GreaseSpot Cafe

Framed (Name That Flick from one Pic)

Raf

Is that a colorized version of The Devil's Brother - a reissue of Fra Diavolo outside the USA

to answer your question:

WordWolf: A contrast was drawn between that scene and "Popeye" Doyle in the scene you showed.  So, once again, I got one of a famous scene from a movie I have yet to see.  (Is it really good?  Should I see it?)

yes - I think The French Connection is worth seeing - it got a few academy awards and has one of the most iconic chase scenes...from Roger Ebert's review:

"Director William Friedkin constructed "The French Connection" so surely that it left audiences stunned. And I don't mean that as a reviewer's cliché: It is literally true. In a sense, the whole movie is a chase. It opens with a shot of a French detective keeping the Continental under surveillance, and from then on the smugglers and the law officers are endlessly circling and sniffing each other. It's just that the chase speeds up sometimes, as in the celebrated car-train sequence."

Roger Ebert's review of "The French Connection"

Edited by T-Bone
added bonus feature

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Is that a colorized version of The Devil's Brother - a reissue of Fra Diavolo outside the USA

I'm not going to wait for WW, here, as I googled "The Devil's Brother" and found out that yes, the scene is from that film.  My question: HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW THAT?  (Collateral question: How the hell did WW know that movie?)

I'll admit that I can't name many Laurel and Hardy flicks, unless they were meeting the Wolfman or Frankenstein, or whatever, so maybe this was a well-known (to others) one of their films.

George

33 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm not going to wait for WW, here, as I googled "The Devil's Brother" and found out that yes, the scene is from that film.  My question: HOW THE HELL DID YOU KNOW THAT?  (Collateral question: How the hell did WW know that movie?)

I'll admit that I can't name many Laurel and Hardy flicks, unless they were meeting the Wolfman or Frankenstein, or whatever, so maybe this was a well-known (to others) one of their films.

George

NO, THE SCENE IS NOT FROM "THE DEVIL'S BROTHER."

I know that movie because you just mentioned it.   This is NOT the movie I posted a still from.

How about March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934 movie) also known as Babes in Toyland ( see Babes in Toyland - Wikipedia  )...

I have not seen that movie in a looooooong time - I was probably 5 or 6 years old when I saw it last...going by the costumes in your still shot I was looking in an entirely different direction...when you said my answer was wrong I kept look for other scenes with garb like that - and was able to narrow it down by the character Silas Barnaby  in the middle of Laurel and Hardy of your still shot.

Edited by T-Bone
more info

George, I guess it’s possible but - I got this picture from March of the Wooden Soldiers on IMDB

March of the Wooden Soldiers.jpg

found on this page of photos on

IMDB page 1 - 48 photos of March of the Wooden Soldiers

i know what you mean though - like I said earlier initially I was looking in a different direction and was Googling Laurel and Hardy in medieval costumes and came upon Devil’s Brother and learned about a Robin Hood movie that they were going to make but never did...I even looked at them in a play or vaudeville going on the background- but that led to a recent movie Stan and Ollie.

Edited by T-Bone
more info

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

How about March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934 movie) also known as Babes in Toyland ( see Babes in Toyland - Wikipedia  )...

I have not seen that movie in a looooooong time - I was probably 5 or 6 years old when I saw it last...going by the costumes in your still shot I was looking in an entirely different direction...when you said my answer was wrong I kept look for other scenes with garb like that - and was able to narrow it down by the character Silas Barnaby  in the middle of Laurel and Hardy of your still shot.

THAT is the CORRECT movie,  by 2 of its titles (I would have accepted either, provided the "Babes in Toyland" guess mentioned it was the Laurel and Hardy version.) 

If you live in the NYC area, you have a chance to see that movie around Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, every year since some time in the 60s.     Channel 11 tries to stop from time to time, but there's a local outcry when they try it.

BTW,  T-Bone, it's against the rules to try to guess by looking up images.   You can look up images to POST them, but not to guess.    It's also against the rules to look up what's there in the clues (in this case, doing a search for Laurel and Hardy movies since they were in the photo.)       For the curious, I was planning on a pic of 1 or more Wooden Soldiers as the next image.     

