GreaseSpot Cafe

Day Care Hours

JustAGuyBeingADude

Just wondering since I feel like I missed a good portion of my summers to day care and day camp at TWI. Does anyone know or remember how long they were? I have a feeling that it was 5 hours, 6 if you include the lunch after, but I like to be sure, thanks.

Edited by JustAGuyBeingADude

26 minutes ago, JustAGuyBeingADude said:

Just wondering since I feel like I missed a good portion of my summers to day care and day camp. Does anyone know or remember how long they were? I have a feeling that it was 5 hours, 6 if you include the lunch after, but I like to be sure, thanks.

There's not enough information in your post to answer your question. Please be more specific. Thanks. Who? What? When? Where? How? Why? Those would be some good places to start.

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

There's not enough information in your post to answer your question. Please be more specific. Thanks. Who? What? When? Where? How? Why? Those would be some good places to start.

Right, sorry. At TWI, they have a day care for younger kids and a day camp for kids that have reached school. day care is year round and day camp is during the summer. The people in charge changed and honestly I don't fully remember their names anyway. It doesn't really matter. I was in both for about 3/4ths of the last 20 years, just trying to figure out how much time I lost during my summers that I would have rather spent elsewhere for personal reasons. Is that better? And thank you for the feedback.

9 hours ago, JustAGuyBeingADude said:

Right, sorry. At TWI, they have a day care for younger kids and a day camp for kids that have reached school. day care is year round and day camp is during the summer. The people in charge changed and honestly I don't fully remember their names anyway. It doesn't really matter. I was in both for about 3/4ths of the last 20 years, just trying to figure out how much time I lost during my summers that I would have rather spent elsewhere for personal reasons. Is that better? And thank you for the feedback.

Ok, let's see...   Where?  "At TWI."  Didn't narrow it down as much as he thought it did.

When?   "The last 20 years."   Ok  that narrows down the "when"- which narrows down the "where" as well. 

Someone who was in the last 20 years only may not even know about various campuses.  There's HQ/the farm.  there's "The Way Family Ranch".   So, it was one or the other, or both of those.    If it was in Ohio, it was at HQ/ the farm.  If it was in Colorado in the middle of nowhere, it was the "ranch."    By that time, I think everything else had been sold off.

I was never involved with either of these. I do remember, however, singing "Little Bunny Foo Foo" and "She Sailed Away on a Sunny, Sunny Day" in FellowLaborers of Ohio. (As an adult!) Well, I know that didn't offer much help but it did bring a twisted sort of regretful smile to my face.

14 hours ago, JustAGuyBeingADude said:

just trying to figure out how much time I lost during my summers that I would have rather spent elsewhere for personal reasons. Is that better? And thank you for the feedback.

Thanks for getting somewhat more specific. Since you were a kid, it was your parents' decision. Is that correct?

Quantifying the "time you lost" might just be heading down a counter-productive rabbit hole.

You only have now (in which to make decisions).

That time you spent in TWI day care and day camp just becomes data in the database of your memories to fuel decisions you will get to make on your own now.

What do you do with your time now?

Very true.  I found it not very productive to think of the hours and years dedicated to the way.  But there are wonderful things ahead.

I don't know anything about daycare except back in my day a lot of moms worked part-time and would often watch each other's kids, especially if you were sharing a unit.

Welcome to Grease Spot, Just A Guy!

Sorry I can’t help you concerning your time frame. I left in 1986. The only thing that might be remotely related to your request is to tell you that during my two years of in-residence Family Way Corps training in Rome City I was assigned to day care for a block – my group was called the Cheerful Givers. That was probably one of my favorite job assignments since we had a lot of leeway on designing our own activities and I got into hanging out with little kids anyway. My wife often complains she’s married to a three year old.  :biglaugh:

I am sorry for your time of “confinement” and what you missed out on – and let me just add a parent’s perspective to yours. Our son was about 6 when we left TWI – and after years and continued peeling of the onion, we have not only apologized to him many times but embraced the responsibility – having come to terms with the realization that some of our decisions had consequences on his life as well. I must say our “confinement” as adults in TWI was due to our cult mindset – that is not an excuse to justify or shift the blame for putting our son through that – I merely mention it as an explanation for our faulty decisions and recognizing our responsibility...It’s been some 35 years since we’ve left TWI and our family dynamics are a lot healthier now – and off the top of my head the most important contributing factors have been honesty, respect, empathy and forgiveness.

