GreaseSpot Cafe

Framed (Name That Flick from one Pic)

Raf

The Nitpickers Guides were fun.  Personally, I liked "alternate explanations"- which is how some labeled "mistake" may not have been.  I like to see if I can "fix" a problem so that the story we saw was "correct" because there's no actual internal error.    (Example:  We'd heard that the Borg had no names.  Yet "Locutus" had one.  I said "it's not his name TO the Borg, it's his name TO humans because he was borged specifically to be a spokesborg to the Federation and Earth."   And so on.   Other example-  Riker was given a field promotion to Captain of the Enterprise-D at the beginning of "Best of Both Worlds 2".   yet, afterwards,  when Picard returned to duty, Riker was a Commander again.   Since Riker had been offered 3 commands already, most recently the same Melbourne that was destroyed at Wolf 359,  he was considered qualified for the promotion.   Raf's explanation-  that Admiral died at Wolf 359 but never put through Riker's promotion formally, possibly due to everything else keeping him busy at the time.)  

I'm confident that those Guides improved DS9.  A lot of continuity gaffes could have been fixed with a line or 3 of dialogue.  After the DS9  Guide came out, later seasons included such dialogue.    Example:  Before the Guide was the "Sword of Kahless" episode.  Worf was able to just get up and leave the station with no comments- his job must really be make-work!

After the Guide (and that comment),  we saw another episode where Worf  went away again.  We had a moment where the senior staff sat around a table at Quark's,  venting about all the extra work they had to make up for Worf's absence.  (Miles had to hand-inspect all the hand-phasers, Julian had to wade through ALL reports to find the few that affected the station...)

I'm certain those improvements came from knowing the fans were paying attention.  In fact, I saw 2 moments where there were opportunities for gaffes, and the production team put in the work to prevent it.

Example 1:  Odo gained back his ability to shape-shift.  As he was regaining it, I began watching closely.  he transformed into a bird and flew up- leaving behind the cloth uniform Garak had made for him.   It wasn't the focus of the scene, but it was clearly visible for those of us looking specifically for it. 

Example 2:  Sisko rushes the Defiant (NX)  to Cardassia Prime and said to ready the cloaking device.  I watched Julian, who looked like he had something to say- and hoped it was a comment about their agreement with the Romulans about not using the device in the Alpha Quadrant.   That IS what Julian said, Sisko agreed, but added he intended to survive this mission.  "Well, I won't tell the Romulans if you won't."   That's all that had to be said on the subject.   And I was satisfied. 

6 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I've never actually seen "Casablanca," but I'm pretty sure that Sam is getting ready to "Play it."

(IIRC, the phrase, "Play it again, Sam" never actually occurs in the movie.)

George

Yep- Sam Dooley and Rick Blaine (Bogart),  together as Sam played the piano and sang.   The closest we got was HER saying, "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.' "  Rick replied, "If she can stand it, so can I. Play it."  

3 hours ago, Raf said:

Are you guys enjoying this? I have a billion if anyone gets stuck

I'm enjoying it enough to keep playing.  So long as nobody minds I'm getting the still-frames from Imdb or elsewhere rather than capturing them myself, I'm good to keep playing.

I'll go.  OK, I have a picture saved after snipping it but how do I get it to appear here?  I tried copy/paste but that took the snapshot of the whole IMDB page.

image.png

snippet.PNG

Edited by Human without the bean
Not sure what is going on here.

15 minutes ago, Human without the bean said:

Can anyone help me out with this?  I have a flip-phone and know nothing about this process.  Damn it sure is good to stay logged-in!

I can tell you the process if you're using FireFox.  I imagine the steps might be the same.

Here's what I do.

I go to IMdb, look up the movie, and call up its photo gallery.     I click into one photo.  That brings up one photo on my screen, and I can page through the rest of the gallery.

On the image itself, I right-click.  That calls up the options menu.  Among those are "View Image"  and "Save Image as..."   

Clicking on "save image as" give me the choice of where to save it, and the option to rename it. 

Clicking on "view image"  gives me the image at full size.  On imdb, that's usually a lot bigger than it looked before.  THEN I right-click to "save image as".

Once you have the image saved, you can edit it, rename it, or use it as-is and just post it here.  You already figured out how to attach the image to a post.

And use your photo editor to crop out titles, the rest of your viewscreen, etc.  

An alternative, if this software is loaded on your device is to use Snipping Tool.  You can copy only the part of the image you want.  Then go to Edit, Copy.  Then paste the picture here.

Many roads lead to Chicago...  :jump:

George

10 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I can tell you the process if you're using FireFox.  I imagine the steps might be the same.

Here's what I do.

I go to IMdb, look up the movie, and call up its photo gallery.     I click into one photo.  That brings up one photo on my screen, and I can page through the rest of the gallery.

On the image itself, I right-click.  That calls up the options menu.  Among those are "View Image"  and "Save Image as..."   

Clicking on "save image as" give me the choice of where to save it, and the option to rename it. 

Clicking on "view image"  gives me the image at full size.  On imdb, that's usually a lot bigger than it looked before.  THEN I right-click to "save image as".

Once you have the image saved, you can edit it, rename it, or use it as-is and just post it here.  You already figured out how to attach the image to a post.

BTW, if this works for you exactly as I said, and you get the image, you will have just that and not a screen-shot.  That way, you won't need to trim out anything that wasn't in the imdb image- no "rest-of-your-screen"  stuff (no titles, no desktop...)    If you get the image from another site, always check the image's title- otherwise, if you post it, we'll be able to access its title.  That's fine if the title is "1234dft42dsdgw34qwdads"  or something like that.  If the title is "batmanholdingabomb", then it gives away the movie.  Imdb tends to give them alphanumeric sequences that don't spell out anything.    

If you do it the way that Raf and George mentioned, you'll get your whole screen, and need to use a program to trim the image- as both mentioned.   My way, you generally won't need one unless you're very picky about what the image file contained that you got from imdb.

Page after page of nothing but that sentence, formatted all sorts of ways, all typed out by hand.   It was one of the many creepy things about "THE SHINING."   Jack Torrance typed all of that. 

There was real typing, too.  Kubrick used the actual typing sound for that sentence, as Jack (Nicholson)  typed over and over on the set.  In other languages, Kubrick used a recording of the saying they used from that language. (Foreign versions didn't all use this phrase- they used a phrase well-known to them.)

After hearing the sound of a typewriter through so much of the movie, to realize he has been typing the same sentence over and over and over again was more than just creepy. It was scary AF. It's also the moment Shelley Duvall realizes how much danger she is in.