GreaseSpot Cafe
Sign in to follow this  
annio

admiration of leaders feeds their egos in destructive ways

Can't find a previous topic on vpw et al's ego problems, so am starting this:

Just heard about Any Stanley's "Laws of Applause"- If a (Christian) leader starts buying into the deceit that it is all about him/her and should be, then three things can happen:

- The exceptional (performance, revelation, etc) that is applauded becomes expected, [and pressure mounts for more membership, new revelations, etc.]

- Admiration/applause can lead to the leader's sense of entitlement/ [access to ppls' money, power, bodies, etc.]

- The honoring/applause can become addictive, [and he/she need more and more...]

What's in brackets is my own explaining... So these apply, right??? Hell yeah, to vpw, lcm, et al. Just thought I would share...

1 hour ago, annio said:

Can't find a previous topic on vpw et al's ego problems, so am starting this:

Just heard about Any Stanley's "Laws of Applause"- If a (Christian) leader starts buying into the deceit that it is all about him/her and should be, then three things can happen:

- The exceptional (performance, revelation, etc) that is applauded becomes expected, [and pressure mounts for more membership, new revelations, etc.]

- Admiration/applause can lead to the leader's sense of entitlement/ [access to ppls' money, power, bodies, etc.]

- The honoring/applause can become addictive, [and he/she need more and more...]

What's in brackets is my own explaining... So these apply, right??? Hell yeah, to vpw, lcm, et al. Just thought I would share...

Got a link?

Is applause in church esp for a sermon a peculiarly American thing?  I don't know anybody who would applaud a sermon.  Or the music (aka "worship") group.  Nor would it be expected.  Goodness me, the rest of the congregation would look at you, if you did such a thing. :evildenk: We Brits are very undemonstrative.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rejoice said:

Thanks. I didn't expound, but I generally appreciate it, when someone makes a claim, that they share with us something showing how they came up with it, or support of some kind.

I kinda figured the claim was intuitively reasonable, but still like to read up on it.

Edited by Rocky

10 hours ago, Rejoice said:

An insightful article. Thanks very much. I suspect there is more to it than that, from a psychological perspective, but yeah, it makes very good sense.

And thanks Annio for this thread. :love3:

15 hours ago, Twinky said:

Is applause in church esp for a sermon a peculiarly American thing?  I don't know anybody who would applaud a sermon.  Or the music (aka "worship") group.  Nor would it be expected.  Goodness me, the rest of the congregation would look at you, if you did such a thing. :evildenk: We Brits are very undemonstrative.

I don't know if it's exclusively American, but it's not just a twi-thing.  I once had a copy of "Pocket Quips" (copyright 1984)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11253742-pocket-quips-777-quotables

and it said the following on applause during a sermon  (approximately if not verbatim):

-Applause at the beginning of a sermon is faith.

-Applause during the  middle of a sermon is hope.

-Applause at the end of a sermon is love.