GreaseSpot Cafe

Three movies or Three actors

Raf

I can see his face but I cannot tell you his name.

Is it cheating if I look up the case of a movie or show I KNOW he's in, and get his name from there without confirming his filmography?

3 hours ago, Raf said:

Is it cheating if I look up the case of a movie or show I KNOW he's in, and get his name from there without confirming his filmography?

If you look up something used as a clue (Human used "Godzilla", for example), then it would be cheating.  If you looked at the above list and, say, went to look up "Xanadu"  or something, then it should not be considered cheating.

4 hours ago, Raf said:

No, of course not.  Its just confirming something that you were already familiar with.  As long as we're (including myself) not directly googling or asking Alexa, then it's fine.  Correct me, anyone, if you think I am wrong?  

39 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

If that's the correct answer (Human? Is it?)  then I think that's a legit way to get there without cheating.

I don't know Temple Grandin, I do know he was in LA Confidential however, (next clue) so the correct answer is David Strathairn.  I wonder what George thinks about this?  If I think I know the answer and find a source whether that be a movie jacket or DVD or album cover and my inclination was correct I would call that just having fun playing a game.  However, to be fair if I find that I am incorrect then I withdraw myself from the play and wait for the next round.

I'm not sure what Human means by withdrawing from play.  Since Strathairn is the answer, it only matters if Raf was "cheating."  I agree with WW that looking up an actor's photo (in a movie or TV role not mentioned in the clue) just to get his name is NOT cheating.  In a related thread (Triple Movie Links), when the final clue was "Meet Joe Black,"  I believed Brad Pitt to be in it, so I IMDb-ed Brad Pitt, and found that I was correct.  (I sometimes get him confused with Leo DiCaprio and Matt Damon.)  I don't consider THAT cheating, though I would have considered it cheating to IMDb "Met Joe Black."

Raf's up.

George

Ok, Raf is up.

If I understand correctly, Human was giving his perspective, how he sees situations in accordance with these games.   He stated under which conditions he felt he would disqualify himself- because otherwise he'd consider it 'cheating.'        For example, I find it ok to ask Mrs Wolf (using only her memory)  but will not allow her to look up the answer, only tell me what she remembers herself (and I give her credit accordingly.)     I don't think Human's ideas are far from mine in this.      We're all on the honor system here, and all of us seem to have no problems with it. 

On 3/19/2020 at 6:22 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm not sure what Human means by withdrawing from play.  Since Strathairn is the answer, it only matters if Raf was "cheating."  I agree with WW that looking up an actor's photo (in a movie or TV role not mentioned in the clue) just to get his name is NOT cheating.  In a related thread (Triple Movie Links), when the final clue was "Meet Joe Black,"  I believed Brad Pitt to be in it, so I IMDb-ed Brad Pitt, and found that I was correct.  (I sometimes get him confused with Leo DiCaprio and Matt Damon.)  I don't consider THAT cheating, though I would have considered it cheating to IMDb "Met Joe Black."

Raf's up.

George

I agree with most of this.  First, what I mean by withdrawing George (it would be cheating to continue playing) is if I were looking up something, lets use your example Joe Black, in a thread (Triple Movie Links) because I thought an actor was in the movie and using your example, Brad Pitt wasn't in it, but in doing so I also discovered another actor who was in it that would be cheating to use that actor to play.   I also agree with you using the picture of someone whom you think is the actress or actor in a particular movie to confirm that you are right is fine.  A lot of various sources,  wiki, Imdb, Biog, often splash different pictures and movies that might help to solve the clues but unless you intended to find the correct answer and did not and were given another correct clue that is when I would disqualify myself from playing.  And I would hope that anyone else doing so would also, which I'm sure they are.

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

Christopher Lee's been in a lot of stuff.  Warren Oates did a lot of war movies.  I'm thinking it's a war movie.  With Tim Matheson, it couldn't be VERY old. That's all I've got. 

You're more on track that you realize.