GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI memories: good, bad and indifferent

T-Bone

4 hours ago, Inkernet said:

I remember the tenseness but thought it normal as this was my first AC. On a positive note, my branch was full of fun loving, interesting guys. We'd parody some of those outside sourced tapes like the KISS video where Gene Simmons is throwing up blood, or the satanic ritual that culminated with the line, "Kiss... the GOAT!"  :-)

"Kiss... the GOAT" would induce gales of laughter for the reminder of the class.

A guy from Montana named Glenn O. may have been my BC. I think he was 8th corps (might be wrong about that). I just found a photo of my branch. A good looking group of guys ;-) 

Glenn O was, IIRC, 9th corps. I remember him. Hope he's still alive and doing well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rocky said:

Glenn O was, IIRC, 9th corps. I remember him. Hope he's still alive and doing well.

That sounds right, I think you're correct. That means he was getting ready to enter the corps in that fall.

Edited by Inkernet
typo

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, outandabout said:

I still have my two WOW pins.  Have always wanted to make them into dangle earrings.

sounds like a good idea...Tonto and I have several shadow boxes of memorabilia; she has her WOW pin and way corps ID card in hers, I have my WOW pin in mine...those WOW pins have some deep sentimental value to us both since I married my WOW sister - :knuddel:

• Like 1

I think it's kind of cool that you still have all that stuff.  I still have the books, but I think I dumped just about everything else (AC pin and photo, etc.), even a letter from VPW responding to my concerns about "Uncle Harry Day."  (It reminded me of Catholic feast days for "saints.")  I KNOW I got rid of all the tapes.  I wish I still had the "Victors" barbershop group.

Lots of good memories, especially early on.  Fewer and fewer as time went on.  Getting marked and avoided was probably the low point, from an emotional standpoint, but I'm much better off because of it, so -- no worries!

George

I knocked a little pot over this morning.  Thought I'd picked everything up, but later stood on something - a gold-coloured SIT badge,

1 hour ago, Twinky said:

I knocked a little pot over this morning.  Thought I'd picked everything up, but later stood on something - a gold-coloured SIT badge,

(note the British way of spelling "color" in Twinky's post - - I love it !!!!)

26 minutes ago, waysider said:

Why did you stand on it if it said to SIT?:anim-smile:

that's so funny   :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I think it's kind of cool that you still have all that stuff.  I still have the books, but I think I dumped just about everything else (AC pin and photo, etc.), even a letter from VPW responding to my concerns about "Uncle Harry Day."  (It reminded me of Catholic feast days for "saints.")  I KNOW I got rid of all the tapes.  I wish I still had the "Victors" barbershop group.

Lots of good memories, especially early on.  Fewer and fewer as time went on.  Getting marked and avoided was probably the low point, from an emotional standpoint, but I'm much better off because of it, so -- no worries!

George

I still have my books - someday if I'm feeling brave and energetic I'll dig into a file box of my way corps stuff in the attic - corpse night teachings, journals, research paper, a copy of my from birth to way corps paper...Don't think I'll ever get rid of that stuff for a lot of complex reasons...I still have a bunch of teaching tapes and way music tapes...teaching tapes I'm not really concerned with - but someday I might transfer way music cassette tapes to a CD or MP3 format....some good stuff there.

12 hours ago, T-Bone said:

(note the British way of spelling "color" in Twinky's post - - I love it !!!!)

That's me, T-Bone!  I could spell words the American way, but then, it wouldn't really be me, would it?  You Yanks really need to learn to spell correctly (hehe).

:offtopic:

Actually there are some US spellings that (now) seem better to me.  In the UK, we tend to use the verb endings "-ise"" where US might write "-ize" (formalise/ formalize) but now knowing a bit about how many Greek words were formulated with a transliterated Z (zed/zee) at the end, I'm less against the "ize" ending.  However, there are other words that have distinct differences: Practice - in UK is a noun but in US is a verb; practise is the UK verb, US noun.  So you might at times think my spelling is poor, but it's not; whereas I might think the same of you and then have to re-think because this is a US platform with US spellings.  (Nonetheless, there are some people who post here whose spelling and grammar really are appalling.)

