GreaseSpot Cafe

Born into the way, left at 27

AC04Ohio

Hello!

I was in Ohio for most of my life, raised by my two parents who joined the way in the 70's. I was a somewhat enthusiastic "believer" until my early 20s and then I dove in - went Way Disciple after I graduated college then moved in with ministers in Syracuse, New York. 

I left everything behind and I was so worried that I wouldn't be okay without "God's protection." But I have to say, my life is improving. I have a master's degree, a great job, a great car, and will soon co-own a home.

None of that would have been possible if I was still giving away 10%+ of my income and afraid of debt. I feel like I have a brighter future than the Way Royalty (as we jokingly called them in college) who were booted recently. 

I have transferrable skills, I can talk like a normal person in society, and I no longer have to hide "my" religious views from others.

Imagine that. 

• Upvote 5

Welcome, AC04!  Good for you, getting out of that organization and moving on so well with your life.  A master's degree, great job, and own home, all sound absolutely great.  Talking like a normal person in society is very good :rolleyes: and perhaps you've lost the "trigger" words that set your mind back to TWI days (hard to overcome those trigger words).

Still a good idea to give away a reasonable amount of your money - to places of your own choosing - a church or charity that you like, or a neighbor who is in need.  And it is a very good idea to stay out of debt. 

Having said that, after worrying for a long time, I bought a house myself and worked hard at paying off the mortgage, making overpayments as permitted without penalties.  I couldn't afford to rent my own home even when I first bought the house, and now that the mortgage is so tiny ... well, let's say, no regrets.  I have the money to redeem in full in my bank account, could have paid it off a few years ago, but my interest rate is very low and the penalty for early repayment exceeds that.

So.  Draw up a chair, tell us what news you know.  Have a cuppa and a slice of cake.  Somebody might offer you stronger stuff than tea or coffee.

coffee-3163596_1280.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AC04Ohio said:

Hello!

I was in Ohio for most of my life, raised by my two parents who joined the way in the 70's. I was a somewhat enthusiastic "believer" until my early 20s and then I dove in - went Way Disciple after I graduated college then moved in with ministers in Syracuse, New York. 

I left everything behind and I was so worried that I wouldn't be okay without "God's protection." But I have to say, my life is improving. I have a master's degree, a great job, a great car, and will soon co-own a home.

None of that would have been possible if I was still giving away 10%+ of my income and afraid of debt. I feel like I have a brighter future than the Way Royalty (as we jokingly called them in college) who were booted recently. 

I have transferrable skills, I can talk like a normal person in society, and I no longer have to hide "my" religious views from others.

Imagine that. 

Welcome to Grease Spot, AC04Ohio! I love your last line! That reminded me of my predicament of leaving TWI with no marketable skills – something I shared about on another thread   - here    

I wish you the best on your journey.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @AC04Ohio! My husband and I both grew up in TWI and left 3 years ago at ages 26 and 28 when we became Christians. We were just talking about how thankful we are that we left TWI for actual Christianity, and that we’ve pursued stable careers in the tech industry. Welcome to the other side! The journey out can be a bit messy, so let us know if you need any support.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stepping away from God’s protection was my biggest concern leaving the way. They are able to keep people by instilling fear if you leave your life will be over. I have been gone 25 years and it has only gotten better.  The name of this web site is in reference to LCM always saying, if you left the protection of God’s ministry, you would be a grease spot my midnight. I wonder if LCM believed he would be a grease spot when he was booted out? 

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 12:42 PM, AC04Ohio said:

Hello!

Imagine that. 

Hello ACO!  Good for you!!  Life is good outside of TWI.  One thing I really enjoy about my life, is today I can be the real me. I can say what I want, read what I want, and do what I want.  I don't have a lot of people telling me, what I should, or shouldn't do. I don't have to witness to anyone, or take a bunch of boring classes.  Liberty is intoxicateing!

On 12/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, Twinky said:

Welcome, AC04!  Good for you, getting out of that organization and moving on so well with your life.  A master's degree, great job, and own home, all sound absolutely great.  Talking like a normal person in society is very good :rolleyes: and perhaps you've lost the "trigger" words that set your mind back to TWI days (hard to overcome those trigger words).

Still a good idea to give away a reasonable amount of your money - to places of your own choosing - a church or charity that you like, or a neighbor who is in need.  And it is a very good idea to stay out of debt. 

Having said that, after worrying for a long time, I bought a house myself and worked hard at paying off the mortgage, making overpayments as permitted without penalties.  I couldn't afford to rent my own home even when I first bought the house, and now that the mortgage is so tiny ... well, let's say, no regrets.  I have the money to redeem in full in my bank account, could have paid it off a few years ago, but my interest rate is very low and the penalty for early repayment exceeds that.

So.  Draw up a chair, tell us what news you know.  Have a cuppa and a slice of cake.  Somebody might offer you stronger stuff than tea or coffee.

coffee-3163596_1280.jpg

Twinky, that cake looks so good!!  But, it's not in my diet plan, so I will let someone else have it.  But thanks!!

• 4 months later...

I feel so identified by your story man, cause i was raised as a "way-believer", but when i was in my 23-25s my family was kicked off. Never to return although some guys from the off-shoots tried to recruit us.

But you do not know how well it feels to do whatever you want... and don't feel guilty about it, not expecting a telling off....

God Bless U

• Upvote 1