with people high up in leadership being able to have special authority instead of being service oriented to humanity. Jesus Christ was and is the chief example of being service oriented to humanity. Because of this in 1983 or 1984, when I finally met VPW at a hotel that was part of an entertainment facility, I walked up to him and I said, "You look familiar, but I can't remember your name, but it sounds something like Wear Something". Perhaps God inspired me to tell him to "wear something", especially when he was with women that he was attracted to other than his wife. He then said “werewolf” which has the same pronunciation as "wear wolf". Since VPW was with his best friend at the time, we all laughed. I then told him, "Sorry, but I will not call you werewolf". We then laughed again. 

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

In addition to my previous post here regarding the subject of the "manipulation of language". Perhaps I was doing this by pronouncing VPW's name as "Wear Something". And VPW was doing this by pronouncing his name as "Werewolf". In addition, I sometimes pronounce my last name as "Spaghetti" instead of "Sanguinetti". Perhaps I also sometimes do the "manipulation of language". However, at least one of my goals and perhaps my primary goal is to get people to laugh or giggle. :biglaugh:

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

On 7/2/2019 at 1:15 AM, WordWolf said:

When vpw told lcm that he (lcm)  wouldn't be able to minister to God's people without "loosening up" sexually, he was recommending that lcm practice sex outside of marriage, and that God was not only OK with it, but that God Almighty was RECOMMENDING sex outside of marriage,  at least for leaders.  

Thank you. I remember hearing this talked about on GS years ago but I was still waybrained at that time and had not yet recalled my own loosening up, not by my choice. It explained why some Way women went along with VPW's sexual "doctrine" and were glad to serve the "man of God", or help loosen up other leaders, even low level ones like me. Charlene Edge in "Undertow" writes of how she got testimony of how some women went along even as others wee being badly hurt.                                                                                                

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 9:13 AM, Lifted Up said:

Thank you. I remember hearing this talked about on GS years ago but I was still waybrained at that time and had not yet recalled my own loosening up, not by my choice. It explained why some Way women went along with VPW's sexual "doctrine" and were glad to serve the "man of God", or help loosen up other leaders, even low level ones like me. Charlene Edge in "Undertow" writes of how she got testimony of how some women went along even as others wee being badly hurt.                                                                                                

Hi, this is Charlene Edge who wrote Undertow. Yes, it is true that I included some information on this topic in my book. For a first-hand account from one of VPW's "girls," I always refer people to Kristen Skedgell's memoir, Losing The Way. Also, other women spoke out in another book, by Karl Kahler, called The Cult that Snapped: A Journey Inside The Way International.

Edited by penworks
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 5:34 PM, penworks said:

Hi, this is Charlene Edge who wrote Undertow. Yes, it is true that I included some information on this topic in my book. For a first-hand account from one of VPW's "girls," I always refer people to Kristen Skedgell's memoir, Losing The Way. Also, other women spoke out in another book, by Karl Kahler, called The Cult that Snapped: A Journey Inside The Way International.

Actually, yes, I knew you are the one. And I might have mentioned to you once upon a time that "Losing the Way" is what really opened the door for this then waybrained male to begin believing all the talk about rape and sexual assault I was hearing on these forums, which in turn slowly led me to recalling my own sexual assault all those years ago. And recall it in detail to boot. But it was your relating in "Undertow" of the testimony you got  about how some women were happy to go along that struck home. I had been reading the "talk" on Greasespot about VPW telling LCM he should "loosen up" sexually, so when in 2017 I finally fully recalled my own assault, the term hit me in the face. The two women who assaulted me had obviously assumed it was just a game; corps men couldn;t be hurt by sexual stuff now, could they? In that spirit they told my corps "brothers" about the "event", including a couple of interesting details about what they did and, in one case, what one of them enjoyed. I, having fled and froze in my upper bunk after lights out, heard the men talking about it, not realizing in the dark that I was there. They specifically said that they thought it was good for me to be "Loosened up", specifically using that term.