GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI memories: good, bad and indifferent

T-Bone

The museum idea came to me because of events last year around the country regarding removal of confederate monuments, which became a controversial issue.  During a zoom meetup with historians facilitated by the Arizona Historical Society, some of them opposed removal. Others recommended the artifacts be preserved in museums dedicated to putting them in historical context so people now and in the future would better understand the changing times in our country.

I'm all for preserving them, despite twi's practice of burning books and other objects they consider dangerous. Putting twi (and other cult) symbols and artifacts in perspective for young people now and for future generations appeals to me.

Perhaps Penworks has thought of this before, considering her involvement with the International Cultic Studies Association.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

The museum idea came to me because of events last year around the country regarding removal of confederate monuments, which became a controversial issue.  During a zoom meetup with historians facilitated by the Arizona Historical Society, some of them opposed removal. Others recommended the artifacts be preserved in museums dedicated to putting them in historical context so people now and in the future would better understand the changing times in our country.

I'm all for preserving them, despite twi's practice of burning books and other objects they consider dangerous. Putting twi (and other cult) symbols and artifacts in perspective for young people now and for future generations appeals to me.

Perhaps Penworks has thought of this before, considering her involvement with the International Cultic Studies Association.

Great post, Rocky - I'm with you on "the artifacts be preserved in museums dedicated to putting them in historical context so people now and in the future would better understand the changing times in our country...Putting twi (and other cult) symbols and artifacts in perspective for young people now and for future generations "

13 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Great post, Rocky - I'm with you on "the artifacts be preserved in museums dedicated to putting them in historical context so people now and in the future would better understand the changing times in our country...Putting twi (and other cult) symbols and artifacts in perspective for young people now and for future generations "

T-Bone, yes! I agree with you, and Rocky. Future generations, need to know about cults, like TWI, so they don't get trapped in them. I wish I had known years ago, that the TWI was a cult. If I had known, I would never have gotten involved with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

T-Bone, yes! I agree with you, and Rocky. Future generations, need to know about cults, like TWI, so they don't get trapped in them. I wish I had known years ago, that the TWI was a cult. If I had known, I would never have gotten involved with it.

I like to think I wouldn't have gotten involved, either. Truth is, though, it was 50 years ago. I'm not the same person now that I was then. Don't beat yourself up over decisions you made so long ago.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, waysider said:

I like to think I wouldn't have gotten involved, either. Truth is, though, it was 50 years ago. I'm not the same person now that I was then. Don't beat yourself up over decisions you made so long ago.

Way, I do wonder why I got involved. I think, if my childhood, had been happy, I never would have gotten involved. I think it was probably, the 'Love Bombing' that drew me in, and kept me in. I had never felt so loved, as I did in my first Twig. Never again, would I feel that loved. 

4 hours ago, waysider said:

I like to think I wouldn't have gotten involved, either. Truth is, though, it was 50 years ago.

I'm not the same person now that I was then.

Don't beat yourself up over decisions you made so long ago.

This post is golden, Waysider !!!!!!!

I'm not the same person now that I was then.” Wow! There’s something to that  – and I don’t think about that as often as I should…A while back I reconnected with an old friend (by phone and email – since we live several states apart now) someone who was a good friend of mine from high school. We went on to separate colleges but still hung out together. It was about two and a half years into college that I got involved with TWI – and when I started witnessing to…and inadvertently scaring off…and sometimes even writing off my non-way friends.

Long story short – we did a lot of reminiscing and he got me caught up on our old circle of friends that he still stays in touch with – and of course we filled each other in on our career paths and what our kids are doing now. In one sense it was like he and I were talking about two other funny, crazy, adventurous teenagers we both knew a long time ago.

One of the things I realized was that we are not static beings. We constantly go through experiences in life…we fail…succeed…adapt…explore…go through changes…we grow. Your statement intrigued me so much I did an internet search by asking “does your authentic self ever change?” and found a 2019 Psychology Today article that touched on that (actually the whole article is interesting – you’ll find the link after this excerpt):

“Recognize that developing authenticity takes time. Examining our true self is a process—perhaps a life-long process—because we are ever-evolving human beings. It takes quite a while to winnow out beliefs and behaviors that no longer serve you and replace them with more authentic actions. But with some effort, you'll soon find more genuine alignment with your true self.”

from Psychology Today – 20 ways to be a more authentic person

== == == 

Your other bit of advice is also pure gold: “Don't beat yourself up over decisions you made so long ago.

A professional counselor once said basically the same thing to me…so my only question is how much do you charge? :rolleyes:

Edited by T-Bone
formatting and typos
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Grace – I know what you mean – I have thought the same thing myself many times…but the thing is, we are not all-knowing beings – so we are bound to make lots of mistakes. Actress Helen Mirren said something I thought was profound after winning an award (she’s won a lot of awards : Academy, BAFTA, Golden Globe, Emmy, Tony – so I don’t recall the occasion - but anyway she said) “If it were all truly known and planned and determined, life wouldn’t be worth living, just a giant to-do list waiting to be crossed off…”

Something I wrote on another thread(   see here  )  got into “counterfactual thinking”     which is basically how we learn from our mistakes (there’s also some links in that post of mine you might enjoy reading)…This goes hand in hand with what Helen Mirren said…

so imagine if you were like an omniscient God. Nothing would take you by surprise. You are fully aware of the past, present and future. But also imagine that is you’re only superpower. You are not all powerful – you cannot perform miracles. You are not sovereign – you have no legions of angels at your command – you do not rule over anything – you cannot even control the weather - but you would be the perfect weather forecaster :rolleyes:  …and honestly you have no need for God because you are like your own God…Sound like fun? How exciting or how adventurous of a life would that be?