13 hours ago, waysider said:

Why did you stand on it if it said to SIT?:anim-smile:

Very funny, Waysider.  Who knows, I might have some more of these badges somewhere.  And the WOW pin.  (I couldn't say where!)

As to the books, I kept very few Way pubs, burned some, burned most SNS and Corps notes.  I do have some of the other books that were recommended or required that are non-Way pubs.

I could be a serious study-hound and am very, very good at that. 

However, really, I consider that what matters is what the outworking is in someone's life (and in mine, in particular).  Is a person kind, gentle, patient, giving, compassionate?  Rather than working on the books and printed study material, I'd rather work on that in my own life.  Might be thinking through what I know, and might involve the studying of the lives of those around me, to see how they "live the Word," and learn from their amazing generosity, kindness and compassion.  I am very blessed with a really well-instructed, awesome, giving, service-oriented church, which despite these socially-distanced times seems to have pulled together and is closer-knit than ever before.  Not just the "leaders" but practically everybody is looking out for a significant number of people in our community (not just the church community).

When I was in grad school, a collaborator from England came to work in our lab for a few days.  Wasn't it John Cleese who said that America and England were two countries separated by a common language?  He'd ask me, "'Ave ya a gum bung?"  After some thought, I realized he needed a rubber stopper.  "'Ave ya a retort 'older?"  Ah!  A ring stand!  And let's not forget the pronunciations:  Instead of "I put some trimethylaluminum in a CAPillary tube," it was tri MEEthilealuMINium in a caPILLary.  Of course, this worked the other way, as well.  I made a business trip to England and decided to to use the hotel exercise room.  I couldn't get the locker to open, when a local said that I needed to "give it a poundin'."  Well, banging it didn't work, and I finally found out he told me to "Give it a pound (coin) in."  (Put a pound coin in the slot.)  :rolleyes::biglaugh:

George

• Like 2

America and England were two countries separated by a common language

Had some fun with this one in the Corps.  Both ways.  Once, some Corps bros came to me and said, "What's a wanker?" or some such.  Some question involving the verb form of that, too long ago now.  Two of my commonwealth Corps bros had been teaching them some interestingly different words, and they'd said that this meant … whatever.  My Corps bros were a bit unsure, these two lads being pranksters.  The shocked look on my face confirmed the Corps bros' worst fears.  I believe "wank" is what one does in the states to tighten a bolt with a spanner.  In UK and Commonwealth English it is a thing men do with their private parts.  And a "wanker" is a useless, idle, good for nothing person - it's a very big insult.  It is not a mechanic tightening bolts (though in his spare time, he could be a wanker as well).  

I'm wondering if this post will successfully get through the lewd language filters here and elsewhere.

America and England were two countries separated by a common language

On the flip side of above post, Americans might talk about "shifting their fannies" (moving fast, moving their bottoms, buttocks).  A "fanny" is a slightly lower part of the female anatomy in Commonwealth English, the part that may be called "c*nt," with about the same level of obsceneness.

I had some trouble with my What to Bring list when I went in rez.  There's this big long list of items that are required.  Some I knew by different names.  I never quite worked out what "galoshes" are.  I think this is another word that has a different meaning; it's a different type of footwear outside the USA.

I think that perhaps "wellies" was meant by this.  Anyway - as I couldn't find any, I never got any, and never missed having them.

Funny stuff George & Twinky...I recall installing a security system with a tech from England - he said he wanted to go outside and smoke a fag - meaning have a cigarette. 

Or "go out for a fag" or "have a fag" - yes, cigarette is one meaning, homosexual is another, and there are various other meanings, some of which will be UK specific.  One could also be "fagged" which doesn't mean buggered, well not in the sexual way; it means, be very tired.

