GreaseSpot Cafe

Thanks to “Rev” Brian Bliss, 4th corpse, I was reminded that today [May 20] is the anniversary of wierwille’s death. Glad there are Corpse Aryan perverts like Brian still carrying on the legacy of the religious bigot, racist, Aryan supremacist, alcoholic, malignant, paranoid narcissist and serial sexual batterer, dictor paul wierwille! Join the Christian Service and Leadership Academy today!! ROTFLMFAO!

https://www.facebook.com/brian.bliss.319

29 years ago today our father in The Word fell asleep. It is still the greatest secret in the world today...and Christ is coming back. What a day that will be! Until then.....

Edited by DontWorryBeHappy

It is only a secret because most people don't care about VPW

Sadly, the link does not work. "Page not found."     There may be a typo in it, or it may have been deleted.

I can get to Brian Bliss's FB page, but since I'm not friends with him, I can't see any post about Wierwille's passing.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

I can get to Brian Bliss's FB page, but since I'm not friends with him, I can't see any post about Wierwille's passing.

Nevermind. I see the post now. It's from 2014. It's posted publicly but I didn't bother to look at 2014 posts.

I’m not friends with him either. I stumbled across his page as I was surfing my own page, and his account pic came up in one of those “people you may know” friend suggestion things they throw at you. I tapped it, and got what I posted. I was able to peruse his entire friend’s lust of a thousand some odd folks, with ALL the “usual suspects”  of offshoots, splinters, and alt-right gun cults.

We chat every blue moon or so. He's had some surgeries the last few years, and I keep him and his health in my prayers. Far as I know he's doing well these days. There's a few things we likely disagree on but at this stage there's no point, our paths hopefully remain on the same long arc of God's love and grace. My prayer for all of us is to live these last years without doing harm and without getting our butts kicked too much, or at least in a way that doesn't cripple us for the remaining time. I always tell anyone from the old days, if you were my friend then, you're still my friend now - let's not give each other a reason to change that. Brian's been gracious in talking and sharing with me, and I return the courtesy in kind. 

PEACE!!!!!

Edited by socks
Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything?

Been a different experience for me, Socks. It’s nothing personal. It’s about Justice. Love ya mon!

Brian had the potential to be another Don Moen, Paul Baloche, or Chris Tomlin but he never aimed for the top of CCM fame

From my perspective, Brian was a very talented, and very young man when he went in the Way Corps. We were all pretty young, but he was one of a few who had just graduated high school. He literally grew up and was raised in The Way Corps, for better or worse. Have you heard his CD "Electrified", TLB? It contains a range of old and many new songs he's recorded. Listen to that - you'll hear his journey, it'll tell you everything you want to know about his songwriting. 

IMO - Brian wrote two great songs, or I"ll say, I have two that would be my favorites - "Sons of God" and "Captain of Salvation", and of the two, CoS is my favorite. Sons of God is basically a reworking of "Maybe I'm Amazed", which McCartney had put out in 1970 on his first solo release after the Beatles parted ways. The chordal approach and chromatic run, etc all felt like that song and it was the obvious "where have we heard this before" influence but Brian did a good job with it - and it's not exactly like McCartney owns that bass run down now although he's made it part of his personal style. The original guitar solo that GDE played was patterned off McCartney's bend and release country/rock guitar solos on that song, again not a direct copy but the style fell into place that way. I switched from gutiar and played the bass on the earliest version and live, and added thunky ghost notes to the bass line, alternating between roomy 1/2 notes and percussive hits. The recording was plain vanilla all around, as usual but live there was room to play with the feel of it. Tempo-wise Sons of God could be very slow and dramatic or pick and move at a steady clip so it filled more than one emotional spot for the listener and that could be seen by how listeners reacted to it. It doesn't really tell a personal story, and I think Brian was stronger at this kind of direct statement/metaphor approach. 

