GreaseSpot Cafe

Framed (Name That Flick from one Pic)

Raf

12 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Let's see.  Wide variety of actors.  Cars.

Cannonball Run?

George

That's it.  Roger Moore played Seymour Goldfarb Jr, who was obsessed with Roger Moore and claimed he was him, complete with having his own spy-car made, with changing license plates, smokescreens and oil slicks, etc.  It was also Jackie Chan's first US release.  He was on the Japanese team.  In his first scene, he and the interviewer don't seem to understand each other.  Of course, the interviewer was speaking Japanese, and Chan was from Hong Kong and spoke Chinese.    Supposedly, he was unhappy about his role claiming he was Japanese, but the role wasn't very clear if he was a Chinese driver of a Japanese car, or actually Japanese.  He actually spoke Chinese all through the movie, and his relief driver spoke Chinese as well. That's why they were able to have conversations and an argument.  Although once, the audio had them say "Sayonara, bye-bye!" so the US audience probably was supposed to think they were Japanese. The other drivers thought so, but then their car switched from a Mitsubishi to a Subaru 1/2 way through the movie.

In legends, the Gargareans were the male counterparts to the Amazons. 

This is, apparently (I wasn't 100% sure but I was fairly confident)  a moment from "WONDER WOMAN",  where WW and some soldiers fight together in World War II.  Since Wonder Woman was an Amazon, I made an obscure joke.  George either got it immediately, or looked it up then commented.

Early in the Wonder Woman movie, Steve Trevor sees the Amazons perform a maneuver on invading Nazis, where one yells, "Shield!" and another jumps on the shield of the first as a springboard.  In this, later, scene, Trevor sees that Wonder Woman needs a way to get up to a sniper's position.  He tells two of his comrades to hoist up a piece of fallen roof with him, and yells, "Diana!  Shield!"  She gets the point and springs off the roof piece to take out the sniper.  The part I trimmed has Wonder Woman on the far right of the scene.

WW (Word Wolf, not Wonder Woman) is up.

6 hours ago, WordWolf said:

In legends, the Gargareans were the male counterparts to the Amazons. 

This is, apparently (I wasn't 100% sure but I was fairly confident)  a moment from "WONDER WOMAN",  where WW and some soldiers fight together in World War II.  Since Wonder Woman was an Amazon, I made an obscure joke.  George either got it immediately, or looked it up then commented.

I looked it up.  In DC comics, they're actually referred to as Olympians.  Also, in the legends, the Gargareans would occasionally mate with the Amazons to keep both groups from dying out.  That was why I said, "In their dreams."  :dance:

George

14 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I think this was early in Blazing Saddles.  Mel Brooks (the Indian) sees Cleavon Little's family and says, "Schwartzes."

George

The movie is correct.

The moment wasn't that early, it was close to the middle, after the Sheriff got a Deputy. and both asked how they got there.      Bart's family was "in"  (behind)  a wagon train when "the entire Sioux nation" raided them.  The Injuns that showed up were lead by "Chief" Mel Brooks, and they all spoke Yiddish.   When they arrive, the Chief says the following

"Schwartzes!"  (Black people.)

One brave prepares to strike one of them.  The Chief stops him.  "(Don't be meshuggah.)"  

The Chief makes an invocation,  then says "Cop a walk." The family thanked him as they left.

Chief: "(Have you ever in your life?)  They darker than us!"

https://www.jta.org/2020/04/08/culture/blazing-saddles-still-stands-as-one-of-the-great-comedies-and-the-mel-brooks-film-teaches-lessons-too

" The Native Americans are about to kill Bart’s family when the chief mutters, “No, no. Zeit nishte meshuggah,” Yiddish for “Don’t be crazy.” Then he raises his arm to the skies and exclaims, “Loze im gaym!” or “Let them go!” There’s more Yiddish, too."

=======================================================

Some people were trying to analyze why Injuns would speak Yiddish.  They were speculating about history.  Duh- it was funny because it made no sense, it was silly!   Also, Mel Brooks was able to write the lines because he knew the language.  It was silly, it worked and it was easy to write.   

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Some people were trying to analyze why Injuns would speak Yiddish.  They were speculating about history.  Duh- it was funny because it made no sense, it was silly!   Also, Mel Brooks was able to write the lines because he knew the language.  It was silly, it worked and it was easy to write.   

There's that, but there's also Mormon lore telling that Indians were descendants or Israelites who came to America, I think during the Babylonian occupation.  (It's been a LONG time since I read the Book of Mormon.)

George

As a final word on the subject, another attempt at translating that scene.

https://boards.straightdope.com/t/favorite-blazing-saddles-scene-line/592851/110

============================================

"Roughly, "Schwartzes!* Nah, nah, zeit nicht meshuggeh.** (some Yiddische name I don’t recognize) Cop a walk. S’alright. Auf wiedersehen. Take off.

Hast du gesehen in seiner leben?*** They darker than us!"

• Black people
      ** - “No, no, don’t be crazy.”
      *** - “Have you ever seen in your life?”"
    • ==================================================

"I don’t remember the first bit about “zeit nicht meshuggeh” – I thought it was “sei nicht meshuggah” – as in “be not crazy.” "

And “sei nicht meshuggeh” might be closer.""

9 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Correct

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

IIRC, the moment where the Black Knight was trying to attack while missing both arms and one leg, the costume was worn by a one-legged man. 

Hadn't gotten that far yet, but makes sense.  It would have cost a lot to blue-screen it back then.

George