GreaseSpot Cafe

Why did vpw drag his family across India?

WordWolf

This question came up on another thread, and I didn't want it to get lost.  I'm hoping to get some thoughts on this one.

Here's what we know.....

vpw got static for his India trip from his denomination.  He made it independently of anything they said, and they made it crystal clear he was not representing them and was doing this entirely on his own.    vpw CLAIMED he was the first such minister who'd ever taken his ENTIRE family on such a trip (although baby JP was left with his grandparents for all the months of the trip.) 

vpw CLAIMED that the majority of his access was the result of a miraculous healing- an account we all heard in pfal.  Supposedly, vpw was hanging off the back of a train when it was about to move.  A local asked for healing but was specific he didn't believe in Jesus.  vpw supposedly did a miracle that transformed his arm instantly as the train began pulling away. It makes no sense in physics, and is cinematic.  Supposedly, on the same train was some Indian notable who represented some other notable. The one on the train saw the  "miracle" and that's why he got the second notable to open the doors in India to vpw.    

Mrs W's account was rather specific.  Dr I.S. Williams opened all the doors for vpw, and she said nothing about such a miraculous healing. 

As vpw went around the country, he swallowed the line Williams was spouting, and repeated it back- which some locals wanted to hear.   In other words, Williams USED vpw to advance his own agenda, and vpw lacked the wit to see through it.     This carried on all the way through vpw speaking on "The Dilemna of Foreign Missions"- which became a book when someone transcribed hs speech.

Ok, Williams stroked his ego, and that's enough reason for vpw to appear.  Williams offered "secret" (behind-the-scenes) knowledge-  and vpw ALWAYS ate that up no matter how ridiculous it was.      That's enough for why vpw showed up.

Why in the world did vpw drag his FAMILY across India to all these stops?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Ego. 

A sort of "FU" at his denomination.  ("You can't control what I do!")

A sort of "FU" at his denomination.  ("See what a great tour/successful mission I've carried out/how many famous preachers I've worked with!")

We also know that he'd been in trouble with his denomination at some time for inappropriate relationships with females.  Perhaps there was some sort of trouble brewing at church?  That he was, in effect, running away from?  May as well incur their wrath for everything at once ("Oh poor me!  They're victimizing me!!"), and perhaps he hoped that some of his misbehavior at his church would be overlooked?  And taking any possible "witnesses" away with him?

• 3 weeks later...

Ole Vic was a master of the shell game for sure as evidenced by his plagiarized material.

What do you do if you are having an affair with your secretary as a pastor, under fire from the board for being a rebel and worried it’s all going to catch up with you?

Go to India.  Make enough hype about it everyone forgets all the other details.

I mean you gotta give the guy credit for being a Teflon don.  His contemporaries in the same scenario were the Bakers who went public with a true confession then lost everything.

Mind you, escaping doesn't mean he has to take the family.  So why?

• Add credibility (in his own assessment) to himself as a leader and family man when he was overseas?
  • Delay his wife finding out about the affair with the church secretary?  (I don't know the timeline here)
  • Because he'd been told not to by whoever was leading the mission?
  •  
  • Or even, Dotsie wouldn't let him go alone because she thought he'd be trying it on with every woman he saw?  And getting himself in biiiig trouble?

But why the kids as well?  Too unruly to be left with other family in Ohio? I doubt it was because VPW thought it would be a wonderful learning experience for them.  Might say so, but don't think he'd believe himself on that.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:33 AM, WordWolf said:

This question came up on another thread, and I didn't want it to get lost.  I'm hoping to get some thoughts on this one.

Here's what we know.....

vpw got static for his India trip from his denomination.  He made it independently of anything they said, and they made it crystal clear he was not representing them and was doing this entirely on his own.    vpw CLAIMED he was the first such minister who'd ever taken his ENTIRE family on such a trip (although baby JP was left with his grandparents for all the months of the trip.) 

vpw CLAIMED that the majority of his access was the result of a miraculous healing- an account we all heard in pfal.  Supposedly, vpw was hanging off the back of a train when it was about to move.  A local asked for healing but was specific he didn't believe in Jesus.  vpw supposedly did a miracle that transformed his arm instantly as the train began pulling away. It makes no sense in physics, and is cinematic.  Supposedly, on the same train was some Indian notable who represented some other notable. The one on the train saw the  "miracle" and that's why he got the second notable to open the doors in India to vpw.    

Mrs W's account was rather specific.  Dr I.S. Williams opened all the doors for vpw, and she said nothing about such a miraculous healing. 

As vpw went around the country, he swallowed the line Williams was spouting, and repeated it back- which some locals wanted to hear.   In other words, Williams USED vpw to advance his own agenda, and vpw lacked the wit to see through it.     This carried on all the way through vpw speaking on "The Dilemna of Foreign Missions"- which became a book when someone transcribed hs speech.

Ok, Williams stroked his ego, and that's enough reason for vpw to appear.  Williams offered "secret" (behind-the-scenes) knowledge-  and vpw ALWAYS ate that up no matter how ridiculous it was.      That's enough for why vpw showed up.

Why in the world did vpw drag his FAMILY across India to all these stops?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

WW, interesting post.  I wonder if VPW, wanted to leave Ohio, and see a foreign country, on OPM.  Just a guess, on my part, but perhaps he felt he was entitled to live on other people's money, because he was a MOG,(if only in his mind.)  I think VPW, had a hearing problem; he heard what he wanted to hear, and nothing he didn't.