GreaseSpot Cafe

The "Second Wave" of returning to PFAL has started

Mike

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

Colossians 3:12 - referring to an emotional experience of said diet

Dueteronomy 23:13 - . . . Did you think the fun would last?

I always got a kick out of reading “bowels of mercies” in King James – check here Colossians 3:12 – Bible Hub < click here to see alternate versions    -   Young's Literal Translation, Douay-Rheims Bible, and King James are the only versions listed on Bible Hub website that retain that quaint expression…I find stuff like that fascinating.

Your    Deuteronomy 23:13     of properly cleaning up after yourself in the great outdoors – brought back my LEAD experience…we had to do that – and were also instructed to put used T.P. in a baggy – which we would later throw into the campfire.

47 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

I always got a kick out of reading “bowels of mercies” in King James – check here Colossians 3:12 – Bible Hub < click here to see alternate versions    -   Young's Literal Translation, Douay-Rheims Bible, and King James are the only versions listed on Bible Hub website that retain that quaint expression…I find stuff like that 

I shoulda been clear on that.  I think I read that bowels . . Such as Intestines, even kidneys were once commonly used to express what later we use the word heart to express.  Honestly I think both locations are accurate.

For out of the heart/bowels proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.,These are the things which defiled a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.

6 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Honestly I think both locations are accurate.

Such expressions are idioms, not scientific nomenclature. It's a matter of what the sayer intended to communicate about an emotional condition or event. 

5 hours ago, Rocky said:

Such expressions are idioms, not scientific nomenclature. It's a matter of what the sayer intended to communicate about an emotional condition or event. 

You're probably right.

I was thinking in terms of King James English when I made the joke.  T-Bone pointed out other translations use the word heart.  

Use of "bowels" or "heart" can give a different mind picture to the modern reader . . . Which is humorous.

I was also considering we feel emotions in our chest or in our gut or both.  Scientifically perhaps these feelings originate and are technically in our heads.

Thankfully.  . . There's PLAF and a handful of simple keys to interpolation we can use to clear all this up like a hand in a glove. :wink2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Thankfully.  . . There's PLAF and a handful of simple keys to interpolation we can use to clear all this up like a hand in a glove. :wink2:

I have always been easily entertained by the sounds of words. The first time I remember hearing the word “interpolation” was in the PFAL class. My brain often does this weird “check against existing files” when I hear a new word. I thought it was related to the word “interloper” since it sounded like a word I was familiar with…anyway…It happened again this morning when I read Bolshevik’s post…so in the spirit of wash-and-wear-logic that still needs to be sent to the cleaners, I submit the following as I ask you: coincidence – or the incidence of coins in a slot machine? Either way it’s all a crapshoot.

Interpolation:  the insertion of something of a different nature into something else; the introduction or insertion of something spurious or foreign.

Interloper: a person who becomes involved in a place or situation where they are not wanted or are considered not to belong; one that intrudes in a place or sphere of activity.

In the verbal atrocity of my universe interloper and interpolation seem to go together like a card shark and marked cards…maybe I should write a book:

"Interlopers and Their Interpolations: Con Artists, Cult-leaders, the Contrivances of Corruption and All the $hit that does NOT belong in My Life!"     maybe I could get Simon & Shyster to publish it...they'll probably tell me to shorten the title - I think Rocky works there. :rolleyes:

Edited by T-Bone
The interloper, in a fit of interpolation deliberately edited the wrong post
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T-Bone said:

"Interlopers and Their Interpolations: Con Artists, Cult-leaders, the Contrivances of Corruption and All the $hit that does NOT belong in My Life!"     maybe I could get Simon & Shyster to publish it...they'll probably tell me to shorten the title - I think Rocky works there. :rolleyes:

I just volunteer in my spare time. :wink2:

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

I just volunteer in my spare time. :wink2:

jeepers, Rocky, you do pro bono work too! You’re alright! Thanks!

Better that you’re pro-Bono than pro-PFAL anyway…there’s always a need for more talented singer-songwriters, activists, and philanthropists…we don’t need another plagiarist / con artist.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

jeepers, Rocky, you do pro bono work too! You’re alright! Thanks!

Better that you’re pro-Bono than pro-PFAL anyway…there’s always a need for more talented singer-songwriters, activists, and philanthropists…we don’t need another plagiarist / con artist.

Thanks T. I've been reflecting some lately on the fact that we're nearly 40 years out from the first big exodus and we're living a more abundantly rich inner life than we ever did in TWI. So much for Loy's proclamation that we'd be greasespots by midnight. :dance:

On 5/6/2021 at 11:04 AM, Mike said:

I am convinced that 99% of all the woes reported here are due to us all NOT GETTING IT RIGHT  the first times.

Hi Mike,

would you please elaborate on that

what are “the Woes” that standout the most?

what was/were the thing/things that people  didn’t get right the first time?

10 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

But why can't we all just accept responsibility for our failure to be perfect at all times and in all things?   It's not PFAL's fault . . . 

Excuse me, Sir. Did you drop this?:... /s

Edited by waysider

:wave:  :wave:

My second wave.  Note the smile on the face, as I wave GOODBYE to PFAL, TWI and all associated whatevers.  

Actually, I like this picture better:

image.jpeg

See the peaceful, cleansing wave, washing and smoothing the beach, washing away the "sand in the machinery of life" and the fear instilled by TWI in the heart of "believers."

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2022 at 5:21 AM, T-Bone said:

Hi Mike,

would you please elaborate on that

what are “the Woes” that standout the most?

what was/were the thing/things that people  didn’t get right the first time?

Ok, here is a short elaboration.

I had posted much earlier:

On 5/6/2021 at 9:04 AM, Mike said:

I am convinced that 99% of all the woes reported here are due to us all NOT GETTING IT RIGHT  the first times.

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

T-Bone, you ask about the woes that stand out TO WHOM the most?  

I suggest you ask the same question of God, when He talks about these kinds of things.  What kinds of multitudinous sins do you think God had in mind when He inspired Peter to write the following?

1 Peter 4:8 NIV
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

If we had gotten the LOVE part right, things would have gone better.  How badly do you crave seeing a multitude of sins covered over with love?  Do you think much on this verse, in this GreaseSpot atmosphere of exposing sins?

Peter was not the only spiritual person who loved the idea of having love cover sins.

Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers all transgressions.

Proverbs 17:9
Whoever conceals an offense promotes love, but he who brings it up separates friends.

1 Corinthians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

James 5:20
consider this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

Colossians 3:14
And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

T-Bone, please let me know what you learn from all these verses, and about what specific kinds of woes we could have avoided, had we gotten down better the love part.