GreaseSpot Cafe

Ira Hearnes Selected To Grow Ancient Seeds

Stayed Too Long

20 hours ago, Rocky said:

And the 9th corpse. The food was good. Not everyone appreciated the borscht, but it was good quality food.

I was in the 9th corp for the first 3 months and my job was cleaning up after meals. I never got sufficient food at the meals to fill me up, so was always thankful there was a basket or two left on the tables with some bread left in them. Loved the borscht too. .

I hated the head table had coffee with their meal, especially when vpw always had a can of 7up at meals. 

Edited by Stayed Too Long

I think generally the food was good when I was in rez (and Craig was Prez).  Sometimes a little weird, to my way of thinking, but usually there was someone who loved that meal.  For the evening meal: Sloppy Joes - wot?? (very popular with others).  Brats?  Hot dogs?  (Is this really food?)  Fruit salad (as 5pm meal) - most hated it, I totally loved it and ate very large amounts.  And that fermented cabbage thingy.  People eat that?

Yes.  Special silver service at the "head table" with nice tablecloth and nice cutlery. Really.  Either they should have made coffee/tea available to everyone - or everyone should be drinking water, inc and especially at head table.   Go and drink your coffee privately, or not at all.  Could be worse - they could have been drinking a nice wine or a beer.  That really would rub salt in the sore.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."  (The infamous proclamation by the pigs who control the government in the novel Animal Farm, by George Orwell.) 

10 hours ago, Stayed Too Long said:

I was in the 9th corp for the first 3 months and my job was cleaning up after meals. I never got sufficient food at the meals to fill me up, so was always thankful there was a basket or two left on the tables with some bread left in them. Loved the borscht too. .

I hated the head table had coffee with their meal, especially when vpw always had a can of 7up at meals. 

Yeah, I lost weight that year. I didn't despise the borscht. I also remember the homemade bread was very good.

But I don't remember thinking about coffee one way or the other. I DO remember being sleep deprived, and having a hard time staying awake in classes.

No doubt you have stories to tell (to your children, perhaps). 

What I had left over from way corpse training wasn't necessarily the stuff of stories I would want to tell my child.

Thankfully, she (my daughter) is a successful adult now... but I'm rambling. Sorry.

10 hours ago, Stayed Too Long said:

I don’t recall how I knew about this. It just came to mind the other day and thought I would post to see if there was anything to it. 

It probably was yet another of those wild stories that got passed along in twi.  People in twi never believed/never believe in VETTING a story, checking if it was true.  They just pass it along without looking into it. (Some out of twi for decades still buy the imaginary snowstorm/ snow job story.)   When I was in, I remember at least 1 person passing along a story. From what he said, I was under the impression he was describing a television show he saw once.  No, he heard the story and passed it along entirely.  It was an urban legend and easily disproved.  However, he spoke as if he'd vetted his source.   That was typical.   Some ex-twiérs still buy into some OTHER group's nonsense just as easily, because some people never learn.

3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

It probably was yet another of those wild stories that got passed along in twi.  People in twi never believed/never believe in VETTING a story, checking if it was true.  They just pass it along without looking into it. (Some out of twi for decades still buy the imaginary snowstorm/ snow job story.)   When I was in, I remember at least 1 person passing along a story. From what he said, I was under the impression he was describing a television show he saw once.  No, he heard the story and passed it along entirely.  It was an urban legend and easily disproved.  However, he spoke as if he'd vetted his source.   That was typical.   Some ex-twiérs still buy into some OTHER group's nonsense just as easily, because some people never learn.

That's a great description of the credulity I encountered, and likely engaged in myself during my time in twi, and probably for an undetermined time thereafter.

noun

willingness to believe or trust too readily, especially without proper or adequate evidence; gullibility.

18 hours ago, WordWolf said:

It probably was yet another of those wild stories that got passed along in twi. 

People in twi never believed/never believe in VETTING a story, checking if it was true

They just pass it along without looking into it. (Some out of twi for decades still buy the imaginary snowstorm/ snow job story.)   When I was in, I remember at least 1 person passing along a story. From what he said, I was under the impression he was describing a television show he saw once.  No, he heard the story and passed it along entirely.  It was an urban legend and easily disproved.  However, he spoke as if he'd vetted his source.   That was typical.   Some ex-twiérs still buy into some OTHER group's nonsense just as easily, because some people never learn.

