GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI memories: good, bad and indifferent

T-Bone

Thought I‘d post a picture of some memorabilia we found in a trunk today. From ’84 & ’86: hats, bumper sticker and tickets...yall feel free to add to this thread.

Rock of Ages 84 + 86 caps bumper sticker and tickets_compressed.jpg

9 hours ago, Twinky said:

What was the music challenge?  Sounds like a sort of Open Mic stage.

As I heard it (second-hand), all the regions sent a musician or group to do a song, with varying levels of success.  An album was made of the finalists (i.e., one from each region.)  IIRC, Breakthrough's "A Thought Away"  was there.   I forget who did "Standing in the Gap", but I liked the song.  ("Standing in the gap, between the need and The Father, making up a hedge and turning loose His Might Power...")    I heard the winner was S@ndy Hu$$0n, who did "Heart of a Champion" (which was a really nice song, IMO.)  ("I'll never allow what I'm feeling, to keep me from being what God's called me to be.  My emotions may come, and they may go, but God's Truth is for Eternity.")    

I mainly knew it from the album and second-hand stories about it.

11 hours ago, Twinky said:

What was the music challenge?  Sounds like a sort of Open Mic stage.

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

As I heard it (second-hand), all the regions sent a musician or group to do a song, with varying levels of success.  An album was made of the finalists (i.e., one from each region.)  IIRC, Breakthrough's "A Thought Away"  was there.   I forget who did "Standing in the Gap", but I liked the song.  ("Standing in the gap, between the need and The Father, making up a hedge and turning loose His Might Power...")    I heard the winner was S@ndy Hu$$0n, who did "Heart of a Champion" (which was a really nice song, IMO.)  ("I'll never allow what I'm feeling, to keep me from being what God's called me to be.  My emotions may come, and they may go, but God's Truth is for Eternity.")    

I mainly knew it from the album and second-hand stories about it.

Hi Twinky, I’ll have to defer to WordWolf on this one – who may know more about this stuff than I can remember (darn those termites of age and time). I was in one of the two bands from the Family Corps campus that played in the music challenge… Can’t remember if TWI had several music challenges – like 1 per year or something...but hey I've got the commemorative hat  :dance: …but thanks Mr Wolf for your input…that’s part of the reason why I started this thread – it’s open to anyone who wants to share TWI memories: good, bad, or indifferent…some folks’ input might help me fill in the gaps. :rolleyes:

Ah, them wuz the daze when they wuz lots of peeples.

Nothing like that when I was at RoA.  I seem to recall some sort of casual area in a tent where people could play their guitar and sing, very low key.  But I might be mistaken.  Hard to be certain what goes on when (as Corps) one's busy making sure every attendee is catered for.  And "Loo Crew" (cleaning several blocks of toilet trailers) doesn't leave a lot of time for investigating and enjoying what went on.

This picture was taken 10 minutes before the document was put in the shredder…Only the name has been changed to protect the innocent.

I remember some WOWs sent to our area – they all were wearing sweatshirts that said “I operate all nine all the time

I thought of a way to re-purpose that sweatshirt but it only works if you’re a very busy surgeon:   I operate all nine all the time

Advanced Class diploma_Thelonious Hyphen Bone.jpg

Edited by T-Bone
another item from The T & T Trunk of Wonders

Dotty was the "Dean"?

I recall when out Lightbearers, we ran a foundational class and this young male was thrilled to receive his certificate.  Said it was the first certificate for anything that he'd ever received.

Hm.  Had forgotten all about the certs, though I didn't forget his pleasure at getting one.

17 hours ago, Twinky said:

Dotty was the "Dean"?

I recall when out Lightbearers, we ran a foundational class and this young male was thrilled to receive his certificate.  Said it was the first certificate for anything that he'd ever received.

Hm.  Had forgotten all about the certs, though I didn't forget his pleasure at getting one.

I thought "Dotty" was VP's wife Dorothy, not Dorothy Owens.  As in "thank you Dorothy, thank you Rhoda..."

