GreaseSpot Cafe

Atlantic Hurricane/Tropical Storm Watch 2020

Raf

Well, we're having a blustery time of it.  Storm Ellen on Sunday or was it Monday, and Storm Francis today.  Probably not as bad as you suffer in the southern US, but dangerous in the coastal areas, tall lorries (trucks) blown over, and the Severn roadbridge closed to all traffic (the Severn estuary is a notorious windfunnel).  No rain yet (in my area); my mum had flooding under her front door (lives 130 miles away). 

Apparently just been upgraded to "danger to life" status.

A storm last week caused a landslip in Scotland which unfortunately a train ran into, derailed all parts of the train (only 6 carriages) and the motor unit burst into flames, 3 people killed, others injured - happily only 9 people aboard the train at the time.

17 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Well, we're having a blustery time of it.  Storm Ellen on Sunday or was it Monday, and Storm Francis today.  Probably not as bad as you suffer in the southern US, but dangerous in the coastal areas, tall lorries (trucks) blown over, and the Severn roadbridge closed to all traffic (the Severn estuary is a notorious windfunnel).  No rain yet (in my area); my mum had flooding under her front door (lives 130 miles away). 

Apparently just been upgraded to "danger to life" status.

A storm last week caused a landslip in Scotland which unfortunately a train ran into, derailed all parts of the train (only 6 carriages) and the motor unit burst into flames, 3 people killed, others injured - happily only 9 people aboard the train at the time.

We tend to forget about the storms, once they turn away from America.  The ones that make the Isles are generally much weaker by that time, but not always.

Praying for you and yours.

George

What's usually said is that whatever weather the (eastern) US gets, we in the UK get two weeks later.

We don't often get whirlwinds or tornados (though there was one last week, great waterspouts photo'd), but we can get very heavy rain after the long travel of high winds over the Atlantic.

The Gulf Stream comes up from the Caribbean, drifts through the ocean, and kisses the west coast of Ireland and of England and Scotland.  So much so, would you believe, that there are tropical gardens in Scotland because of the warmth carried by this ocean current (not to mention the abundance of rains that also come over).

Goodness, haven't seen this in a while.

Major hurricane making landfall in Louisiana? I'm going to assume anyone in the path of this monster will not be reading this until they are on the other side of it. Please let us know, when it is safe to do so, how we can help.

Laura.png

Laura is now a Cat 3, might strengthen to Cat 4 by landfall.  Not so much like Ike as it is like Rita.  The good news, such as it is, is that it's moving quickly.  As the map above shows, it will be a tropical storm by tomorrow afternoon and a depression soon after that.

Pearland (just south of Houston) is about 100 miles from the Sabine River.  We expect tropical storm winds and heavy rain for a few hours overnight.  Ideally, I won't even lose power, but loss for a day or so is easily manageable.  Also, I need my fence to be intact to let the dogs out.  :anim-smile:

People in LA, east of the landfall, are in for a much worse time of it.  They're definitely in my prayers.

George

Static, I think.

Because of the counter-clockwise circulation of northern hemisphere storms, the west side of the storm is the "clean" side; the east side is the "dirty" side.

I didn't get a drop of rain.  (And no wind, power loss, etc.)

My prayers go out, of course, to those in Louisiana.  I have a nephew who just moved to New Orleans.  I'm sure he's fine, but I'm sure it was quite a change for someone who has lived in the Chicago area most of his life.

George

In a static image, you take a screen shot of the cone and upload the pic onto GSC

In a dynamic image, you copy the url. When the image associated with the url changes, so does the image on GSC. As I write this, the Paulette cone above started at 5 AM Tuesday. I doubt that was the case when GSG posted the image 18 hours earlier.

No reason to avoid the dynamic images. I was posting static images as a curiosity, to go back and compare the cone as it was forecast on "Frednesday" to the actual storm path however many days later. 

I'll jump on the Paulette bandwagon if I start seeing a threat to land. Likewise Rene. But I don't own the thread. Someone else wants to post them, you have an open invitation.

cone graphic

I never tried that before. Would have saved me a ton of time in earlier threads.

Anyway, yeah, doing it that way appears to be the shortcut way of copying the url and pasting it into the "share image by url" blah blah blah even I'm bored. Thanks for putting up with me on that.