GreaseSpot Cafe

Newspaper articles/cartoons/comments

Kathy Niclaus

Here's a new thread, a place to put images like a funny cartoon from The New Yorker, or in this case, a comment made to a story in today's
Washington Post about the earthquake this morning in southern California.  I found this comment to be hilarious.  I'm a big New Yorker fan as well.  One of you Moderators can tell me whether or not political cartoons are allowed or verboten.

Screenshot (776).png

I don't think there's any problem with cartoons, but there was a big kerfluffle over Politics some years back.  

Right after 9-11,  posters were all buzzing about it, and the forum for that slowly, slowly morphed into a Politics forum.  It was a disaster to moderate, it was nasty, it was divisive, and Paw was about to pull the plug on the entire website over it, when the decision was made to shut down the Politics forum.  Not a problem, since the GSC has nothing to do with politics anyway, and would not have if 9-11 hadn't happened. 

Since then,  the staff has been trying to keep politics off the board.    I expect one will be along shortly to either confirm that, or to say I was incorrect and cartoons are fine.

So much of our daily existence has been intertwined with political events, it's become increasingly difficult to know where to draw the line. Fortunately, there seems to be no shortage of other online venues in which to express political frustrations. My personal experience has been that it's a good idea to exercise critical thinking skills and always consider the source when visiting such sites. Also, it helps to look at several sources and be on alert for examples of flawed logic and logical fallacies.

The opening post reflects the challenge we face. Making fun of Pat Robertson would appear to be fair game until you realize his connection to the Republican party and its base. The tweet quoted in the opening post doesn't even try to mask the political nature of its contempt for Robertson, with its "Trump/Putin 2020" statement: CLEARLY political.

I would be among the first to say there's a difference between politics in 2014 and politics in 2019. If you know me on a personal level, you know I have a LOT to say on the subject.

I also know what would happen to GSC if the "no politics" rule were not rigorously enforced, with an abundance of caution as the guiding principle.

I'm not trying to shot down the idea of this thread. Or maybe I am. I just do not see, at all, how it can work here without devolving rapidly into a political discussion. We didn't even make it through the opening post. 

I will await the input of my mod-ally before taking any action on this thread. I do hope this doesn't put Kathy off posting here. She seems to have been on the receiving of a lot of mod action lately (not a judgment or criticism: just an observation).

Just now realizing this is the humor forum.

We'll leave it at this: No politics. Period. The opening post will stay up as an example of what NOT to post. 

Whether something is political will be discussed by the mods if there's any need for that. The decisions we make in that regard, as a whole, are guaranteed to be both flawed and final.

On 7/5/2019 at 11:27 AM, modcat5 said:

Just now realizing this is the humor forum.

We'll leave it at this: No politics. Period. The opening post will stay up as an example of what NOT to post. 

Whether something is political will be discussed by the mods if there's any need for that. The decisions we make in that regard, as a whole, are guaranteed to be both flawed and final.

When I posted the screenshot of the comment from the Washington Post, I thought it was hilarious due to the made up ID of the poster, "RobinMBlind" and the religious reference to Pat Robertson talking about Cheezus sending an earthquake. In retrospect, given your comments, had it been possible to edit out the "Trump/Putin 2020!" part of the comment from a screenshot I would have, because the humor stands alone from the aspect of ridiculing how Robertson is always claiming that Jesus is punishing people through natural disasters, and the "down dare" reflecting the illiteracy of a large part of his following.  As for the remarks about excluding Robertson jokes based on his alignment with Republicans, that I find to be splitting hairs, because he is first and foremost a sham TV preacher who has been fleecing people and preying on their vulnerabilities for decades.  Since this is a group that arose from a sham ministry, I would hope that other sham ministries would be open for discussion.   As for my question in my opening post about political cartoons, I wasn't even thinking about this comment that I posted, I was just asking for future posts because there is so much politically tinged comment nowadays, and it isn't always overtly political either.  Right now the amount of hilarious memes that are riffing on the fourth of July speech content about airports is amazing, and it just keeps growing.

Per modcat's remarks about my receiving a lot of moderation lately, I did catch some comments the other day in the "....lurker...." thread about a bunch of comments posts being removed for review and frankly I am grateful. I had seen a particular post where someone was randomly telling a PTSD survivor what to do, was nicely suggested to back off, came back with a rationalization, and so I jumped in. A mini fracas ensued with a third party who took it upon herself to get in the middle. We had words. I guess it escalated after that based on comments and moderators swept it clean. I take no umbrage and am not discouraged.

Lastly- what is up with the HTML? The formatting is down on the site. Lifted up concurred with me via FB Messenger that it's not my browser or server, he's having the same problem.