GreaseSpot Cafe

Twi-Servitude

skyrider

How often does twi promote "Come, work on staff at hq" to advanced class students?

How many newly-corps graduates are *assigned* to work staff-servitude at headquarters each year?

Time and again, twi brochures promote the corps program as a lifetime of Christian service.....sending men and women forth to "move the word."  YET, every year it seems that twi assigns 25% - 33% (if 12 graduate from corps, then 3 or 4) are lassoed for staff jobs.  The pay sucks.  The novelty of being around spiritual bigwigs wears off.  No upward mobility to speak of......and who wants to be micro-managed for years?  Besides, if monotony does kill you.....boredom will.

Anyone who has a lick of self-motivation and dignity sees how staff-servitude is a dead-end job.  At the bottom end of a seniority list.....the newly-corps grad must live on grounds in a trailer unit or founders hall.  There is no such thing as a weekend......and surveillance of one's actions is 24/7.  Twi loves to exploit the youth when their energy level is high, perception is generally low.....and they've been trained to obey upon command.  Usually, after two or three years -- the light bulb goes off.

I just finished the Netflix series on Downton Abbey.  I'm sure that they took plenty of liberties to add drama and flare to this 6 Season series (2010-2015)....but there seems to be some documentation to this privileged life in the past few centuries.  Those *above the stairs* were waited on at their beckon call with endless dinners, social events, dignitary gatherings, royalty visits, and pampering at every turn.  Those *below the stairs* had their own caste system of hierarchy.... the butler, valets, footmen, lady's maids, head house manager, head cook, assistants, etc. etc.  And, (spoiler alert)........ by the end of the 6th Season, this way of life (in 1925) is COMING TO AN END.

Those *below the stairs* know that working in service is fading away.  There is NO future in it....for the youth.  They need to find their own way forward to secure their future, livelihood and retirement.  Sure, an old stately butler can live out the remainder of his years basking in his staff-servitude to his lordship.....but that's about all.  The financial troubles of the great castles and prominent mansions are mounting and the structures are under constant repair.  Having 30, 40 or 60 on payroll to sustain the grandeur of its prominence is biting into its longevity.

And, I would contend that twi/staff servitude is the same.  Long gone are the days when 450-490 staffers filled departments ranging from Reflections, Bookstore, Divine Design, Carpeting, Cabinet Shop and Upholstery. Those who live on grounds and receive meager wages for their work will pay the price down the road.  That is why, I believe..... that twi hq is a shell of its former self.  The days of exploiting (most) staffers is over!! People DO NOT STAY....because it is obviously not in their self-interest to stay.  

Those *below the stairs* see how the game is played......and plan accordingly.

Edited by skyrider
typos
  • Upvote 2

Wierwille seemed to love all the pampering and adulation.

Back in the 1970s......wierwille's valet was a devoted man especially with the arrival of Geer.  Not only was he wierwille's valet, but also bus driver, bodyguard, procurer of women, guardian of secrets, loyal servant and caretaker of wierwille's legacy.  Who could ask for anything more?

If wierwille wanted his favorite German meal prepared, then the order was carried out.  When music was desired, Way Productions performed on a Saturday Night on the blacktop near the wierwille home.  In the summer's night air, wierwille liked to engage in a night owl around a meticulous campfire setting where he could sip on his Drambuie coffee and pontificate about his ancestral heritage and spiritual undertakings.  Whether at the "head table" or in the Green Room before teachings, vpw was served coffee in the finest cups.  On grounds, wierwille held lordship and title over his estate.

The twi-compound was not a stately castle or prominent mansion.......but, nonetheless --- servants were everywhere tasked to follow wierwille's demands.  With some 20 years of this GSC-site, we now know many of the secrets and sordid details that the valets and lady's maids kept hidden from view.

16 hours ago, skyrider said:

And, (spoiler alert)........ by the end of the 6th Season, this way of life (in 1925) is COMING TO AN END.

Actually, what did for "that way of life" was really the two world wars.  Men were conscripted to fight in the army.  It opened their eyes to new possibilities - as new surroundings always should.  Big landowners couldn't manage the lands as efficiently. 

What's more, there were huge taxes (inheritance tax charged on assets of all kinds - land and houses and possessions) that meant that much had to be sold to pay those taxes.  Huge landholdings were broken up.  This, of course, affected both good landowners and greedy ones who didn't take care of the staff.

Unfortunately, nearly all societies have their hierarchies - look at (say) Saudi Arabia, fine if you a male in the royal family, not so good if you are a female, and terrible if you are a national.  Re-read some or George Orwell's work: "All animals are equal... but some animals are more equal than others."

In those "all societies" there are groups, clubs, organisations.   And cults.  All these religious cults seem to have a person of great influence and charisma at the head - usually but not always a male.  And they subjugate their congregations.  And they especially subjugate their female congregants.  TWI, despite its claims otherwise, is nothing special in this regard.  Unfortunately.  An absolutely text-book bog-standard abusive religious cult.

