GreaseSpot Cafe

Atlantic Hurricane/Tropical Storm Watch 2020

Raf

Might as well put all the cones and whatnot in one place instead of a thread for every storm.

I will be focusing on Atlantic storms, given that Pacific storms don't really affect GSC participants much.

I also want to apologize for focusing in the past on storms that are headed for Florida and then losing interest once I'm out of the cone. I usually expect others to jump in once that's done, but that doesn't seem to happen a lot.

So anyway, let us begin with...

They're not issuing advisories on the one furthest west, so other than more-rain-than-average, it's nothing to buckle up for.

The middle one should become Laura at some point soon. Not more than a tropical storm at this point, but that could always change.

My area, South Florida, keeping an eye out. I'm a bit more worried about what happens once it is in the Gulf.

Screenshot_20200820-070023_Chrome.jpg

Well, as they say, that escalated quickly. It will now be a hurricane as it blows through the Keys (which means it will be rough for us further north on Monday). But again, I'm still more worried about what happens in the Gulf. This is going to be hell on the Panhandle.

Say hello to Laura, everyone.

TD13.png

Unless, of course THIS becomes Laura first. In which case the one above becomes Marco.

Is everyone taking notes?

TEXAS! This one may be coming for y'all after all!

td14.png

Edited by Raf

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Could be.  Too early to tell.

George

Right. It is possible.   Either way, Cprpus Christi should be paying close attention right about now.

My sympathies for those of you who end up in the bullseye of one of these things.  My life certainly isn't perfect right now (although I like it), but I'm well clear of the usual paths of hurricanes, tropical storms, tornadoes,  etc.

2004 and 2005 were hellishly busy for hurricanes, but I do not recall two back to back like this, so close that we didn't know which one would get which name. 

If the projections are right, the Texas-Louisiana one becomes Laura and the Florida-Alabama one becomes Marco.

Screenshot_20200821-071708_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200821-071838_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Raf

Both landing as hurricanes: Marco on Monday and Laura on Wednesday.

I wonder if two storms in such close proximity throw all the models off. I have to look at previous posts, but the cones have been pretty crappy, no?

Screenshot_20200822-192929_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200822-193308_Chrome.jpg

Houston's not quite out of the woods, but I don't expect major impact here.  Newscasters are noting that the storm surge could be a problem (from Laura); but I'm too far inland for that to get me.  Galveston's sea wall should also absorb most of the brunt for that city.  Smaller coastal towns (Freeport, etc.) might have a rough day.

George

8 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Houston's not quite out of the woods, but I don't expect major impact here.  Newscasters are noting that the storm surge could be a problem (from Laura); but I'm too far inland for that to get me.  Galveston's sea wall should also absorb most of the brunt for that city.  Smaller coastal towns (Freeport, etc.) might have a rough day.

George

I hope damage is minimal in Houston. Good luck, George.

I hope Louisiana in particular had enough time to brace for what's hitting this week. A tropical depression is very wet as far as water is concerned.

But to have it be followed a day or two later by an actual hurricane just seems like misery piled on misery.

If anyone is monitoring local news there, please let us know if folks need help.

Screenshot_20200824-212813_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200824-212854_Chrome.jpg