If I were in omniscient shoes I’d probably want to help others – mostly telling them stuff like “I wouldn’t do that if I were you”…And if word got out about me being mister-know-it-all just imagine the long lines of people waiting to have an audience with me so I can advise them on what job to take, where to live, who to marry, what diseases, accidents, tragedies, and deaths to prepare for, etc…I could make lots of money in the stock market and always win big in Vegas.

Since I'm not invulnerable I’d have to check my future calendar to make sure I’m never anywhere in the wrong place at the wrong time…oh  and once again check my future calendar for who I’m supposed to help advise today - so big deal I'm omniscient - doesn't mean I'm not easily distracted.

…hmmmm my future calendar is sort of like a giant to-do list to be crossed off as I accomplish each item…yikes – Helen Mirren was right!!!! Now how did she know all that?  :biglaugh:

Edited by T-Bone
formatting and typos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

One of the things I realized was that we are not static beings. We constantly go through experiences in life…we fail…succeed…adapt…explore…go through changes…we grow. Your statement intrigued me so much I did an internet search by asking “does your authentic self ever change?

Not only so, but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

In Romans 5:3-4, as I understand it now, Paul articulates that process of developing our authentic self.

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Recognize that developing authenticity takes time. Examining our true self is a process—perhaps a life-long process—because we are ever-evolving human beings. It takes quite a while to winnow out beliefs and behaviors that no longer serve you and replace them with more authentic actions. But with some effort, you'll soon find more genuine alignment with your true self.”

from Psychology Today – 20 ways to be a more authentic person

What a wonderful article. Thanks T-Bone. :love3:

3 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Not only so, but we[c] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

In Romans 5:3-4, as I understand it now, Paul (very briefly) articulates that process of developing our authentic self.

• 2 months later...

One of the most challenging times in residence was doing the research paper - part of my fear was knowing  I was a very poor typist; so I started practicing believing images of victory 

I wonder if that "translates" for today's generation, with laptops and Word programs that are silent and sort out the spelling and grammar for you too?

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2021 at 3:39 PM, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Way, I do wonder why I got involved. I think, if my childhood, had been happy, I never would have gotten involved. I think it was probably, the 'Love Bombing' that drew me in, and kept me in. I had never felt so loved, as I did in my first Twig. Never again, would I feel that loved. 

That love bombing did it for me as well, almost 50 years ago. There were follow up good moments, but each one drew me deeper in. The whole key to the love bombing is that it drew me in...it HAD to be the perfect thing if it was so good. So I refused to believe any of the bad things I heard about or even experienced. And because of my resentment from being kidnaooed and deprogrammed out, that non belief continued for 38 years after my exit, until 2017 when a surprising survivor friend helped me recall my own sexual assault in the Way Corps, and to therefore believe all the bad stuff...though I must say that it really started with fellow 8th corps Kristen Skedgell's book. And it all started with that love bombing.

• 2 weeks later...

:offtopic: Quote function doesn't seem to work properly, Rocky. For whatever reason, it doesn't "end" and seems to tuck the poster's fresh words into the quote box itself.

When driving to the Rock of Ages, pace yourself.

Break bread by the side of the road.

Don’t worry – there’ll be a WOW Burger with your name on it when you get here.

If not – eat someone else’s WOW Burger.

AA18baYj.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

:offtopic: Oh wow.  Look at that.  Average house price slightly less than twice the average income.  Dnno how that average income was estimated, but nowadays you might more be looking at not x2 but x20.

5 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Just think - around the time the PFAL class was made, gasoline was 34 cents per gallon.

AA18b3cQ.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

Yeah.... so even by 1976, if the prices were doubled it wasn't that bad.

Then, when twi-followers went WOW or lived in Way Homes.... the rent was split 4 ways (as an example).  So, even if monthly rent doubled to $260, split 4 ways = $65 a piece.  A guy could spend a lot more time witnessing when a group of youngsters ponied up their share of expenses.

We could easily take those hourly-wage jobs at coffee shops, fast-food restaurants, retail stores, etc. because we were sharing the cost of expenses.  By golly, you could easily work a 4-6 hour day since you came home to an apartment with no television, no cable fees, no internet services, no cell phone bill, no car payment (most WOWs didn't own a car).  Walking was cheap transportation.  And, witnessing was cheap "entertainment."

Those were the days, my friend.... we thought they'd never end.....

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, T-Bone said:

When driving to the Rock of Ages, pace yourself.

Break bread by the side of the road.

Don’t worry – there’ll be a WOW Burger with your name on it when you get here.

If not – eat someone else’s WOW Burger.

AA18baYj.img?w=800&h=415&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

Be sure to park near a road side latrine. The unavoidable swarm of flies will give it a nice touch of authenticity.

Of course, if you have the believing to afford it, you could always fly to the Rock.

Remember to keep an eye out for Ambassador One ( wierwille always did :wink2: )   because  mid-air collisions wouldn’t go over too well at the Rock. Literally and metaphorically.

OIP.0fD4pVWdiXC5fILuffiUtwHaFq?pid=ImgDe

Edited by T-Bone
another edit in bad taste...so sorry