It's your turn.    Feel free to look things up to POST something.

7 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

George

Apparently, he "knew" that by Googling a list of Laurel and Hardy movies.  However, now that he knows we're not supposed to do that, I'm sure we won't see that again.    I'm calling it his turn regardless.

2 hours ago, WordWolf said:

...BTW,  T-Bone, it's against the rules to try to guess by looking up images.   You can look up images to POST them, but not to guess.    It's also against the rules to look up what's there in the clues (in this case, doing a search for Laurel and Hardy movies since they were in the photo.)       For the curious, I was planning on a pic of 1 or more Wooden Soldiers as the next image.     

It's your turn.    Feel free to look things up to POST something.

Yikes ! 3 strikes !!! maybe I need to do some remedial re-reading of this thread - you all are too nice...I'm forfeiting my turn to WordWolf - I'll try to get up to speed on the rules.

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Yikes ! 3 strikes !!! maybe I need to do some remedial re-reading of this thread - you all are too nice...I'm forfeiting my turn to WordWolf - I'll try to get up to speed on the rules.

No, it's your turn. Misunderstandings are inevitable and forgiveable. 

The rules for all the threads are pretty simple.

1) The honor system.  We agree to follow the rules and trust each other.

2) If we're posting something, it is EXPECTED that we look things up to make sure what we post is correct, that our clues are correct, etc.

3) If we're GUESSING,  it is NOT allowed to look anything up.   One thing that's accepted is asking one other person, who is NOT allowed to look anything up.   (I occasionally ask Mrs Wolf if she can figure something out- if she's correct, I give her the credit, but she keeps insisting I should take the turn for her. 

4) If we're GUESSING and we DO look something up, we understand we're out for that round since we looked it up.  (Sometimes curiosity is too much to ignore.)   We generally announce we did so that others aren't wondering why we stopped guessing.

5) Each thread's first post or first page generally explains the rules.  There's a thread for this forum with the general rules also. 

Still your turn, T-Bone!

8 hours ago, T-Bone said:

ok thanks WordWolf - I reviewed the rules on how to play the game threads started by George...so here goes...

-mqZ-iEsn5bmkhtl9CN8-xlgLQdrNlUSg4MqFxKO

Ah, you linked the image (which we can't see because we're not logged in to where it is), but you didn't UPLOAD the image to the GSC.   Capture the image to your PC, then upload it to the post from your PC.

3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ah, you linked the image (which we can't see because we're not logged in to where it is), but you didn't UPLOAD the image to the GSC.   Capture the image to your PC, then upload it to the post from your PC.

well that sure is odd...I was not logged where I found it. I was not logged into Google Chrome when I looked for and found the image - I then right clicked on the image to open the image in a new tab - I then copied the URL address and inserted it into my post...after reading your post from my iPhone I was truly puzzled because it's using Apple's Safari browser - and I'm not even logged into Grease Spot and I still see the picture in my post and also my picture inside your quote of my post...I even turned off the WiFi of my iPhone and now going through AT&T cellular network I can still see my picture in my post and your quote. So I can't seem to duplicate the problem you're having and wonder if anyone else is having a problem seeing the picture in my post...what browser are you using?

The reason I decided to insert the picture by URL link instead of capturing the image on my PC and uploading to Grease Spot is because there seems to be an ever-decreasing maximum amount of data size as I post. Currently the pre-post window says I have a Max total size of 5.32 kB. I took a Snagit (screen capture snapshot) of the picture in my post and saved that on my PC - the picture size is 43.5 KB. when I tried to drag and drop it into this post(to upload it), I got a warning window that it exceeds the 5.32 kB...so I compressed it - and will post that - but I think it's too small to be any help...so get your magnifying glass out.

skedaddle_clue 12 compressed.jpg

what's the deal on the decreasing amount of data you can upload? After I posted this very compressed picture (now at 4.72 kB) and went back in to revise my text it now says I have 612 B max amount of data limit.