15 hours ago, Rocky said:

That's a great description of the credulity I encountered, and likely engaged in myself during my time in twi, and probably for an undetermined time thereafter.

noun

willingness to believe or trust too readily, especially without proper or adequate evidence; gullibility.

way back when, some of us were young and naïve – and on top of that - one of the ripple effects of PFAL was  grads continuing to trust wierwille and anyone else associated with his “ministry” – even other believers...maybe this TWI-mindset was considered a shortcut or the only "litmus test" needed– so no need for vetting or fact-checking a story if it came from a believer.

Many people base their beliefs in large part on what they see as information from trusted sources.”   from page 20 of  Escaping the Rabbit Hole by Mick West 

Edited by T-Bone
formatting and typos

One doesn't really expect ministers of religion to peddle lies.  To knowingly tell untruths. 

Situation primed for abuse, even where it didn't matter.

3 hours ago, Twinky said:

One doesn't really expect ministers of religion to peddle lies.  To knowingly tell untruths. 

Situation primed for abuse, even where it didn't matter.

One item I remember from way back when/then...

Wayfers passing around information about microwave ovens killing food. Of course, when something is overcooked in a m/w, that goes without saying. But this was a matter of just telling people not to use m/w ovens.

BTW, blame lcm for your meals lacking onions and garlic.  Since he disliked either, he made a federal case any time anyone cooked with it.  So, all of you were deprived of it, even if it was for dinner and he wasn't eating with the rest of you.

Watered Garden:

"Mr. Garden and I arrived early to enroll our son in school and were volunteers in the canning room for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately we knew more about safe food preparation and canning than the staff zeeatch in charge, so there were a few conflicts. Also, when we made salsa, we were strictly forbidden to include onions, as LCM hated onions. Nor were we allowed to put garlic in the salsa, because he also abhorred garlic! What the heck, does he just want tomato sauce? I suggested we make him a personal batch and label it "El Presidente Especial Blend" but OHHELLNO! If that was the president's preference we needed to renew our minds to his godly thoughts on salsa recipes!

In spite of the largesse of foods and veggies, we ate meagerly. Most of the good stuff went to NK for pleasurable consumption by the MOG and his minions. Sad."

Watered Garden:

"I think I saw the height of this stupidity when I was in Family WC at Rome City. We were volunteered to help process tomatoes. This was actually before the official start of the program, but we were there, the tomatoes were there, and we knew what we were doing, actually much better than the person in charge.

Comes time to make salsa. We didn't actually make the salsa but had to watch it cook. The salsa had no garlic and no onion. I politely pointed out what I saw as a glaring oversight, and was promptly informed that Official TWI Salsa NEVER NEVER NEVER contained garlic or onions! Perish the thought! Was I possessed? Did I not realize that THE MAN OF GOD FOR OUR DAY AND TIME AND HOUR absolutely hated garlic and onions?

I then suggested we could make him his own little stash of garlic and onion free salsa, which we could also call tomato sauce, and make normal salsa for everyone else. The supervisor was equally aghast! NO NO NO NO NO! If the MOG hates onions and garlic, then the entire WC must avoid them like the plague.

This left me with two thoughts:

1) The MOG has NO right to impose his personal preferences on the entire world.

2) This is not gonna be the best time of my life."

Unrelated, but useful if making tomato sauce....  "A word abouttomato sauce : Don't cook it over high heat for hours - it brings out the acidity of the tomatoes. Lots of folks think its necessary to add sugar totomato sauce - that's because they are trying to mask this acidity. If you just simmer the sauce for no more than 2 hours it will be fine." -doojable

Chef Robert Irvine (who does not post here) recommends adding carrots rather than sugar for balancing the flavors when cooking.  Carrots contain glucose naturally,

One last digression.  Waydale had this, and the GSC Editorials had this.  "Onion Free Zone."  Here it is again.

"

The Way's Onion Free Zone

(This article first appeared on WayDale's Discussion Forums)

Craig Martindale does not like the smell of onions. THEREFORE, the TWI Food Services Department NEVER prepares food with onions as part of the recipe. NEVER.

What's the big deal you may ask? Well, why not ask a staffer who has lived in an onion free zone for 10 years how he or she feels about it. Don't you guys know how good onions taste???

Imagine having almost EVERY meal that you eat in an average month, cooked for you and served to you by TWI FOOD SERVICES. Now, further imagine that you will NEVER have onions be a part of that meal. Are you getting nervous yet? :-)

A few years ago I asked the Food Services Dept. coordinator about this *Onion Free Zone* that surrounds HQ.

