GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Classic: John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)

Zixar

With the release of the new computer game/sequel, I thought I'd pick up the Collector's Edition DVD of John Carpenter's 1982 horror masterpiece, "The Thing". Wow. I watched it twice in a row the night I got it.

An Antarctic research station encounters a deadly extraterrestrial that can imitate and invade any living organism. Who can you trust when your friend might be a monster?

Closer to the original short story than Howard Hawks' 1951 version, this claustrophobic, ultra-gory paranoia machine is not for the squeamish. Rob Bottin's special effects are some of the most disturbing ever filmed. Coupled with a creepy Ennio Morricone score, and a wonderful ensemble cast, this is the stuff of which nightmares are made.

The running commentary feature on the DVD is marvelous, featuring both director Carpenter and star Kurt Russell. They make a few points I hadn't noticed:

-The movie has no humor in it. Most action movies today have the heroes firing off pithy quips as fast as armor-piercing bullets, but there's really only one joke in this whole movie, and nobody laughs when it happens. (Hint: David Clennon's character, Palmer, says it, although I disagree with Carpenter--Donald Moffatt's "couch" line is funnier.)

-The movie frequently has scenes where nine or ten characters are in the shot simultaneously. In most movies, you rarely have more than 3 characters with dialogue in a single shot. This was a directorial nightmare, but Carpenter pulls it off on several occasions.

-Most of the scenes in the beginning with the sled dog were shot in only one or two takes. Jed, the half-wolf/half-husky dog actor was simply incredible. Watch him closely and you'll see it, especially in the hallway sequence.

So, yes, it isn't for the faint of heart, but look past all the incredible gross-out special effects, and you'll see why this movie, a box-office flop when it was released against "E.T." in the summer of '82, is on most sci-fi fans' all time Top Ten list.

Watch it again.

With the lights on...

Zix-

That is a great flick.

Much better and more suspenseful than the talkier 1950s version directed by Howard Hawks (though I recall some footage from the original was used in Carpenter's version, on the videotape everyone was watching recovered from the Swedes.)

Thanks. I'll have to pick that up on DVD.

Stil enjoying my copy of Kubrick's "2001 A Space Odyssey".

Now if someone would only restore and release on DVD the classic 1962 Russian sci-fi, "Planeta Burg"....

Zixar,

COOL! I knew there was a reason I liked you....... This is one of my all time favorite movies! Which is odd because I don't really go for horror flicks.

The best line of the movie is the very last line. Kurt Russell & a black guy are the only ones left alive. Kurt Russell is sitting there holding onto a gun & the black guy says something like, "So what do we do now? Then Kurt Russell says something like, "We're just gonna sit here & wait."

WHOA, this is such a great movie..........

I like the 1951 version too, but its been so long since I've seen it the details are a little fuzzy.

P.S. Speaking of John Carpenter. He directed two of my other all time favorites: Terminator & Terminator 2!!!!!!! But, I have NEVER been able to decide which one I like better though.

Remember, "Come with me if you want to live!" and "I'll be back!"

See ya,

OLM

• 3 weeks later...

yes, it was a very good movie. i only wish i could have had vpw there to tell me it was all devil spirits doing this like he critiqued the exorcist. wha t a wonderful film critic he was. i remember when he saw the ex, he said some kids in front of him were somoking pot. he said something like"i hope that helped them get through the movie " or some !##$ like that. a real rednecked preacher type comment with much negative connotation. i saw the thing when it first came out. i saw hawks film when i was a child. it was great. but carpenters film went a bit deeper in the effects dept. which made it even more exciting than the original.has anyone seen REANIMATOR? i must recommend this movie. look for it on independent film channel or others. seek it out. they just showed it last week. this is a gas of a flick. sit back ready to die, laugh your *** off, roll in the floor like a snakebitten christian. youll love it. also,you must check out X THE MAN WITRH X RAY EYES. you will not be dissappointed. its an older film with ray milland. this one is GREAT sci fi. look at AMC lineup for halloween. theyll be some good classic flicks on towards halloween.

marywonni