GreaseSpot Cafe

Friend's son started attending local twi fellowship

annio

Question

So, my friend's rather vulnerable son and I will be meeting soon since he's being pressured to pay for/ take their class, get off disability and get a job, etc. Any news about the success of reforms from HQ? The area leaders here near Indianapolis I connected with a few years ago seemed same ol' same ol'... This is pretty weird I must say, as I left Geer-land in '06, and my occasional more recent connections with CFF have been good since they are evolving away from so much of the twi mindset. 

Just thought I would toss this out, in case anyone has any thoughts... Will probably ask the fellow some Q's, see what his responses are, and honestly share my experiences... Thanks!:wave:

2 answers to this question

Not a direct answer, but some years ago, the son of a friend/acquaintance decided he was going to go on the SOWERS whatever-it-is (SOWERS is another splinter group).  (I think he was in his early 20s at the time.)  I was so concerned that I took him out for a coffee and explained at some length the dangers of the parent org (TWI) and the damage it has done to so many.  I don't think he was convinced or really took on board what I was saying.  However, his visa didn't come through and he never went.  I wonder now if he realises that he had a narrow escape?  Probably not, but I felt I could not let him go there without warning that it could be detrimental to him.  Even if he went, he'd've had a context for some of the behaviors he might well encounter.

As well as gently questioning the lad, I'd tell-all to your friend, the vulnerable lad's parent, and ask her to get him to open up to her about whatever he's thinking - especially if he gets to attend the group.  Maybe she can go with him and confront, or at least sound out, the leaders?  It could be that the leader(s) is/are genuinely trying to help.  If so, they won't resent the questioning.

Mind you, if he's vulnerable and on disability benefits, he's hardly their long-term prospect, so they might drop him quickly.