He told me that as *Rev.* Martindale doesn't like the smell of onions, Food Services chooses not to prepare meals with onions in the recipes. Food Services was to do everything in its power to encourage *Rev.* Martindale to attend meals and nothing to discourage him.

It seems that if *Rev.* Martindale attends a lunch time meal, he will likely share the *word* with everyone. But he won't attend the meal if he can smell onions!

[Anyone who knows Martindale also know how sensitive he claims his sense of smell to be. Onions take him over the edge apparently.

At the Advanced Class Special in Dallas in the 1998/1999 year, Martindale was moved through the hotel via the *staff only* corridors. This way he didn't have to stop to greet people at every turn. Martindale claimed that it was so as not to cause a big commotion/distraction with the believers whenever he (LCM) moved about.

Way Corps made sure that these corridors had incense burning whenever Martindale was due to come through, in order to cover up the smells of cooking that would distract and upset LCM due to his *hyper-sensitive* sense of smell]

Martindale only attends the HQ noon time meal, Mondays through Fridays. His other meals are prepared for him privately by his own in-home staff, and yet, despite this, TWI Food Services Department NEVER cook with onions for the other meals. Why? you ask - Because. That's why!

Of course there's nothing to stop a staffer from sneaking an onion in the *privacy* of his or her Founder's Hall cell bedroom.

Can you imagine expecting more than 500 people to forego a basic food prep. item such as onions in order to *bless the man of God*??

Seems to me that LCM would rather inconvenience and deprive 500 people as opposed to inconveniencing himself a little.

Isn't this all backwards for a *servant* of men?

The *Onion Issue* is another of the TWI staffer's many sensitive issues that they try to look stoically at. After all, if the staff can help MOGFOT (Man of God for Our Time) stay blessed, won't that help in God's work?"

If I’m not mistaken wierwille had a similar pet peeve about garlic…that’s too bad – considering all the natural benefits of garlic and onion – a natural antibiotic, a blood-cleanser, natural anti-fungal & antibacterial ( also see   - Huff Post article     )…I’ve had pneumonia a few times and have to watch out for some cold or flu virus I catch developing into bronchitis. Nowadays, it’s usually a trip to the doc if I have a lot of trouble getting over it; but in health battles of this nature I also always go with some old family remedy – eating garlic and onion – plain or in a salad or some meal…at the top of my first grocery list when the pandemic started was a bunch of garlic and onions.

• Like 1

It always made me chuckle when I sat at or near Ralph Dubofsky's table at lunch in the HQ dining hall during my interim year of 1983-84. His wife at the time, Lori, always brought a bowl of raw, cut onions along with their children when she came for lunch.  People who knew this made it a habit of sitting at their table so they could have onions on their salad.

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2020 at 4:26 PM, Rocky said:

That right there, had I known at the time, could have sent me running for the hills away from twi.

It's barbaric to cook/serve food without garlic or onions. Absolutely barbaric. :doh:

Speaking of barbaric…in less sophisticated times both garlic and onions were believed by some  to ward off evil spirits, demons, werewolves and vampires (I wonder if that was good against bloodsucking cult leaders too)…hmmmmm – maybe there was a good reason why TWI banned garlic and onions. 

see Garlic, demons, werewolves, vampires link

see the family of onions link

Edited by T-Bone
formatting

7 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Speaking of barbaric…in less sophisticated times both garlic and onions were believed by some  to ward off evil spirits, demons, werewolves and vampires (I wonder if that was good against bloodsucking cult leaders too)…hmmmmm – maybe there was a good reason why TWI banned garlic and onions. 

see Garlic, demons, werewolves, vampires link

see the family of onions link

Well, wasn't you know who sometimes referred to as werewolf? Or was that mainly at GSC? :wink2:

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Well, wasn't you know who sometimes referred to as werewolf? Or was that mainly at GSC? :wink2:

To hear Mark Sanguinetti tell it,  vpw HIMSELF called himself that to Mark.  However, he appeared to have been joking at the time.

21 minutes ago, rubina said:

In this teaching he said that the devil is behind seedless grapes. :jump:

Well at least they’re not wrong seed...but give them time - I bet some of them will be raisin Cain.

Edited by T-Bone
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rubina said:

In this teaching he said that the devil is behind seedless grapes.

I have some seedless grapes on the kitchen counter. I took a peek behind them but all I found was a mushy old banana and a shriveled up grapefruit.