Captain of Salvation pulled all of that together into a full, mature statement, using a similar maestoso feel to sections and this time with more of the heroic feel of a struggle that overcomes and as told by an observer - since the song didn't have an actual verse-chorus A-A-B-A structure it was able to kind of get going, keep going and roll to a big end with a flourish. The recording of it included "strings" and some orchestral sounding arrangement that served the overall vision well. 

I especially liked those two songs because while the lyrics had an element of inspiration to them they also reflected craft, how the rhymes were constructed, the editing process of the writing and then the final product being something that reads well as well as sings well. The music was based on the original piano parts and the arrangement enhanced the piano which contained the full statement of the song. That was part of JN"s challenge musically, there was always a lot going on, a lot of duplication in the tonal range, piano and guitar parts stacked on top of each other, etc. etc. Sometimes chords moved around each other, like 1's and 6's circling wagons. : ))) It took a few years to sort out a way to approach the music. Based on the earliest work we did with DWBH he and I were probably more inclined to a rock version of things, in fact we tried some Allman Bro's harmony parts here and there, he plays very lyrically, melodically, and I'd been a blues player dabbling in fusion-y stuff previous to all this so there was a basis for the music to go forward in a strong direction but alas - and interesting there was No Drummer from Day One so it was up to KM who gallantly took the task on. Without that we'd have had ol' Ted and his snare drum. And I loved Ted but yeah - ya gotta have a strong percussionist. I'd played all sort of music over the years prior so although I have my preferences like the others, I jumped in and gave it a shot. 

I'm happy with what we did, we tried and grew in the process. Great people working together towards a goal. Sure, it was a PFAL marketing machine for a lot of the time but the hearts of the individuals that wanted to serve God's people made it work when it did. Brians part in it was huge. These songs have meant a lot to a lot of people in ways that has nothing to do with The Way Nash and a lot to do with their faith and God's part of their lives. So - there's that and that's good thing. : )

Heiwa!!!!

Edited by socks
Sometimes, it is.
  • Like 1

Socks.......

Your post really kicked opened a lot of old, vivid memories of our first year in-rez together, 1973-74. Vic made us put all the instruments away for what, 6 weeks, 4 of which were da Klenz, right? LOL! What joy!

It reminded me of the days before the first Rock in ‘71, and then ROA ‘72, and then ‘73, right before we all entered the 4th corpse. Cookin’ Mama, Sonrise, Cliff and me, Sweet Fellowship, The Knox County Band, Daystar, ,Selah, and of course, Pressed Down. Remember that big Saturday Nite Doo at the big dance hall in New Bremen or Minster in ‘71? We rocked that place that night! LOL! How about the Cookin’ Mama invasion of Long Island after the ROA?? What a great time that was! Steve and Bev were there for that too.

Then....the birth of Way Productions Joyful Noise under the direction of Ted Ferrell, with Official Determinator Of Volume, Dorothy Owens! LOL. Weekly shows at the Crescent Theater in Minster. Free movie theater butter popcorn all week long, Saturday dress rehearsals, Sunday afternoon shows, starting in the fall of 1973. Clothes shopping for stage outfits in Dayton with Ted Ferrell in charge and driving!!! OMG! ROTFLMFAO! Joyful Noise was informally split into two groups....You and Ken, Dean, Brian,Claudette, Stevie Kay were the core of one and Cliff, Richie, Helen, Ted and me were the other. Mary Ann, Kish, Robin A. were also part of JN, and Mark Gluckin did the sound. WOW, what memories! Remember mixing and matching personnel, for little weekend trips to open up meetings for Vic outside of HQ, doing dances and jams for the in-rez corpse and staff.....lotsa good times, eh? 

