GreaseSpot Cafe

A couple of questions about VPW

Jim

Take a look at this.  You'll see time in the US is ... well, a tiny paragraph, mentioning no place by name. 60 Years of Ministry — Peter Wade, Bible teacher  All on peterwade.com.

Here's some of his books: Amazon.com: Peter John Wade: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Here's a YouTube link: Peter Wade - YouTube

Here's something else:  Getting To Know Peter Wade [PeterWade.com Newsletter #362] (campaign-archive.com)

Not that this thread is about Peter Wade.  You'll see from the items referenced above that he has a long church background, from way before he ever got involved in TWI.  VPW would want him alongside to give credibility to VPW himself.  No doubt he got fed up with VPW's braggadocio and began to get uncomfortable with what he was hearing taught. 

Edited by Twinky
  • Upvote 1

it's common for cult leaders to come up with a NEW SPECTACULAR DISCOVERY ONLY I KNOW ABOUT at least once a year to keep followers and money coming in. Michael Rood has done this for years- like clockwork, every 12 months. New video series, new pitch for money. vpw did the same - 4 crucified!  No trinity was guaranteed to get attention- he even drove his motor home into town and posted the AMAZING discovery on the local church's door. Only he knew truth not tradition!?!?

many of vp's sources were New Thought (like Christian Science) Clark, Mosely, Cliffe, etc, who don't even know a personal God much less a Trinity. But I suspect Lamsa put vp over the top on this. Lamsa himself was a cult leader who, like vp, rewrote Bible verses when he felt like it.a

• Like 1

The sad thing was that 4 crucified was ancient news, even if true.

Nothing new here, move along.. same for 3 days and three nights, etc. etc.  I would say, what's the relevance?  In a Practical sense.  What do you think that I should do differently, if Jesus is God or not, or if there are a 4 + 1 crucified or 2+1 = 3.. should I love God or my neighbor any differently?

1 hour ago, Ham said:

The sad thing was that 4 crucified was ancient news, even if true.

Nothing new here, move along.. same for 3 days and three nights, etc. etc.  I would say, what's the relevance?  In a Practical sense.  What do you think that I should do differently, if Jesus is God or not, or if there are a 4 + 1 crucified or 2+1 = 3.. should I love God or my neighbor any differently?

This reminds me of that old time-proven scripture:

"Tis easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than to explain 4 crucified."

Edited by waysider

this thread started out with "A couple of questions about VPW"...and here's a couple of questions vpw would suggest:

ask not what your cult-leader can do for you. ask what you can do for your cult-leader.

Edited by T-Bone
were there 2 or 4 editors crucified over this post? when it comes to friends I have no words. fear is typos on the editorial page of your life.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:19 PM, Jim said:

Firstly, when did he renounce the trinity?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but VPW was ordained as an Evangelical and Reformed minister.  Since part of their dogma is the belief in the Augsburg Confessions, I would suspect that he believed in the trinity back then.

Secondly, did VPW ever mention the evangelist William M. Branham?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_M._Branham

Branham was an enormously successful evangelist of the same era of VPW and Oral Roberts, and Branham's ministry had many parallels with VPW's, including a divergence from the trinity.  I'd be really interested to know if VPW was influenced by him.

Hey Jim,

The various works by VP indicate a struggle with the Trinity he claimed to not have ever believed it and avoided teaching on the topic.  Then later the JCNG book which imo was a differentiation tactic because people were taking his classes and going back to their churches in the 60s.  

I never heard of Branham looked him up.  A faith healer part of the Pentecostal movement.  Died in a car wreck in 65.  One God Pentecostals or Apostolics are part of that.  Branham followers now labeled a cult.  I doubt VP knew of the guy he had not that much power so wouldn't have been on vps radar.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 2:22 PM, WordWolf said:

Thx for the history links WW.

I did not mean to belittle Branham’s life or movement.  In fact my impression was he was the founder of a denomination One God Apostolics or at least heavily influencing that movement.

I have attended one of their tent meetings in the past…

3 minutes ago, chockfull said:

Thx for the history links WW.

I did not mean to belittle Branham’s life or movement.  In fact my impression was he was the founder of a denomination One God Apostolics or at least heavily influencing that movement.

I have attended one of their tent meetings in the past…

So IMO that movement may have influenced the method or worship manifestations or what they teach in the INT class regarding order in those.

Branham and related groups do the speaking in tongues along with emotional displays, dancing, cartwheels, running up and down the aisles, and bowl haircuts of all oddities.  Oh and the no makeup for ladies and demure flower print dresses.

I mean for real everything of the day and time had some influence.  The spiritual 40 club or whatever funded traveling speakers to come in and steal their research, practical approach, etc.  Never for a dual ministry or collaborative ministry purpose, but to steal Pillais writings, or Glenn Clark’s camps idea which they are still failing at btw.