I am curious – and you don’t have to share anything if you don’t want to – I have a few questions. Have you had any talks about this with your parents? Are they still in TWI? Are you still in? What are some of the things you feel you missed out on? What are some of the things you’re into now and/or want to get into?

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2021 at 3:22 PM, WordWolf said:

Ok, let's see...   Where?  "At TWI."  Didn't narrow it down as much as he thought it did.

When?   "The last 20 years."   Ok  that narrows down the "when"- which narrows down the "where" as well. 

Someone who was in the last 20 years only may not even know about various campuses.  There's HQ/the farm.  there's "The Way Family Ranch".   So, it was one or the other, or both of those.    If it was in Ohio, it was at HQ/ the farm.  If it was in Colorado in the middle of nowhere, it was the "ranch."    By that time, I think everything else had been sold off.

You're absolutely right, I had forgotten about Colorado. I am indeed talking about HQ in New Knoxville Ohio.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:04 PM, Rocky said:

Thanks for getting somewhat more specific. Since you were a kid, it was your parents' decision. Is that correct?

Quantifying the "time you lost" might just be heading down a counter-productive rabbit hole.

You only have now (in which to make decisions).

That time you spent in TWI day care and day camp just becomes data in the database of your memories to fuel decisions you will get to make on your own now.

What do you do with your time now?

Yes, it was indeed my parents decisions. I was born into it. 

You're probably right about the counter-productive rabbit hole and I most certainly do have the now.

I'm going to be a bit vague regarding myself, but I'm currently in college for one of the arts, writing papers as it's close to finals week. Trying to go around and socialize the best I can.

On 5/4/2021 at 12:23 AM, T-Bone said:

I am curious – and you don’t have to share anything if you don’t want to – I have a few questions. Have you had any talks about this with your parents? Are they still in TWI? Are you still in? What are some of the things you feel you missed out on? What are some of the things you’re into now and/or want to get into?

Thank you for the welcome!

I have had a few talks, yes. I think they recognize that where we were at HQ, it wasn't the best place in the world to be a child. I'm almost certain that they still believe in a good number of TWI's teachings, so they might have some inner conflict with that. I'm very much not still in. To be quite honest even if I said that I missed a good portion of my summers, I probably would have done similar things to what we did during the play time, just in the comfort of my own or somebody else's home. Minus the bible teachings and some of the games we played outside. There would be times though when I would want to do something or make something and I couldn't because it wasn't edifying. I think it was the people in charge who mainly ruined the experiences for me. Currently I'm interested in the arts. I like creative writing and drawing. I think it'd be cool to be involved in a video game story-wise. Nothing can bring a story to life for me quite like playing through it as one of the characters.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JustAGuyBeingADude said:

(SNIP)

...Currently I'm interested in the arts. I like creative writing and drawing. I think it'd be cool to be involved in a video game story-wise. Nothing can bring a story to life for me quite like playing through it as one of the characters.

sounds like fun! And don’t forget the graphic novel – that might be another outlet for your creativity along with video games. My son gave me the graphic novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (which was the inspiration for the movie Blade Runner) – story by Philip K. Dick and art by Tony Parker...I have two different versions of a Dracula graphic novel and some super-hero graphic novels on Kindle...but anyway – back to you - I am blown away by how realistic looking some video games are now...I wish you good luck and good story telling on your journey!

12 hours ago, JustAGuyBeingADude said:

Currently I'm interested in the arts. I like creative writing and drawing. I think it'd be cool to be involved in a video game story-wise. Nothing can bring a story to life for me quite like playing through it as one of the characters.

Good for you. Humans are ALL about stories and have been for millenia.