I really admired your playing and seriousness about music. Was looking forward a lot to really coming up with some great ABB style guitar parts, but, when the first interim year assignments were made, and I saw mine as “Way Productions, HQ”, I FREAKED! There was no freaking way I was staying there another year! I wanted to get the hell “out on the field and move the word”, so I bitched to Vic and told him I didn’t wanna do it. He then screamed at me pleasantly and said, “And what gives YOU the right to be the first corps person to ever question my assignment?” Now what the f**k am I gonna do with ya??!”. LOL! So, we wound up in NC while you all stayed at HQ for the first ever Interim Year. And oh what a year that was!

Thanks for the memories, old friend. Love to you and your’s, and.............peace.

• Like 1

That door's a floodgate now, old friend! Wow...

Random thoughts...Back in touch with some of the old Cookin' Mama guys, one specifically who ended up in fact working for 10+ years with Gregg Allman on the road. He is a great musician, Tommy played guitar and was the founder of Cookin' Mama. We'd played together in a blues band prior to that which is how we met (and through that group of people is how I met my later-to-be-wife, although we soon realized we'd actually met the year prior to that - different story to that!).........Tommy picked up organ along the way when the CM band fleshed out from a 3 piece to horns and an expanded rhythm section which soon included me. He was getting his chops together on it by that summer when we went east after the ROA '71 to NY. I remember that C3? organ of Ralph's in his basement, where we rehearsed.....Alley Pond Park! that gig lingers in memory - playing with PDSTRO, and I think Sweet Fellowship, right? It was sort of a sprawl across the stage of several guitarists and bass and organ, etc. Loved playing there.  We'd worked our way across the country that summer, Kansas first stop where we played in Wichita with Donnie F and the gang who we'd met just the year before in California and played a few gigs with Dove, and some group named "Crank" who I think did plenty of it.....then Indianapolis with John Lynn and the early Good Seed boys and we played a couple times, then the Way Nash for the summer school and ROA, then on to New York.....Tommy went on to do more organ work, and eventually got hooked up with Allman and that group worked for quite awhile with him. They still gig together and go billed as his former road band. Course there's the whole extended family of musicians that are the top tier of the lineup around that family of musicians (Betts, Haynes, Trucks, Herring, etc etc) but Tommy and the boys can, as they say, play. Allman didn't have any you had to knock it out and cut it every time from what I've heard. I've jammed with his group before and they canmove it right along, as they say. I'm working on a bunch of his guitars right now in fact and every couple months we chat, exchange some guitars - we've talked a lot about that summer and how great it was to meet all of you other there....

And back to Brian - I'm not sure if he was in the fellowship in '71, up in White Plains or Larchmont at that time, I don't recall meeting him when we played up there in Rye at Bishop's Dad's church......but I remember you, Cliff, Richie, Steve Perez, the gang.....we stayed for a week or so with Donald and Polly L too - our VW bus engine blew up, on the way in (Throg's Neck Bridge) and we had to get it replaced - in fact we had it at Geer's family's home who were gone for the summer? but he was there, as I recall, in the backyard of what I remember as a huge-ass house, and after not getting it repaired by our collective efforts it went into a shop with our family picking up the tab to help us out - whole nother story there too - ! Anyway....

I remember your red 335! I had the gold top Les Paul at the time. And I get what you mean about living there for more years - unfortunately it all turned inward. Many of the earliest plans were to get music together and hit the road. JN did a fair amount of that as time went on............. CMama certainly never had any plans to go with a "house band" role although we were more than happy to support the Way Nash's efforts. I also tried later with Sonrise in California, in '72 and the Way Nash wasn't sure what it wanted to do yet - Dr VP asked me about the 4th Corps as he thought a few others were coming into the 4th too, which would have included you. So that was the next step, but without a full rhythm section it wasn't able to get off the ground at the rate I think I'd originally envisioned it. I'm a guitar player and it doesn't work telling musicians they're f'd up all day long and working for the devil if they sneeze wrong. I figured there'd be some of that but it got way out of hand..............There was that early spark and I always remember after that first concert in Minster when we did Richies "As He Is", with the fast/4 jam at the end and I did kind of abbreviated bebop solo style and later VPW commented he had no idea "I could play that stuff", I think he thought I was a hippy plucker from Cali and that was it. He made the infamous statement - "turn up, I could barely hear you!!!".............something that didn't get said much after that as between Dorothy and Mark G there was always someone to make sure it was never "too loud"........Ken M was more than patient from his perspective and eventually did the kind of work he wanted to which was great, stuff........ Cookin' Mama burned VP's hide on volume though - we made loud go a whole nother place. Somewhere in the middle would have been nice but it's weird and you reminded me, every dammed set of ears in the Way Corps was always being an expert on sound and volume and what God liked and disliked............having a bunch of farmers-kids and former MacDonald's managers run things for a worldwide audience was........limiting to say the least. But - we tried.

