GreaseSpot Cafe

An emptiness Inside about the Way International

Zanezim

I got involved with The Way Ministry in Emporia Kansas. A friend of mine introduced me to the Way by going to

The Way College  Sunday morning fellowship. This occurred in the late 70's. During those years,  getting involved

was the best thing that ever happened to me in my life. Seeing all the love people had for one another was something

I never experience before. I felt so go for many years.

I could go on about my life story here regarding the way. I will be brief. Well the 90's came. I knew that even slightly before

Dr. Wierwille fell asleep, something about the way was going wrong. It was in the air or I could sense something was not right.

I got kicked out of the way during the early 90's because of being in Debt. Martingale was taking being in debt way over his head. He was

always telling people to get out of debt. 

I used to admire Craig Martindale, but that changed in the 90's.

Anyway, I miss the the love people had one for another during the 70's and early 80's. I feel sort of an emptiness inside of myself, 

being around some of the wonderful people I did meet when I first got involved in the early years.

Alan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zanezim said:

I got involved with The Way Ministry in Emporia Kansas. A friend of mine introduced me to the Way by going to

The Way College  Sunday morning fellowship. This occurred in the late 70's. During those years,  getting involved

was the best thing that ever happened to me in my life. Seeing all the love people had for one another was something

I could go on about my life story here regarding the way. I will be brief. Well the 90's came. I knew that even slightly before

Dr. Wierwille fell asleep, something about the way was going wrong. It was in the air or I could sense something was not right.

I got kicked out of the way during the early 90's because of being in Debt. Martingale was taking being in debt way over his head. He was

Anyway, I miss the the love people had one for another during the 70's and early 80's. I feel sort of an emptiness inside of myself, 

being around some of the wonderful people I did meet when I first got involved in the early years.

Alan

Hi Alan,

All of that is completely understandable. 

The 1990s are a couple of decades behind us.

How did you cope or adapt to that loneliness?

Rocky

13 hours ago, Zanezim said:

Alan

Hi Zanezim (Alan) and welcome to Grease Spot !

I can relate to your post – having similar feelings myself. It’s something I think we all can relate to – since we are social creatures. I think there’s an assortment of social ties – some good…some not so good. I still miss the genuine love I experienced with some folks when I was in TWI. What I don’t miss are any of the artificial connections that were generated/manipulated by TWI top leadership (maybe something along the lines of a weird “collective consciousness” or group-think…a fabricated social cohesion if you will…I don’t know) - - this was by  design - as a means of keeping us in the group!

collective consciousness definition

Grease Spot topic on social cohesion in TWI

Anyway, glad to see you here and hope your journey will continue to fill that void with some healing…and new relationships as well as possibly rekindle some old ones that you miss.

Edited by T-Bone
typos & formatting

Welcome, Zanezim,

I hope you find some good virtual camaraderie here. I did.

I spent 17 years in TWI (1970-1987) and the lovely, non-manipulative people I met but don't see anymore is what I miss most about that time.

Over the years, though, I've made new friends whose love is not dependent upon whether I am like-minded with them about the Bible. Relief! 

Cheers and happy holiday season to you and to everyone here at GSC.

Penworks

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The coolest thing about Christianity is that it makes for a lot of wonderful friendships and relationships.

I had to learn to not treat it as a company or a business or even an ideal that I was trying to put into action. In the beginning of my Christian faith I didn't see it that way but as time went on I gave little bits of that away in trade for my work, for acceptance and a social circle I felt I could depend on - boy, you find out real quickly in the Way that they really DO NOT have any friends when it comes to The Word, and in order to stay on year after year you have to basically just assemble and work with the others who claim to have the same beliefs. It's not a truly woven in "love" of God or anything else. 

I tell people today - if you were my friend back then, you still are. Don't give me a reason to change that and we're good to go. 

On the other hand, if someone did wrong by my then, or if I thought someone was a jerk, ass hole or self serving hypocritical liar then - I'm going to need to see that they've changed before I get involved with them to any degree. I don't feel bad about that, it's just the way it is. I can "love" that person best in the active sense by keeping a distance between us, and if things turn that we are in touch in some way, we can proceed from there. But I don't seek them out, nor expect they will me. 

Lastly, I consider myself a "free range Christian" and have used that term to describe my place in the church since the 80's when I left the Way. It's a big body of Christ I'm a part of and there's MILLIONS of brothers and sisters I haven't even met in whom God is living and working, as He is in and with me. I am also not a member of any Way or ex-Way groups, ministries, fellowships, splinter groups, societies or assemblies, fraternal organizations or businesses, be it formal or ex-officio. No books to sell, classes to offer or writings based on repackaged PFAL teachings to sell, and no allegiances to base my ties, involvements or agreements on, other than Jesus Christ and God. This allows me to participate as I see fit and God leads. It's working well for both my wife and I. 

PEACE! Life is a rich experience to be enjoyed, so enjoy it! It's pretty cool too when it doesn't suck and it sucks big time when it isn't cool. 

