GreaseSpot Cafe

Have you ever read any of the works of Soren Kierkegaard?

Rocky

The only time I ever recall hearing anything about this theologian/philosopher was on the game show Jeopardy.

I found a review on Goodreads of Provocations: Spiritual writings of Kierkegaard that stirred me.

Soren Kierkegaard's radical idea: what would happen if someone were to introduce Christianity to.... Christians?

He doesn't actually state it as such but that is the essential thrust of the writings collected in this volume. His work is an antidote to a factory assembly line version of Christianity; a reminder that spirituality is not outwardly conforming to a certain manner of life (ritual) or inwardly acquiescing to a certain set of intellectual propositions (theology) but is instead a lived out experience (faith).

"There are many people who reach their conclusions about life like schoolboys; they cheat their master by copying the answer out of a book without having worked out the sum for themselves." - Soren Kierkegaard

The title for this collection was very aptly chosen. I have a friend who once shared with me that she takes a certain amount of pleasure in poking egos with a stick. I'm going to commandeer her phrase because it is such a perfect description of what this book does - it pokes the ego with a stick.

“Face the facts of being what you are, for that is what changes what you are.” - Søren Kierkegaard

Another reviewer stated it far more pithily than me: the purpose is to inform in order to transform.

It occurs to me (Rocky) that Wierwille was one of those people described above who cheat their master by copying the answer out of a book without having worked it out for himself... even though VPW made plenty of claims to the contrary.

If you've studied any Kierkegaard writings, please share your impressions of his ideas.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Agreed, your conclusion re Weirwille. 

Haven't read Kierkegaard, but have heard from some of my church leaders of him, and they like his challenge to live authentically. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

That's "Provocations" by Soren Kierkegaard.

Yes, that's it. Thanks WW. 

Here's a related reference from Goodreads:

"This is all I have known for certain, that God is love. Even if I have been mistaken on this of that point, God is nevertheless love. If I have made a mistake it will be plain enough; so I repent- and God is love. He is love, not he has love, nor, he will be love, oh no, even that future was too slow for me, he is love. Oh, how wonderful. Sometimes, perhaps my repentance does not come at once, and so there is a future. But God keeps no person waiting, he is love. Like spring-water which keeps the same temperature summer and winter- so is God's love. His love is a spring that never runs dry."

And a related book, Love Matters More: How Fighting to be Right keeps us from Loving like Jesus.

• Upvote 1

I liked this quote from the blurb:

Jared Byas calls us back to the heart of the Bible: that truth is only true when it's lived out in love.

And therein is the challenge.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2020 at 5:42 PM, Rocky said:

Yes, that's it. Thanks WW. 

Here's a related reference from Goodreads:

"This is all I have known for certain, that God is love. Even if I have been mistaken on this of that point, God is nevertheless love. If I have made a mistake it will be plain enough; so I repent- and God is love. He is love, not he has love, nor, he will be love, oh no, even that future was too slow for me, he is love. Oh, how wonderful. Sometimes, perhaps my repentance does not come at once, and so there is a future. But God keeps no person waiting, he is love. Like spring-water which keeps the same temperature summer and winter- so is God's love. His love is a spring that never runs dry."

And a related book, Love Matters More: How Fighting to be Right keeps us from Loving like Jesus.

Rocky, I have never read SK, but I thank you for your wonderful post!!  When the libraries open up again, in DC, I will have to read him. :love3:

• Upvote 1