Hehe.  Language can be a "false friend" at times.

Happy days at TWI in rez included a few birthday parties, usually on Saturday, since that was the only free-ish day.  A few surprise parties with friends (though now I come to think of it, only in the first year, not the second).  Nothing commercial, but handmade gifts or something rescued from Plurality Palace, handmade cards, tea/coffee and maybe a few biscuits (cookies, to you in the US).

Sneaking into Wierwille Pond one very hot summer night for a quiet swim - access was banned because the noise might disturb Mrs W - but it was soooo hot and the water was sooo inviting.  There.  I've confessed it now.  So shoot me.  :anim-smile:

I had a great heart to serve God and knew I had little clothing and other things when I arrived.  I prayed: "God, I've put everything I have into this.  Now, open the windows of heaven and shower me with all the things I need that I don't have."  After two or three weeks, my roomie said, "Do you really need all this?  Can I have some more space in our shared wardrobe?" and I realised that I was way overstepping my half-wardrobe.  People would just come and leave some item of clothing for me that they thought I'd like or need, never knew who, but it was all stuff I needed.  Then I prayed again: "God, that's enough, you can close the windows on this now, at least as far as the clothing goes," and nobody left more things.  At no time did I mention any of this to anybody, never as far as I can recall did I ask anyone for clothes.

Nice post, Twinky.

Speaking of happy days, you made me recall the in-rez time (our 2nd year in-residence) Tonto and I and two other couples got together in a lounge area by our hall. We were going to play Trivial Pursuit and so we split up into 2 teams – men vs women. We fellas did okay in a few of the categories and I anticipated our team would kill it when we got to the Sports and Leisure – since one of the guys was our not-so-hidden ace in the hole big sports fan – which everyone knew. Well…uhm…never underestimate the boundless determination of women unafraid to take a stab at things with a wild-a$$ guess. The women slaughtered us but it was so funny to witness with each win of theirs – our big sports fan guy would have a meltdown “I don’t believe this…this is unbelieveable…ahhhh they're just killing us!!!” Watching his reaction was the most entertaining part of the game - and something Tonto and I still laugh about to this day.

Edited by T-Bone
typos & formatting

As screwed up as it was, I do have great memories, especially in residence, and got to meet so many amazing people. I just wish more of them had found their freedom.  I also wished I had gotten to know people more and not been so serious most of the time!  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, penguin2 said:

As screwed up as it was, I do have great memories, especially in residence, and got to meet so many amazing people. I just wish more of them had found their freedom. 

I also wished I had gotten to know people more and not been so serious most of the time!  

yup - I feel the same way - a lot of missed opportunities 

• 3 months later...

Here's a picture from my Advanced Class in 1978 - I titled it Fat Man and Little Boy.

Fat Man and Little Boy were the code names for the atomic bombs that caused widespread destruction in Japan during World War II

Wikipedia Fat Man

Wikipedia - Little Boy

Fat Man and Little Boy.jpg

Edited by T-Bone
typos & formatting

On 4/17/2020 at 6:45 PM, Rocky said:

Practical experience with direct supervision?

If that doesn't shout CULT, nothing does. Also, it's very creepy.

Aka the blind leading the blind.

Rocky, I remember that picture very well.  I went WOW, in 1978 in Illinois. What a horrible year!  We were under a lot of pressure to run classes.  I remember having very little money, and not having enough to eat.  I think we helped to run three, or four classes during the year.  I stayed for the entire year, but it was very difficult for me to do so.  Toward the end of the year, I told my Branch Leader, I was going back home to attend college.  Boy, was he upset with me!!  When, my year ended, I went back, and attended college.  I have never felt the need to go back to Illinois.  In some ways my WOW was successful, because I stayed the entire year, and did sign up people for the class.  However, I look back on it, and know I would never do it again.  In so many ways, I feel like I wasted a year of my life going out WOW.