GreaseSpot Cafe

Party in the pastor's room

Raf

Hey folks. I've started a GSC Facebook social group primarily for virtual meet-ups and wanted to invite you to it. It is NOT visible to the general public, so you have to send me a friend request first.

Group's rules are: Check your grudges at the door, no politics, no preaching, keep your clothes on and eat your veggies. Not necessarily in that order.

My Facebook account is here. Send me a request, let me know who you are on GSC, and I will send the invite to the group.

I just tried.  Had to set up a new Facebook account.  Had to switch to Chrome to get to the video chat.  THEN it told me it STILL wouldn't let me in, after clicking the "join room as (name)" button.      How about we try some Zoom meetings?    I can set that up, and you won't even need to sign up for an account to join the room. 

51 minutes ago, Raf said:

The trick is starting a room without TWI knowing about it, which is why FB and a closed group was my method...

We don’t get into Facebook or any social media…however me, Tonto and our daughter participate in a few Zoom meetings for special needs programs and they use a password besides the Zoom ID for access they email the access info to all the parents/participants – I think the extra security of a password was necessary after we've all heard in the news about some ne’er-do-wells zoom bombing…Perhaps you can coordinate a zoom meeting time/date by a general announcement (no Zoom ID/password given) and then Grease Spotters will have to private message the coordinator for ID and password. You could even express some stipulations in the general announcement – like access to the Zoom meeting is limited to established Grease Spotters with at least X amount of months on Grease Spot and that regardless of their reputation or opinion of TWI/wierwille/whatever, they have demonstrated respect for others, respect for the Grease Spot rules and seem trustworthy that they won’t go blabbing the zoom ID / password to others…and of course if a zoom bomb happens – other than trying to do detective work on finding the stool pigeon you can simply change the Zoom ID/password.

Couple of things:

1. Party in the Pastor's Room FB group remains open for anyone who wants to join. Follow the instructions I provided on the opening post in this thread. WW, don't know what went wrong today, but whatever, we can try again.

2. That does not preclude us from Zooming here, though I would suggest starting a new thread to announce it and giving members plenty of notice. I'm not sure how we would work out protecting the chat from being compromised, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I can give it another shot.  However. FB has this thing about never actually saying what a problem is, so I wouldn't bet money on me getting through.

A separate thread for a Zoom room makes sense.  Keeping the chat from being compromised is easy.  The thread announces the "when."  Those interested would send a pm to get the room ID and password.    Even if we posted the room ID, if it was passworded, then the room ID doesn't matter since you can't get in without the password.

I'll probably want to ask Wordpup a question or 2, since his classes are all on Zoom so he's got a lot more practice on it than I have.   Skype now has something similar where you also don't have to log into Skype, but I don't have experience with it and can't vouch for it.    With Zoom, you can use the Zoom program, or just use your browser, and either will work to visit a room.

Get real, does anyone really think that a TWI person would want to join?  They wouldn't last long, defending their TWI dogma.  And all of us old-timers here have been out long enough not to care what TWI say, or whether they knew our identities.

For myself, I don't know many people here in the flesh.  It would be interesting to see those I know again - perhaps.  I quite like the anonymity of not knowing who I'm talking to, in this forum.  I can hear your "voices" clearly but I don't know that I want the distraction of seeing your faces.  I don't want to see how fat/ thin/ clean/ tidy/ slobby you are, or that you chainsmoke or drink constantly, even though you might be able to write articulately.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

And here was me thinking something fun might be happening.

Zoom's really good.  Much, much better than Skype.  I do a church "online" service for all the four churches in the benefice, usually 80-90 logged on (which will include couples), followed by a Zoom chat room with those in my church who want to attend that (usually 8-20 of us, inc some couples) depends on who's physically present in the church and who's only online.  The Host posts a link to the meeting and each participant has to be allowed to enter by the Host, who can mute anybody at any time.

After my Zoom meeting, I sometimes join a friend in a 3-way conversation with his sister.  The image (video) isn't a patch on Zoom, and the images are dizzying, as the person speaking is always to the left of the screen, so if one speaks then another, the images keep switching around.  Gives me a headache.

Facetime can be okay too, but have only tried with one other person at a time and it's limited to Friends.

• 4 weeks later...