GreaseSpot Cafe

admiration of leaders feeds their egos in destructive ways

annio

Can't find a previous topic on vpw et al's ego problems, so am starting this:

Just heard about Any Stanley's "Laws of Applause"- If a (Christian) leader starts buying into the deceit that it is all about him/her and should be, then three things can happen:

- The exceptional (performance, revelation, etc) that is applauded becomes expected, [and pressure mounts for more membership, new revelations, etc.]

- Admiration/applause can lead to the leader's sense of entitlement/ [access to ppls' money, power, bodies, etc.]

- The honoring/applause can become addictive, [and he/she need more and more...]

What's in brackets is my own explaining... So these apply, right??? Hell yeah, to vpw, lcm, et al. Just thought I would share...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, annio said:

Just heard about Any Stanley's "Laws of Applause"- If a (Christian) leader starts buying into the deceit that it is all about him/her and should be, then three things can happen:

- The exceptional (performance, revelation, etc) that is applauded becomes expected, [and pressure mounts for more membership, new revelations, etc.]

- Admiration/applause can lead to the leader's sense of entitlement/ [access to ppls' money, power, bodies, etc.]

- The honoring/applause can become addictive, [and he/she need more and more...]

What's in brackets is my own explaining... So these apply, right??? Hell yeah, to vpw, lcm, et al. Just thought I would share...

Got a link?

Is applause in church esp for a sermon a peculiarly American thing?  I don't know anybody who would applaud a sermon.  Or the music (aka "worship") group.  Nor would it be expected.  Goodness me, the rest of the congregation would look at you, if you did such a thing. :evildenk: We Brits are very undemonstrative.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rejoice said:

Thanks. I didn't expound, but I generally appreciate it, when someone makes a claim, that they share with us something showing how they came up with it, or support of some kind.

I kinda figured the claim was intuitively reasonable, but still like to read up on it.

Edited by Rocky

10 hours ago, Rejoice said:

An insightful article. Thanks very much. I suspect there is more to it than that, from a psychological perspective, but yeah, it makes very good sense.

And thanks Annio for this thread. :love3:

15 hours ago, Twinky said:

Is applause in church esp for a sermon a peculiarly American thing?  I don't know anybody who would applaud a sermon.  Or the music (aka "worship") group.  Nor would it be expected.  Goodness me, the rest of the congregation would look at you, if you did such a thing. :evildenk: We Brits are very undemonstrative.

I don't know if it's exclusively American, but it's not just a twi-thing.  I once had a copy of "Pocket Quips" (copyright 1984)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11253742-pocket-quips-777-quotables

and it said the following on applause during a sermon  (approximately if not verbatim):

-Applause at the beginning of a sermon is faith.

-Applause during the  middle of a sermon is hope.

-Applause at the end of a sermon is love.

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2019 at 2:37 PM, annio said:

Annio, thanks for the post.

"Hitler was a poor tramp and it needed the acclaim of the Germans to make Hitler what he became. This the exhibition tries to reflect. It is about propaganda and it is about the means of his attraction."  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-11542473

When in doubt find a BBC documentary and quote about Hitler.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Nice thread Annio – and good input by everyone…           

== == == ==

:offtopic:   

Bolshevik’s reference to quote about Hitler made me think on an episode of The Office where Jim offers to help Dwight draft an acceptance speech for his salesman of the year award. As a prank Jim plagiarizes from old speeches of dictators like the Italian fascist leader Benito Mussolini. Jim even suggests Dwight forcefully pound on the podium to give certain lines more impact. It’s hilarious to watch Dwight’s rousing acceptance talk  – it sounds more like some eve of battle speech to get you pumped to go to war – and how it excites the audience – and how their applause boosts Dwight’s confidence…(the episode is so funny I guess it even warranted a  Wikipedia article on Dwight’s Speech episode of the office    )... Just thought I add a little levity to this thread - anyway here's the scene:

Dwight’s acceptance speech – on You Tube

On 9/5/2019 at 2:37 PM, annio said:

Annio, very interesting topic.  Thanks for posting.  I just wanted to add my two cents: When I was young, and insecure, I needed a lot of attention.  I think for some kids, attention is a form of security; thus it equals love.  However, my mother never understood this; she was very self-absorbed.  Throughout, my childhood, I felt unloved, and because of it, I was a very insecure, and unhappy person.  However, one day, I realized God loves me.  What a profound impact that had on me!!  God, Almighty, the Creator of Heaven, and Earth, loves me.  Why, I will never know; I am nothing special.  I'm not gifted in anything; nor am I particularly intelligent.  I am not beautiful, nor am I wealthy.  But for some reason, God loves me.  His son Jesus, died for me, a sinner.  In my case, a sinner unknown by most of the world.  To this day, that fact astonishes me, but it warms my heart daily.  I know my siblings love me, and I love them in return.  I have a few friends, that I love dearly.  However, my inability to be a perfect, loving person, at all times, is fine with God.  He knows my heart; He knows I strive to be a loving, kind person every day.  Some days I am, and some days, I'm not.  In my own humble way, I strive to be the woman God wants me to be.  I don't need the world's love, and acclaim, I have God's.  Thus, I am secure nowadays, in ways I wasn't as a child.  I don't need to feed my small ego, in self-destructive ways.  No power in this world, will ever separate me from God, and His love.  None!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well I for one have a regret over the years of providing way too much personal encouragement for @$$holes.

Yes we stroked their egos.  The way they have policy set up strokes their egos.

I should not have told them they are great.  They aren’t.  I was part of the problem.  I have since rectified this as you see.

The Christians in the Way are part of the body of Christ.

A deluded part that needs prayers.  One that has a fake family with a lesbian couple at the helm.  I mean not that I have extreme issues with the lesbian family part now.  It’s just all the lies posturing and need to ruin others lives over preserving the lies that is the biggest evil.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1