14 minutes ago, waysider said:

Remember how, at big events, flies used to crawl all over the plates of WoW-Burgers? Don't worry,  your believing will keep you safe.:doh:

Oh yeah..."WOW-Burgers good...flies bad"  (said like Kevin from "The Office") ...At the Rock, my son and I armed with flyswatters would growl our war-cry “all flies must die

...usually the nights were cooler - I'd go get 2 cups of coffee and 2 slices of pie for me and Tonto. yum !!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Oh yeah..."WOW-Burgers good...flies bad"  (said like Kevin from "The Office") ...At the Rock, my son and I armed with flyswatters would growl our war-cry “all flies must die

...usually the nights were cooler - I'd go get 2 cups of coffee and 2 slices of pie for me and Tonto. yum !!!!

I learned, at ROA 75, how to kill flies with my bare hands. 

Edited by Rocky

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

I thought "Dotty" was VP's wife Dorothy, not Dorothy Owens.

True, Rocky.  My bad.

6 hours ago, Rocky said:

And when you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave the Rock, Grasshopper. :biglaugh:

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

:biglaugh:  :biglaugh:  :biglaugh:

Having grown up on a farm.........I think I was about 8 years old when I learned that trick.

In fact, most everything in my corps training that taught "practical management".........I learned on the farm.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2012 at 12:41 PM, skyrider said:

I've got a confession to make....

On my interim year at hq.....I was assigned to oversee the responsibility of stringing chairs in the BRC. Thus, it was my household duty after supper to oversee each corps group with stringing chairs and setting up top-floor BRC before the next meeting. So, for a couple of weeks.... the supply box would come out and the chairs would be strung in perfect rows.

Well......it didn't take long before I saw this nifty short-cut.

Since these chairs had been placed in, basically, the same position for years......we would shut off the overhead lights and use the 'lover lights' only because then, the carpet showed the indentations more clearly. Voila! No more string was needed.

Seriously.....we had straight rows and BRC set-up accomplished in about 12 minutes. The in-rez 8th corps loved me for it.....as we 'outsmarted' the taskmasters and went about our merry way. It was our own little secret.

A secret that, until today.........I don't think I've ever confessed. :biglaugh:

Gosh, I found one of those Red Thread long-sleeve shirts the other day.  Had forgotten I'd got it.  It could be a nice shirt to wear, but I don't like its connotations.  And no doubt it has TWI's name all over it and I wouldn't want to "advertise" them.  Might have to make dusters or some such out of it.

• Upvote 1

I do recall being at RoA whilst being in rez, and people from my country came to that RoA and wanted to see me.  These are people who have come from overseas, paying out not insignificant air fares (and generally paying those from a generally lower income level than in the USA), to come and hang out; and naturally, as most of them were also supporting me as my spiritual partners, wanted to spend a little time with me.  This was not permitted at all by my shift leader - and as we all know, shifts were basically all day, every day.  Some of my people came to find me.  And some I met by sneaking off for just a few minutes.  Wasn't even allowed to spend an hour with them as a group.  Pathetic.

6 hours ago, skyrider said:

Having grown up on a farm.........I think I was about 8 years old when I learned that trick.

In fact, most everything in my corps training that taught "practical management".........I learned on the farm.

This city boy had to wait until age 20 to learn it. But 45 years hence, I still remember. :dance:  :drink: 

7 hours ago, skyrider said:

I've got a confession to make....

On my interim year at hq.....I was assigned to oversee the responsibility of stringing chairs in the BRC. Thus, it was my household duty after supper to oversee each corps group with stringing chairs and setting up top-floor BRC before the next meeting. So, for a couple of weeks.... the supply box would come out and the chairs would be strung in perfect rows.

Well......it didn't take long before I saw this nifty short-cut.

Since these chairs had been placed in, basically, the same position for years......we would shut off the overhead lights and use the 'lover lights' only because then, the carpet showed the indentations more clearly. Voila! No more string was needed.

Seriously.....we had straight rows and BRC set-up accomplished in about 12 minutes. The in-rez 8th corps loved me for it.....as we 'outsmarted' the taskmasters and went about our merry way. It was our own little secret.

A secret that, until today.........I don't think I've ever confessed. :biglaugh: 

Of course you realize this is now going on your permanent record :biglaugh:

Thanks for letting me visit your Twig and share about "the living by the seat of your pants lifestyle" tonight, and I'll just leave this WOW brochure over by the coffee pot.

WOW brochure cover compressed.jpg

WOW brochure success page compressed.jpg

Edited by T-Bone
who is going to revise this post? If not me - who? If not now - when?