I've never seen Downton Abbey (despite it being filmed in part near where I live).  I wonder if they dealt at any stage with the sexual abuse that went on in some households?  The master of the house having his way with the maids?  The sons of the household learning about sexual activity with the maids?  And the casting out of maids who became pregnant, chucking them out with no reference (which pretty much made sure they couldn't get another job) and accepting no responsibility for the child.  Such women were considered morally repugnant - of loose morals and they'd corrupt the household (ie, the lord of the household and his sons).  It was never seen the other way around!

Lest you think this was confined to the upper classes of the UK: "No, I did not have sex with that woman!"

7 hours ago, Twinky said:

Actually, what did for "that way of life" was really the two world wars.  Men were conscripted to fight in the army.  It opened their eyes to new possibilities - as new surroundings always should.  Big landowners couldn't manage the lands as efficiently. 

What's more, there were huge taxes (inheritance tax charged on assets of all kinds - land and houses and possessions) that meant that much had to be sold to pay those taxes.  Huge landholdings were broken up.  This, of course, affected both good landowners and greedy ones who didn't take care of the staff.

Unfortunately, nearly all societies have their hierarchies - look at (say) Saudi Arabia, fine if you a male in the royal family, not so good if you are a female, and terrible if you are a national.  Re-read some or George Orwell's work: "All animals are equal... but some animals are more equal than others."

In those "all societies" there are groups, clubs, organisations.   And cults.  All these religious cults seem to have a person of great influence and charisma at the head - usually but not always a male.  And they subjugate their congregations.  And they especially subjugate their female congregants.  TWI, despite its claims otherwise, is nothing special in this regard.  Unfortunately.  An absolutely text-book bog-standard abusive religious cult.

I've never seen Downton Abbey (despite it being filmed in part near where I live).  I wonder if they dealt at any stage with the sexual abuse that went on in some households?  The master of the house having his way with the maids?  The sons of the household learning about sexual activity with the maids?  And the casting out of maids who became pregnant, chucking them out with no reference (which pretty much made sure they couldn't get another job) and accepting no responsibility for the child.  Such women were considered morally repugnant - of loose morals and they'd corrupt the household (ie, the lord of the household and his sons).  It was never seen the other way around!

Lest you think this was confined to the upper classes of the UK: "No, I did not have sex with that woman!"

Well, since you haven't seen this Downton Abbey series......it does cover two or three situations regarding sexual abuse.  Rape in one situation.  Casting out a maid who became pregnant in another situation.

Like all posts.....there is no way to cover the whole spectrum of "servitude" in one post.  

20 hours ago, skyrider said:

Wierwille seemed to love all the pampering and adulation.

Back in the 1970s......wierwille's valet was a devoted man especially with the arrival of Geer.  Not only was he wierwille's valet, but also bus driver, bodyguard, procurer of women, guardian of secrets, loyal servant and caretaker of wierwille's legacy.  Who could ask for anything more?

If wierwille wanted his favorite German meal prepared, then the order was carried out.  When music was desired, Way Productions performed on a Saturday Night on the blacktop near the wierwille home.  In the summer's night air, wierwille liked to engage in a night owl around a meticulous campfire setting where he could sip on his Drambuie coffee and pontificate about his ancestral heritage and spiritual undertakings.  Whether at the "head table" or in the Green Room before teachings, vpw was served coffee in the finest cups.  On grounds, wierwille held lordship and title over his estate.

The twi-compound was not a stately castle or prominent mansion.......but, nonetheless --- servants were everywhere tasked to follow wierwille's demands.  With some 20 years of this GSC-site, we now know many of the secrets and sordid details that the valets and lady's maids kept hidden from view.

Wierwille stumbled and bumbled his way thru life.......and, seemingly, his Dad died about the right time for vpw to pull up stakes in Van Wert and move his operation back to the wierwille homestead.  After about 15 years of meager results (1957-1972)......classes, summer camps, outreach efforts.....wierwille formulated a "leadership training program" with staff support on the 147-acre property.  Incremental steps.....but having peers guide, motivate and inspire other youth seemed to be the ticket forward.  Way Corps 1-5 became a backbone of strength and inspiration.....as the Rock of Ages became a pilgrimage for the youth throughout the 70s and early 80s.

From 1976-1984.....there was exponential growth.  The corps program had "elder corps" who mentored and held seniority over "younger corps."  Servants over servants over servants.  Most recognized that wierwille had devised a tier-system.....and the only way to move upward was to take the advanced class and then, even, go corps.  Even staffers were highly encouraged to go thru the corps program.  Some immediately after corps graduation were reinstated with their old staff position.  Huh?  LOL.  The corps nametag carried its hierarchical status.  The wood-grained staff nametag was treasured.

Of course, those who've read wierwille's corps letters [link]......know that as early as 1977, corps were abandoning wierwille.  The corps-servants were leaving twi.  The staff-servants were moving onto greener pastures.  Only those who are fixated in twi-nostalgia cleave to "good old days."  

