GreaseSpot Cafe

Let's pay to go to online church

Twinky

I just found this: The Way International News and Events | Digital Sunday Teaching Service Subscriptions 

At the January 3 Sunday Teaching Service, it was announced that beginning January 31, 2021, The Way International will make available a new way to subscribe to the Sunday Teaching Service—digitally! This subscription will allow individuals to download digital files of the Sunday service each week to their computer or other device. With this new subscription type, subscribers will have access to

both the audio and video recordings of the Sunday service: a high-quality MP3 audio and a high-definition MP4 video file...

...A digital subscription only costs US$2 per week both in the United States and in our International Outreach Countries.

Edited by Twinky

Of course, you can still subscribe for CDs and DVDs: The Way International News and Events | The Sunday Teaching Service—Available in Your Own Home

Huh.  They always did charge for the CDs or audio tapes or whatever they were.  I could understand that they might want to cover postage.  But to charge for online??

Gosh!  Every other church I know does livestream AND usually makes available on a YouTube channel - FREE!!  Anybody can look in.  Hey, for starters, here's last Sunday's service.  Part live, part pre-recorded.  But hey!  Things will be back to all-live very soon.  (1) 16 May 2021 - 10.30 service at Holy Trinity Combe Down - YouTube.  We are one church in four different locations; get a great welcome at each one.

And guess what?!  Our livestream is available to people all over the world (we have one regular joiner from Spain), and people up and down the UK join us.  Now we are allowed back to worship in our buildings, we've found that we have new people joining us in person... because they found our streamed service and wanted more of that, in reality in their lives.

Of course you can still subscribe!

A) They're charging for everything because twi, traditionally, has always charged for everything.  There was a tiny window when that wasn't the case, and that was gone by 1990.   They're determined to MAKE A PROFIT off their data connection, same as with anything else.

B)  Of course you're still able to buy the CDs or DVDS.  Under Rosa-lie if not sooner, everyone was REQUIRED to get the CDs/DVDs/tapes in some form whether or not they'd heard the connection live.   Again, it's all organized to turn a profit.  Someone could show up Sunday and listen to the audio hookup, then participate during the week when the local twig went over the content,  and ALSO have a copy for personal use., As the substance thinned, it became mandatory to buy the same thing multiple times in different forms.

From first seeing these tv preachers in the 60’s, all they know about is getting rich. Billy Graham probably was the best tv preacher to convince people he was legit. Money, money, money. All are multi millionaires and act like they are  so concerned about their large audiences. It drives me nuts when Franklin Graham gets on tv begging for money from people who cannot afford it, to send to hurricane hit areas, while his bank account has $millions. 
Give your money to local churches.

Edited by Stayed Too Long

2 hours ago, Stayed Too Long said:

Give your money to local churches.

It's your hard-earned money that these people are spending.  Yes - give locally, where you can see what the church is doing.  Give generously - but give wisely.   

Also give to genuinely worthwhile charities - you should be able to check out a charity to see its status and effectiveness - there are websites dedicated to assessing charities' effectiveness.  There are very good charities that won't score highly on such assessment sites, so find out at a local level what they do.  Part of my personal "scoring" level is the things I am thankful for (good, free, healthcare, clean water etc) and give to charities supporting those aims in impoverished areas or countries.

No prizes for giving to a fraudster, dropping dollars into a money sink, or impoverishing oneself to enrich another who is already plenty rich.  These prosperity gospel preachers are in it for themselves only, and are taking the Lord's name in vain. 

You'll notice Jesus didn't travel by jet plane - or even "express donkey."  

I got a chuckle out of their verbage here:

This subscription will allow individuals to download digital files of the Sunday service each week to their computer or other device

WTF other kind of file can be downloaded from the internet besides a digital one? Kinda of like "over 30 international countries."

4 hours ago, OldSkool said:

I got a chuckle out of their verbage here:

WTF other kind of file can be downloaded from the internet besides a digital one? Kinda of like "over 30 international countries."

or, 10 am in the morning... :confused: :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It's just looks like an add on for existing "subscribers" - they ask for your "customer number" when you "subscribe". If you're an existing customer/member of The Way you already have one. 

Non customer/members have to contact the "Bookstore" by phone or mail to buy individually. 

When you read it closely what they're selling is access. The stuff you get is whatever that access gives you, in this case it's a "digital" product. 

They're using the same ol' convoluted control mechanisms wrapped in new money - $2 a pop. 

Edited by socks
same as it ever was. no diggity

Hey Socks!  Long time no see!  Welcome back.

Yes, exactly.  I wonder if a digital subscription like this is going to become "required purchasing."  I am fairly certain that most (all?) people who post here would not be welcome to subscribe.

Feel free to visit most normal religious organisations, for free services and teachings.

4 hours ago, Twinky said:

Hey Socks!  Long time no see!  Welcome back.

Yes, exactly.  I wonder if a digital subscription like this is going to become "required purchasing."  I am fairly certain that most (all?) people who post here would not be welcome to subscribe.

Feel free to visit most normal religious organisations, for free services and teachings.

Thanks!

I found this news to be so clearly indicative of the root problem of the Way's pay-for-pray teaching ministry. 

There's always money involved. 

"Cheap and cheesy" perfectly describes the Way. 

anyway...PEACE KIDS! 

Edited by socks
If not me, than where? If not now, then who? If not this, then why?
  • Upvote 1

Maybe this was noted before? Anywho, this is a good one too:

In light of this release, the Board of Directors want to bless our new subscribers. Those who start a digital subscription before February 1, 2021, will receive all the services beginning with the seventy-eighth anniversary through the January 24 Sunday Teaching Service at no extra charge (sixteen services free)! The January 31 Sunday Teaching Service will be the first service on a digital subscription.

Sixteen services FREE!!!! Unbelievable. Their followers, and I used to be one, give 10 to 15% or more of their paychecks to these guys and they get a whopping sixteen services for free? Wow - that has a whopping value of $32.00. I hate to sound like a critic here, but that's a really pathetic excuse at "building value" in sales parlance. But, Ill just leave all these guys in the ditch at this point. They seem to be happy there. 

I noticed that, too.  I thought it too pathetic to even mention.  Such an amazing offering.... not.

• 3 months later...

There is a guy that occupies a street corner not too far from where I live.  He has a sign that says "Need Spare Change For Beer". I give that guy a dollar every time  I pass by.   I appreciate his honesty. He gets "blessed" and at least I know where my money is going.

6 hours ago, Goeytex said:

There is a guy that occupies a street corner not too far from where I live.  He has a sign that says "Need Spare Change For Beer". I give that guy a dollar every time  I pass by.   I appreciate his honesty. He gets "blessed" and at least I know where my money is going.

Complete transparency. You will never find anywhere a public expense report from the way international. They have no accountability to those who donate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, chockfull said:

You used to be able to find annual revenue reports for them.  That is how everyone knows about the 65 million in assets.  But they have found a way to obscure those also.

It was through the Arizona Corporation Commission. The Arizona Legislature changed the requirements.