GreaseSpot Cafe

HQ Way Kid thru 2013

Ghosted

Mornin' y'all,

I was born into this ministry about 21 years ago to two Way Corps(e? lol) ministers who worked at HQ from I don't know when to 2013.  That means- yes, your logical inferences are correct- I had to spend my entire childhood living in f*cking New Knoxville, OH.  There were, I think, only two other kids my age who were born in '98 and stayed through '13; certainly there were none whose parents were fired in '13.  So I'm sure whatever poor guy they've got monitoring this has already deductively identified me- but I don't care, I've already put my name to a review on Google Maps.  2 stars, I have only good memories of the food, especially that dope foot split pea soup.

To give you an idea of the enduring psychological pain I've got, just writing that opener means my arms have started shaking and my mind has sorta gone blank.  The shrink at my college told me I've got PTSD, though she was a PHD student so that's no official diagnosis.  In the few years I've been out, I've managed to forget a lot, but I see that y'all are curious for what goes on past 2000, and I think it'll be a good exercise for me to try and remember.  So any questions you've got about HQ, or even through R&R- my parents still keep up with that- I'm right here.

I'll just use the rest of this post to detail the circumstances of our leaving, since I think they're pretty emblematic of the, uh, dank authoritarian vibes leadership has kept up past the Martindale era.  In the 2011-2012 school year I was in eighth grade and I developed this illness which was pretty bad- kept me out of school almost every day in April of that year.  My attendance freshman year was even worse; I think I missed close to 1/3 of all school days.  What was this illness, you ask?  The main symptom was very intense physical stomach pain- which doctors couldn't explain after 2 endoscopes and a colonoscopy.  My personal theory is that it was literally a physical incarnation of the stress I was under, since it sort of magically disappeared about 6 months after my family left NK.  Correlation =/= causation and all that, but whatever.  So anyway, I go into sophomore year and rack up like 7 absences in 3 weeks and NKHS tells my parents look, ya kid is a straight-A student who easily passes his tests without attending class but we just can't do this relationship anymore because we're unwilling to bend our absence policy.  So I'm politely shown the door to this alternative online high school.  That's all it took, folks.  See, Rivenbark apparently does not believe that online school is a place that good Way Corps should send their kids.  So two weeks after my parents make this decision, she gets Phil to summarily fire them from their severely underpaid HQ jobs. (Thank god, maybe they still have time to save for retirement.) Then about a year later, they're booted from the core.

It was my dream to be a Way Corps member through 9th grade, guys I was 100% sold.  Now I flinch when I hear church music- I heard Rise and Shine a couple months ago and had a full-on mental breakdown.  My parents have gone from making me speak in tongues to pleading with me to not give up on God.  My honest response to that is that whatever God I believed in in childhood is 6 feet under, the new meme is judging people based on their actions and words instead of automatically hating gay people.  I think I love them too much to ever say that, especially since sometimes I think otherwise about the first part.  Anyway, thanks for reading, peace.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hello and welcome.

PTSD is not uncommon among twi survivors, especially people who grew up in twi who now have to learn how to live all over again.

As you no doubt know, differences of opinion are ENCOURAGED here, not simply allowed.  So, you'll find posters on opposite sides of most discussions (at least when it's busy here.) 

That having been said, it's (obviously?)  true that religious beliefs here run the gamut, ranging occasionally between "shut down all churches worldwide and arrest all the clergy" (a slight exaggeration, but it's sounded like that here at times)  to "Yes, wierwille the plagiarizing rapist did indeed speak directly for God, since God Almighty appointed him out of all the possible spokespeople for 2000 years, and he where he walked, the earth shook." (That was NOT an exaggeration.)   So,  if you want to hear why atheism is your only sensible course from here on, we've people who can explain that one to you.  And, if you want to hear that God Almighty still Loves and answers prayers in spite of evil people, we've people who can explain that one to you as well.    No doubt they'll all introduce themselves shortly. 

Enjoy your stay here. :)

• Like 2

Welcome to Grease Spot, Ghosted !!!

Thanks for sharing your story. Enjoy your visit here. I was in Family Corps 11 and know firsthand how much bondage and stress all that stuff can put on someone – kids as well as adults. Grease Spot is great for encouraging freedom of thought and developing critical thinking skills.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Ghosted, I just saw your post and want to respond even if kinda late...  (I post here irregularly but read posts more often to keep me balanced in my own PTSD recovery from the way, among other things.) Wow, you have been through a lot, but I am very glad that you have some good support, and are able to put these unimaginable  things into words so well. Yes, I too trigger when I hear certain songs, and just reading about your story sent me to the kitchen for some comforting hot tea and a break...

The motherly side of me comes out when I hear of these very difficult things that we parents have unintentionally exposed our children to. I send heartfelt thoughts, wishes, prayers (take your pick) for your recovery. :love3:  My own daughter had attendance problems due to stomach issues in 7th grade (my h and I had left the way in Indiana in '88, but I had "trained my children in the way they should go" very stridently so that they would not have to go thru all of the childhood trauma or hippie years I went thru; when things started to fall apart in those early years, my h and I ended up divorcing; was extremely hard on my daughter and all of us)  After being dismissed from public school, my daughter had a really tough time in several not-good schools.  She still has some struggles these 7 years later, but has some good counseling (EMDR is helping her alot with PTSD if you want to explore something like that) and is doing much better.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story here, and for offering your perspective on what has happened recently at HQ! The very best to you! (Sending a virtual emoticon with a raised glass to celebrate YOU!:wave:)

• Upvote 2

Something I missed before, but caught my eye now......

twi is still teaching to "hate gay people"?    Is it really true that nobody knows that rosalie rivenbark- expresident and current power-behind-the-throne-  that same rosalie fox rivenbark is gay?  This was an open secret in certain circles once upon a time.  Has that become a complete secret now?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 9:02 PM, WordWolf said:

Something I missed before, but caught my eye now......

twi is still teaching to "hate gay people"?    Is it really true that nobody knows that rosalie rivenbark- expresident and current power-behind-the-throne-  that same rosalie fox rivenbark is gay?  This was an open secret in certain circles once upon a time.  Has that become a complete secret now?  

On 2/1/2020 at 5:23 PM, Twinky said:

Are Rosie and Donna still an "item"?

Not in the circles the kids run in.  My parents were never high up- In 20 years of working on staff they were never promoted.  I dunno what that says about them. Seems to me they liked to keep their heads down.  I think I heard once at the dinner table that Donna lived with Rosalie and helped her with her housework or something.

As far as teaching is concerned, yes, homosexuality was cast to me as like this cardinal sin.  

10 hours ago, Ghosted said:

I think I heard once at the dinner table that Donna lived with Rosalie and helped her with her housework or something.

From what I gather, Donna certainly helps Rosalie make her bed - and lie in it.  LOL!

• 2 months later...

Welcome!! Keep browsing here. That’s how I got my family out. He was brought up from birth in TWI so old habits die hard. Just realize that you escaped the cult and now you can find what you like / love/ want without the pressure of having to put “the Ministry first”! Oh I know they say Gawd First but the ministry = God =ministry and all that. 
take it one day at a time. You’re in the right place - keep searching for peace! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ghosted - I would have been on staff from 2003-2005.  WD on staff in 2003, married in 2005.  I probably knew your folks.  I was also raised in The Word (TM) and got out.  It is PTSD.  Don't downplay it, that place causes serious trauma, and when you are raised in it it makes it worse.  Know that there are people who understand, and if you need anything feel free to reach out.  I come and go as needed on this site to help manage my own PTSD, and to help others when I can.  Sending love - it gets better the longer you are gone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...