***update*** I continued to troubleshoot the issue you talked about so I opened up Internet Explorer on my PC and went to Grease Spot, this thread, my post and sure enough - it did not display the image ***  I don't use Internet Explorer anymore due to some issues I've had with security, formatting and image displays. I prefer Google Chrome...if I figure out the issue why my data upload "allowance" keeps decreasing on Grease Spot, I'll start using Snagit screen capture and upload a decent size picture.***

Edited by T-Bone
revision

I have no idea why you're being reduced to posting postage stamps here. This very post, I have a "max total size" of 1.95MB."  

My GUESS is that it has something to do with either Chrome or IE.   I always post here using Firefox and am not having that problem.   I'm unsure why there IS a problem, but I'm no expert.   (I do know that Internet Explorer was replaced with Internet EDGE, so if it was an IE-only problem, I'd think that was it, since Explorer's not updated.)    If Chrome has a problem, it's surprising.  Are you using an updated version of Chrome?

I use Edge.  I can't see T-Bone's (initial) picture, either.  When I click on the garbled script which appears in its place, I get an error message (403 -- No permission).

I have occasionally had some trouble posting because of file size.  Usually, I open the picture in Paint and then resize.

Is the red truck busting through a wall (I think?) your clue?

George

Other exceptions to the no-googling rule:

If Triple Movie Links has gone three days without a response, you may google the last name to move the game along.  (For other threads, it's better to nudge the clue-giver to add a couple more clues.

"Reverse" googling:  Let's say a TML ends with the movie "Cowboys and Aliens," and you think that Sam Rockwell was in it.  You can't google "Cowboys and Aliens" to look for his name, but you CAN google "Sam Rockwell" to confirm or disprove your guess.  If you do this, though, you need to have another Sam Rockwell link in hand.  If you pick another movie from the list of Sam Rockwell films that came up in your search, you're "cheat-googling" again.

These games are memory tests, not tests of Internet searching skill.  :anim-smile:

George

48 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

I have no idea why you're being reduced to posting postage stamps here. This very post, I have a "max total size" of 1.95MB."  

My GUESS is that it has something to do with either Chrome or IE.   I always post here using Firefox and am not having that problem.   I'm unsure why there IS a problem, but I'm no expert.   (I do know that Internet Explorer was replaced with Internet EDGE, so if it was an IE-only problem, I'd think that was it, since Explorer's not updated.)    If Chrome has a problem, it's surprising.  Are you using an updated version of Chrome?

I also checked my post using Microsoft Edge and Fire Fox and could NOT see my picture...very odd...and I just checked my version of Google Chrome and it says 

Google Chrome is up to date

Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

== == == ==

I've never run into this problem before in all the times I've posted links to music, pictures, articles, or You Tube. Very odd - I'll keep looking into this...sorry folks

47 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I use Edge.  I can't see T-Bone's (initial) picture, either.  When I click on the garbled script which appears in its place, I get an error message (403 -- No permission).

I have occasionally had some trouble posting because of file size.  Usually, I open the picture in Paint and then resize.

Is the red truck busting through a wall (I think?) your clue?

George

It's a red van crashing through a huge sheet of glass

also I tried uploading my uncompressed picture of 43 KB using Fire Fox, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge and  I still get the data cap limit of now only 612 B...this decreasing data cap is a different issue than posting a link via Google Chrome

Edited by T-Bone
revision

18 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

I'm left thinking it's either a datacap on your phone, or on your account from your ISP (unlikely)  or some "feature" of your iphone. 

The 2nd picture does appear, although it is tiny. 

I post pictures from my PC and not iPhone...

now I'm logged in using Firefox as my browser - let me try posting link of a different angle of the red van

MV5BMGU2ZTU0MTctMDRhMC00NTM2LWEwMjgtMDZj

I searched for the image by using Fire Fox browser - copied image location - then opened a new tab in Fire Fox browser and embedded it in my post...hopefully you all can see this one.

Edited by T-Bone
revision