GreaseSpot Cafe

Ira Hearnes Selected To Grow Ancient Seeds

Stayed Too Long

15 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Seriously?  About how many minutes in did he say it?

timestamp: 5:40

He reads Genesis 1:29

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat

and then asks:

"How many of you like seedless grapes?" (I assume a number people raised their hands) "sure we do, all counterfeits are appeal (sic) to the five senses, don't they. But nothing's said there about seedless grapes for food, seedless oranges, seedless grapefruit, that's where the devil's got involved a little bit." 

9 hours ago, rubina said:

timestamp: 5:40

He reads Genesis 1:29

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat

and then asks:

"How many of you like seedless grapes?" (I assume a number people raised their hands) "sure we do, all counterfeits are appeal (sic) to the five senses, don't they. But nothing's said there about seedless grapes for food, seedless oranges, seedless grapefruit, that's where the devil's got involved a little bit." 

"Seedless" grapes have SEEDS!  They are small and don't have the harder shell.  The plant's been selectively bred to have SOFTER seeds.  With no outer husk, the seeds are SMALLER as well as softer.   Although they have seeds those seeds are not expected to work to grow fruit, so they're grown from a CUTTING of an existing plant.  Plants are different from animals in many ways.  Among those is that you can cut some parts off a plant, and the plant will heal, and grow another plant from the cutting.    Multicellular animals aren't built that way.   (BTW, "seedless" watermelons ARE grown from seeds.)

If he's really spent his life farming, you think he'd know that "seedless" grapes are misnamed.  (They also occur in nature and do not require a devil to be involved. They are, however, a mutation that doesn't benefit the plant.)

"Seedless" fruit occurs in nature, but they usually die out because their seeds don't produce more fruit trees/plants.   However, humans can exploit that and continue their existence on purpose.   Why would they do that?    (To hear this guy say it, a devil made them do it.)   

1)  The spot where the big seeds would be is now occupied by fruit.

2) The resulting plants are effectively identical-  which means the farmers know what to expect of them.

15 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

"Seedless" grapes have SEEDS!  They are small and don't have the harder shell.  The plant's been selectively bred to have SOFTER seeds.  With no outer husk, the seeds are SMALLER as well as softer.   Although they have seeds those seeds are not expected to work to grow fruit, so they're grown from a CUTTING of an existing plant.  Plants are different from animals in many ways.  Among those is that you can cut some parts off a plant, and the plant will heal, and grow another plant from the cutting.    Multicellular animals aren't built that way.   (BTW, "seedless" watermelons ARE grown from seeds.)

If he's really spent his life farming, you think he'd know that "seedless" grapes are misnamed.  (They also occur in nature and do not require a devil to be involved. They are, however, a mutation that doesn't benefit the plant.)

"Seedless" fruit occurs in nature, but they usually die out because their seeds don't produce more fruit trees/plants.   However, humans can exploit that and continue their existence on purpose.   Why would they do that?    (To hear this guy say it, a devil made them do it.)   

1)  The spot where the big seeds would be is now occupied by fruit.

2) The resulting plants are effectively identical-  which means the farmers know what to expect of them.

As I understand it, the same happens with seedless watermelons.

10 hours ago, Rocky said:

As I understand it, the same happens with seedless watermelons.

When I was a little boy my aunt saw that I wasn’t spitting out the watermelon seeds and told me that a watermelon would grow in my tummy…if my aunt were alive today and could see my big fat gut she’d probably say “see, what did I tell you?

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

When I was a little boy my aunt saw that I wasn’t spitting out the watermelon seeds and told me that a watermelon would grow in my tummy…if my aunt were alive today and could see my big fat gut she’d probably say “see, what did I tell you?

:biglaugh:  :biglaugh:

• 3 months later...