Make it cool, friend! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 1:42 PM, Zanezim said:

Thanks everybody for all the responses. We all indeed have something in common here.

Z, I think many of us have some things in common.  I agree with many of the posts, but some I don't.  I try to be polite, and respectful, even to those I disagree with.  However, I am drawn to the GSC, by the posts themselves.  Some of the people who post here, are professional writers, or writers who have a lot of writing experience.  Some of us had good experiences with TWI, some had horrible ones, and others like myself, had a combination of both.  I quietly left in 1988, after being in for 10 years, but I do have some wonderful memories of my time in TWI.  But, I also have some unpleasant memories of my time in TWI.  Looking back, I wish I had left much sooner than I did, but I was young, and foolishly believed TWI would get it's act together, and start standing on The Word. Obviously that never happened, or I would still be involved.  But, God got me in, and He got me out.  For that, I am thankful. 

• 3 months later...

Picking up here re: some emptiness... Any thoughts??-

So here's my story- old friends, Branch coordinators (w/ twi and w/ Chris Geer) who left town around '93, have returned, and have finally moved out of Chris Geer mode (and into Gerald Wren's sphere apparently). They had married my h and me in '86; us believers here were a very close knit bunch until things began to fall apart a few years later. Several other folks who moved away (geographically or from my fellowship group) are back too and are joining the above folks around GW. One of them connected w/ me, and invited me to fellowship w/ them / listen to GW phone hook-up. Not going to as I mentioned in another post, BUT!

There are still attachments from back then that were unceremoniously severed amidst trauma, and I want to reconnect, heal, and re-establish things on present day Realities. But am NERVOUS! Part of me knows that it could be like going to one's 50th highschool reunion- the emotional ties just won't be there any more. But that would be good to process. Plus I think it could be really good to catch up with them; an awful lot of H2O has gone under our bridges!  And maybe later, I would want to find out where they are at doctrinally, and enjoy what we do have in common, and allow gracious room for what we don't... IF they can, and do not become dogmatic etc. Guess that is what I am most nervous about... We were all buddy-buddy and kind to each other when we were "like-minded" around vpw-ianism, but what about now?

Well, Covid would only permit phone calls for me, so actually going out for coffee won't happen for awhile... Maybe sooner than later tho... Anyone have similar situations? Thanks!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, annio said:

Picking up here re: some emptiness... Any thoughts??-

So here's my story- old friends, Branch coordinators (w/ twi and w/ Chris Geer) who left town around '93, have returned, and have finally moved out of Chris Geer mode (and into Gerald Wren's sphere apparently). They had married my h and me in '86; us believers here were a very close knit bunch until things began to fall apart a few years later. Several other folks who moved away (geographically or from my fellowship group) are back too and are joining the above folks around GW. One of them connected w/ me, and invited me to fellowship w/ them / listen to GW phone hook-up. Not going to as I mentioned in another post, BUT!

There are still attachments from back then that were unceremoniously severed amidst trauma, and I want to reconnect, heal, and re-establish things on present day Realities. But am NERVOUS! Part of me knows that it could be like going to one's 50th highschool reunion- the emotional ties just won't be there any more. But that would be good to process. Plus I think it could be really good to catch up with them; an awful lot of H2O has gone under our bridges!  And maybe later, I would want to find out where they are at doctrinally, and enjoy what we do have in common, and allow gracious room for what we don't... IF they can, and do not become dogmatic etc. Guess that is what I am most nervous about... We were all buddy-buddy and kind to each other when we were "like-minded" around vpw-ianism, but what about now?

Well, Covid would only permit phone calls for me, so actually going out for coffee won't happen for awhile... Maybe sooner than later tho... Anyone have similar situations? Thanks!

Annio, personally, with Covid going around, I am not up to visiting other people, but even a phone call nowadays would be welcomed.  Hopefully, some time this year, Covid will be brought under control, and life will go on somewhat normally.  But before then, phone calls, and other forms of communication, will be a blessing to many of us.

Making phone contact might be good; if it gets too edgy, you can always make the excuse that there's somebody at the door or some such.  If you really were friends before, then it could work out well.  If they've still got links with C Geer, or G Wrenn, I'd be somewhat wary.  There's a thread about Wrenn somewhere here; and plenty of words about Geer.

I reconnected with my Corps sister after many years; we had a good time together and remain friends.  Most of 'em I wouldn't particularly want to hang out with again.  

On the other hand, I hooked up initially with some ex-Wayfers and it was as if they'd never left, with all this excessive "the Word says" and "doctor taught" stuff.  Impossible to talk to!  They hadn't been in anywhere near as deeply as me, and couldn't understand the immense hurt and damage that had happened to me.  LOL, they had a big meeting and some guy (Rev Lightfoot?) came and talked.  I mentioned something to him afterwards and he latched on to that, and proceeded to talk at me (not to me) for I think about 20 or 25 mins.  Didn't seek any input or response from me; just wanted to tell me why I was wrong (which I wasn't).  At first I hid my amusement at his long-windedness; but then I simply walked off.

• Upvote 2