GreaseSpot Cafe

Athletes of the Spirit: Runtime?

Galvatron

Question

Hello! I'm planning to get my AOTS 10th Anniversary Edition vhs tape converted to digital. The service charges by length. The tape itself is a T-130 VHS, which is a 6.5 hour long tape. Visually, there is a lot of tape on the reel! I don't think the production is that long! Anyone know the approximate runtime of this production? I don't own a VCR so I can't watch it and time it, and I don't want to ask the conversion service to time it for me. Thanks in advance!

Edits:

I forgot to mention that the approximate runtime is not indicated on the clamshell or tape label . There is also an insert with a bunch of scriptures, but no runtime!

My motivations for this conversion are historic preservation. I was raised in the Way and don't feel nostalgic for it, but I also don't want to eradicate all memories of being there. This tape is rare, so I want to make sure that its contents are sufficiently archived. I realize that the Way holds copyright claims to this production and that they actively eradicate evidence of Martindale's involvement, so I know that uploading the video on a major platform will result in a copyright takedown. It's not my intent to distribute the production in such a manner, but rather to preserve the recording. 

Edited by Galvatron

5 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Rocky said:

I'm told by JavaJane, whose brother had done an artistic project related to AOTS, that the video production is 2 hours.

My recollection matches his.  The show was divided, basically, into 2 parts, each 1 hour.   The first hour ends with the end of the "born again" scene.  I seem to remember an actual curtain-drop in the video at the end of the scene, with the curtain lift included at the beginning of the next scene.   I used to use this as a natural intermission for bathroom breaks and so on.  IIRC, others did, as well. 

The end of the show dragged on longer than one might expect because they dragged the closing credits out.  All the people in the show were named one at a time and came out dressed as athletes again like in the opening sequence.    Once the credits ended that everyone may remember, the screen faded out.  Those completionists may remember that the credits actually continued after that. With a screen almost black (and low, colored lights on), the behind-the-scenes credits continued with those who were not on camera, and those names crawled along.   At the end of THAT, the video ended and you got static.  I have a very vague recollection that the credits might have run something like 17 minutes, start to finish.  i am NOT certain about that, but it shouldn't be off by a wide margin.  (That might have just been the last part with the production credits.) 

16 hours ago, WordWolf said:

...I have a very vague recollection that the credits might have run something like 17 minutes, start to finish.  i am NOT certain about that, but it shouldn't be off by a wide margin.  (That might have just been the last part with the production credits.) 

What if there was a post-credit scene like…

…after the last credit goes by – the camera on the right side of the auditorium turns 90 degrees left and keeping the audience in view slowly rolls behind the curtain toward backstage where we find Craig boinking the born-again-of-the-wrong-seed character. Other interesting origin stories might make a good movie - Chris G’s passing of the patriarch, the birth of offshoots, lawsuits against Martindale/TWI, waydale, transchat, and Grease Spot.

== == == ==

DVD bonus features: 

I remember at the Rock, Craig referencing the movie “Staying Alive” and said the devil stole his idea for that movie.

Staying Alive - Travolta's descent into Satan’s alley

Staying Alive – dancing with the devil

== == == ==

Oops where’s my manners? Forgot to say welcome to Grease Spot, Galvatron (cool name btw)…

...and I hope my post didn’t turn you off…I actually agree with your sentiment of historical preservation. That’s why I’ve held on to all my TWI books, magazines, Sunday Night Tapes, corps teachings and various memorabilia. All that represents a significant portion of my life…and there’s lots to sort through for good and bad stuff – and helps me get a better understanding of a cult mindset (something that always fascinates me) which on a practical level is always useful in discernment - whether it’s in politics, news, social media or whatever.

Edited by T-Bone
revision - I forgot to say welcome!