Which then reminds me of after Skip came in and joined in - Dorothy had always pumped that pipe organ like a tank, her and Rhoda could actually played pretty dammed loud for that BRC, at times. I remember Skip and I looking at each other at a SNS during one of those power-fests and cracking up! LIke - "whhhhuuuuut's happening HERE?".......they would crank it! Meanwhile I had a little pea shooter amp stuck under a piano somewhere and we were trying to figure out why no one could hear me....!! LOL!

The memories, man - I do wish we could have picked it some for another year, that would have been fun. Who knows? I remember that when we did that first ROA album of tunes my song ended up being that last one we worked on and we had to rush the guitar parts, but we did do some harmony parts and wrapped it at the last minute. Don't remember the name of it but I remember working the parts out with you. I've never really told you I don't think, but it was a bit of a let down you re assigned as there were no other blues/rock players in the group then, there was me. And me, and then me. The other guys were good musicians yes, but different styles. I did learn that whole Travis thing from Cliff - prior to that I did kind of a backwards roll being left handed, so I liked learning the "right way" on that.

Cool stuff, ol' friend!  

Edited by socks
Staff still may be able to see this

In May of 1985 I was with a bunch of other folks in South Dakota (Rapid City/ Black Hills) on L.E.A.D.  We had all just finished our "Duo" and everyone was back in camp when an armed uniformed park ranger came driving up the trail looking for us to let us know that they had got a phone call, and were asked to find us and tell us that docvic had passed.  I wondered why they were called and asked to look for us, but found out later on that the L.E.A.D. program was considered a "Mobile Root locale", and thus worthy of immediate notification of "breaking news" from NK.  Our week long L.E.A.D. program was cut short by a day and a half because of it, but none of us complained.  It's been 34 years since then and though the news was traumatic back then - - it is something I now no longer think about or remember - - except that in 1985 I was rock climbing and rappelling in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

I'm loving the musical history being shared in this thread by the two of you (Socks and DWBH).  :dance:   I was always envious of all of you in JN/ etc./ (not for the being on stage and performing part) but just for the opportunity to pick with other top quality musicians and make music.  I've had a chance to meet and hang out with a few at the heartbeats/ pfal 79/ ac 81/ etc./ etc. (back in the day) - - and it was always a treat and a learning experience.  R@ndy DeBrule (I think that was his name) was in a TWI Bluegrass group that did some touring, and he showed me one heck-uv-a lot of  melodic licks on the banjo.   Instead of Bluegrass - - docvic decided to call the music style "Truegrass" because in his "infinite wisdom" he decided nothing could be "blue" since that sounded sad and not "abundant". Like a lot of other things, he screwed up a perfectly good music genre name just to satisfy his ego.  

15285087_1440849335925925_4844378133729682160_n.jpg

Edited by dmiller
spelling
  • Like 1

So there's some keen musos here.  Think you should get yourselves together and lay down some tracks for us.

Twinky, I studied music in college but my CCM days have past since 2015 and am now more traditional classical style(organ, piano, harpsicord, percussion, sacred choral). I now rarely listen to Hillsong, Bethel, Newsong, Newsboys, etc.

DWBH ... So glad you stood up to VPW and ended up in North Carolina with us!

• Like 1