GreaseSpot Cafe

Int'l Cultic Studies Assoc -- Malignant Narcissism as the core madness of the cult leader

Rocky

Friday, June 4th NOON till 3pm EDT

Webinar Information by psychotherapist, presenter Charles Zeiders

Malignant narcissism, the presenters argue, characterizes the core psychopathology of the cult leader. Drawing from their recent book, Malignant Narcissism and Power: A Psychodynamic Exploration of Madness and Leadership (Routledge, 2020), presenters Charles Zeiders, Psy.D. and Peter Devlin, LGSW will generate a profile of the Malignant Narcissist Leader (MNL). Via case studies, their workshop will unpack the malignant leader’s rise and fall, and the deleterious impact from the malignant leader’s selfish, but bizarrely seductive, manipulative, and coercive behavior. The presenters will reveal the malignant leader’s core character traits: Narcissism, Criminality, Paranoia, and Sadism. Drawing on cult studies, forensic psychology, and the humanities, they will depict the malignant narcissist in leadership as a trans-historical, cross-cultural phenomenon.

Covered will be the dynamics of cultic totalitarianism to answer the question: how does the mad leader form followers and gain ascendance? How does the mad leader transform normal people, families, and organizations to his insanely controlled cultic regimes? For attendees fascinated by organizational (mis) development, a totalitarian sampler will be offered depicting diverse cult leaders in the context of their high-pressure organizations, with remarks as to the clinical features of patients who dissent from the MNL’s vindictive domination. The presenters will discuss how cult leaders cause a perversion of utopia, and shall offer clinically helpful notions about the MNL’s so-called god-drive, sexuality, and relation to Freud’s primal horde theory. 

*looks it over*

It's available for a donation or for free, but you have to sign up to attend in advance, so that's important to know.

Any idea if they will make it available to view afterwards?     This looks pretty weighty but informative for those who can attend.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:25 PM, WordWolf said:

*looks it over*

It's available for a donation or for free, but you have to sign up to attend in advance, so that's important to know.

Any idea if they will make it available to view afterwards?     This looks pretty weighty but informative for those who can attend.

The fee is for professionals wanting continuing education credits. I don't know if a recording will be made available afterwards. I registered without financial cost.

I also have pdf files with the powerpoint slides presented by each of the two scholars. If anyone is interested, send me a private message with your email address and I'll send them to you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 7:48 PM, Rocky said:

I now DO know that a recording was made. It's not the most dynamic presentation (to put it mildly). Here it is.

well you weren't kidding...must be I'm so use to lively and entertaining TED talks - this is more like an audible book...but - I like books - and I am fascinated by the points they made

On 6/4/2021 at 7:52 PM, Rocky said:

I also have pdf files with the powerpoint slides presented by each of the two scholars. If anyone is interested, send me a private message with your email address and I'll send them to you.

yeah - I'll  PM  you for that...

Rocky, thanks for posting this.

Edited by T-Bone
typos

6 hours ago, T-Bone said:

well you weren't kidding...must be I'm so use to lively and entertaining TED talks - this is more like an audible book...but - I like books - and I am fascinated by the points they made

yeah - I'll  PM  you for that...

Rocky, thanks for posting this.

LOL... I like books too, but when I read, it's my voice in my head. I like my voice. :wink2:

Let me know if you get the files.

41 minutes ago, Rocky said:

LOL... I like books too, but when I read, it's my voice in my head. I like my voice. :wink2:

Let me know if you get the files.

Yup - got the files and they work ! 

when I read I try not to subvocalize - since I don't like the sound of my own voice...I don't think band members ever liked the sound of my voice either - "you just stick with the bass, Kid"...but you know, in my mind my bass playing always sounded real good. :biglaugh:

• 3 weeks later...

"Prior to his death the loss of narcissistic supplies from worshipful sycophants causes a mental breakdown characterized by observable psychosis in the courtroom".  About 23 minutes in.

Refering to the Japanese culture leader.

Fascinating they can be "starved to death" like that.  Hilighting they need the rest of us far more than we need them.

VPW's final days?  I assume he went through withdrawal?

12 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

"Prior to his death the loss of narcissistic supplies from worshipful sycophants causes a mental breakdown characterized by observable psychosis in the courtroom".  About 23 minutes in.

Fascinating they can be "starved to death" like that.  Highlighting they need the rest of us far more than we need them.

I believe you are right on the money with that observation.

9 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Fascinating they can be "starved to death" like that.  Hilighting they need the rest of us far more than we need them.

No one's ever asked that before!

In his final few years, he was not only no longer the center of attention, he was being actively pushed aside and ignored.  He flew to the UK so chris geer could suck up to him and assure him the sun rose out of his navel.    After vpw passed away, geer showed up at HQ with a gun and a manifesto- the 40-page letter about how everybody else failed vpw and were all the problems of twi without naming one specific.   That 40-page letter was POP- Passing of the Patriarch.

Well the "need to feed" on others makes me wonder wtf narcissists had to do during quarantine . . . all alone . . . isolated

They love their reflection off of other people . . . they cannot "self-reflect" . . . that's torture

They want everyone else isolated . . . can you self-reflect when you're two-by-two with WOW Believer every f'ing second of the day?

The painting in the video is nice but there's one by Waterhouse circa 1903 which also depicts Echo . . . kinda important in that dynamic. JMO

Interesting, Bolshy one.

Divorce consultations are also often higher in January, after people have been at home with their spouses for longer than usual periods.

People don't know how to provide their Narcissist supply properly.  There should be a class.

"Power For Feeding Your Narcissist."

Not catchy enough.  Maybe a little too forward.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

People don't know how to provide their Narcissist supply properly.  There should be a class.

"Power For Feeding Your Narcissist."

Not catchy enough.  Maybe a little too forward.  

:confused::doh::eusa_clap::jump:

Often I read the term "charismatic leader" as part of understanding a "cult leader".  Usually we're trying to describe something we view as negative.  "charismatic leader" I think is a neutral term.  Doesn't mean good or bad.  ("cult" doesn't always mean negative either)

narcissism, malignant narcissism . . . I feel this makes things less subjective . . . more specific . . . there is a specific issue within that leader that can be characterized . . . and their perceived "uniqueness" can therefore vaporize . . . predictions and patterns across multiple groups are more easily recognized.  Communication about what's happening can be made clearer.

just my opinion

narc.png

Hopefully the image went through . . . I think Malignant Narcissist  are also described the light blue "primary psychopathy narcissistic personalities" or psychotic narcissists . . . or maybe "primary psychopathy narcissistic and antisocial personalities" . .  ooohhhh . . . .  Maybe interchangeable terms.

A fun note is that Tony Soprano's mother on the HBO show was a borderline.   I think the actress nailed it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/inside-the-criminal-mind/202002/the-narcissist-criminal

People with a narcissistic personality disorder are “criminals” even if they do not ever get arrested. Their “sense of entitlement,” “unreasonable expectations” and “lack of sensitivity to the rules of others” result in injury to others. They manipulate and exploit people in their unceasing efforts to build themselves up. Their “contemptuous” and “impatient” behavior has a negative impact on others. The people who suffer the most are those closest to them. . . .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, Rocky said:

Years ago I read this book, written by a man diagnosed as a narcissist.  Very educational!

https://www.amazon.com/Malignant-Self-Love-Narcissism-Sam-Vaknin/dp/8023833847/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Malignant+Self-Love%3A+Narcissism+Revisited&qid=1632156384&sr=8-1