GreaseSpot Cafe

May the Fourth be with you

T-Bone

A few weeks ago I caught  Empire of Dreams: The Story of the ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy (2004)     on our Fire Stick. It’s a very interesting documentary on the making of the first three (actually episodes IV, V, and VI); What struck me the most (besides the wonderful imagination and talent for storytelling that George Lucas has) was the incredible determination he had to get the movie made his way.

My favorites are those first three – I’m not as crazy about episodes I, II, and III – and I put the newer episodes VII, VIII, IX, and standalone stories of Rogue One and Solo up there on the same plane of satisfaction that I get out of episodes IV, V, and VI. Overall, I like the theme of redemption – which the definition says is the action of saving or being saved from sin, error, or evil - but it can also mean  the action of regaining or gaining possession of something in exchange for payment, or clearing a debt…I can see that in the story of Rogue One ( which some reviewers have rightly said is like an old WWII raid movie ) the rebels on a mission to steal the plans for the Death Star.

I wasn’t going to post anything about “May the Fourth be with You” until something unexpected happened today. I noticed an adult blue jay feeding a young one outside our front window. The big blue jay going from the feeder hanging on a tree limb over to the little blue jay perched on the brick sill right outside our window. I watched this in fascination for some 40 minutes. Later today not seeing any more activity I thought I better refill the feeders – they’re getting low and we have several around our yard. As I passed by the front porch (next to the front window) to get to a feeder on the side of our home – I saw the little blue jay perched on a small stand for our battery powered candle…My “first thought” was that he looked just like one of those porgs - the little bird-like creatures that live on Luke Skywalker's island.     I took it as a sign   I should do something  about "the Fourth"  :biglaugh:    . ...below is a quick picture I got of the little bird...oh and happy Star Wars day !

Baby Blue by porch candle.jpg

Edited by T-Bone
Revision Wars: Episode One A "New" Post
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

A few weeks ago I caught  Empire of Dreams: The Story of the ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy (2004)     on our Fire Stick. It’s a very interesting documentary on the making of the first three (actually episodes IV, V, and VI); What struck me the most (besides the wonderful imagination and talent for storytelling that George Lucas has) was the incredible determination he had to get the movie made his way.

My favorites are those first three – I’m not as crazy about episodes I, II, and III – and I put the newer episodes VII, VIII, IX, and standalone stories of Rogue One and Solo up there on the same plane of satisfaction that I get out of episodes IV, V, and VI. Overall, I like the theme of redemption – which the definition says is the action of saving or being saved from sin, error, or evil - but it can also mean  the action of regaining or gaining possession of something in exchange for payment, or clearing a debt…I can see that in the story of Rogue One ( which some reviewers have rightly said is like an old WWII raid movie ) the rebels on a mission to steal the plans for the Death Star.

I wasn’t going to post anything about “May the Fourth be with You” until something unexpected happened today. I noticed an adult blue jay feeding a young one outside our front window. The big blue jay going from the feeder hanging on a tree limb over to the little blue jay perched on the brick sill right outside our window. I watched this in fascination for some 40 minutes. Later today not seeing any more activity I thought I better refill the feeders – they’re getting low and we have several around our yard. As I passed by the front porch (next to the front window) to get to a feeder on the side of our home – I saw the little blue jay perched on a small stand for our battery powered candle…My “first thought” was that he looked just like one of those porgs - the little bird-like creatures that live on Luke Skywalker's island.     I took it as a sign   I should do something  about "the Fourth"  :biglaugh:    . ...below is a quick picture I got of the little bird...oh and happy Star Wars day !

Baby Blue by porch candle.jpg

Very cool pic. Thanks T-Bone.

In the late 1970's I recall watching the first ever Star Wars film in the U.K. city of Birmingham.  There was a very long queue outside the former Gaumont cinema and it was as they say standing standing room only.  I recall thinking that is was an excellent film, but never in my wildest dreams could I ever have imagined that it would grow into what it is today.  Everything about the film was different, certainly not like your regular science fiction film.

Recently I was at Summer fete and I saw a stall selling second-hand items, and my eyes homed in on a Star Wars Return of the Jedi chess set.  I bought it for one UK pound.  When I got back home I was amazed to find that it was unopened and the pieces were in  new and perfect condition.  We checked it's value and was astonished as to how much it was worth.  Our son came in and saw what we had bought and as he is both an extremely good chess player and avid Star Wars fan his eyes lit up.  Yes you've guessed it , he ended up having the chess set.

People will still be watching Star Wars films in a hundred years time, and as we have seen before yesterday's science fiction has become today's science fact, and today's science fiction  may  become tomorrow's science fact.