Edited by skyrider

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

Of course, those who've read wierwille's corps letters [link]......know that as early as 1977, corps were abandoning wierwille.  The corps-servants were leaving twi.  The staff-servants were moving onto greener pastures.  Only those who are fixated in twi-nostalgia cleave to "good old days."  

Here is one where wierwille was whining about corpse abandoning their "duty" to God (i.e. to The Way).

Blah blah blah.  What about his own respect for his own ordination vows?

56 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Here is one where wierwille was whining about corpse abandoning their "duty" to God (i.e. to The Way).

"The privilege and responsibility of being Corps should hit you bigger and bigger --- day after day and week after week if you are awake to see what is happening in our country and the world.  I doubt if anyone besides the Corps has undertaken such an awesome responsibility for centuries."

Centuries???  :rolleyes:

Oh my!  Notice how wierwille (and all slick con men) speak in vague generalities.  Yeah, you corps are **awesome** as long as you follow me.  As his narcissism blinds him from reality, wierwille becomes a legend in his own mind.  What must he be thinking?  That he is like another Apostle Paul having come forth centuries later......to awaken the world to his pfal class?

THIS CORPS LETTER closes with......"This letter is for Corps only." 

The secrecy of his "success" was the secrecy of his moves.  :spy:

28 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Blah blah blah.  What about his own respect for his own ordination vows?

Sometimes people don’t want to hear the truth because they don’t want their illusions destroyed.     

Friedrich Nietzsche

I think another aspect of servitude and the way corps was the warm and fuzzy assumption that service to the ministry was service to God...at least I used to think that anyway...and what comes to mind now is the Martha and Mary priority dilemma  in   Luke 10: 38 -42   :

38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, 42 but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” 

My takeaways from the account in light of this thread: Martha was so preoccupied with the details of serving that she forgot the importance of their guest – Jesus Christ – and that he was teaching !!!!! ...my  fed-up-sideways application of this passage to TWI servitude is that I went into the way corps to learn how to best serve The Way Ministry – a ministry based on wierwille's idea that “The Word” takes the place of the absent Christ...I guess that makes me the Martha in this situation. But you gotta give the Marys a lot of credit who realized TWI was missing the guest of honor and so they left TWI and joined a Christ-centered church.

Edited by T-Bone
formatting & typos

3 hours ago, skyrider said:

"The privilege and responsibility of being Corps should hit you bigger and bigger --- day after day and week after week if you are awake to see what is happening in our country and the world.  I doubt if anyone besides the Corps has undertaken such an awesome responsibility for centuries."

Centuries???  :rolleyes:

Oh my!  Notice how wierwille (and all slick con men) speak in vague generalities.  Yeah, you corps are **awesome** as long as you follow me.  As his narcissism blinds him from reality, wierwille becomes a legend in his own mind.  What must he be thinking?  That he is like another Apostle Paul having come forth centuries later......to awaken the world to his pfal class?

THIS CORPS LETTER closes with......"This letter is for Corps only." 

The secrecy of his "success" was the secrecy of his moves.  :spy:

A demonstration of wierwille's malignant narcissism. He thought and acted like he was the Big Cheese. Pffft!

8 hours ago, Rocky said:

A demonstration of wierwille's malignant narcissism. He thought and acted like he was the Big Cheese. Pffft!

Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial behavior, aggression and sadism.  Delving deeper into this mixture, one finds emotional cruelty purposefully manipulating others through the use of fear.  And, throughout this manipulation.....there is an extreme lack of empathy for one's troubles and plight.  Inevitably, one's fear only reinforces and empowers the narcissist.

As corps and staff, I witnessed firsthand cruelty of others by wierwille.  

Here are 3 such incidents:

In 1980, in the BRC.....a group of six were seated up front to share about their experiences and learning at "The Tracker" seminar where Tom Brown Jr. taught skills of tracking and survival. Remember, from 1976-1981, twi and, specifically, the corps program was heavily engaged in a sub-theme of "mobile abundant living" [MAL-packs] in the event of an American government overthrow. Thus, some corps and others went to learn from the man who was "the master of tracking" - Tom Brown Jr.

During this BRC gathering, wierwille was seated near the front on the side. All six members had come prepared to share their learning experience to those of us, 90-120 people, in an evening gathering. Going down the line, each shared about ten minutes and how learning is exciting and all. BUT.....this nice, pleasant evening was just about to take a jaded turn as the fourth person shared his experience. He was 8th corps and had a deep enthusiasm for all-things nature, had built a small cabin years before, and an ego to match. Not sure if he spoke longer than his slotted time frame, but superlatives were attached to Tom Brown's skills and teaching. Tom Brown was the master, the man in the spotlight, the man to teach anyone about life and living!!

Well.....wiewille couldn't stand it any longer. With fire in his eyes, he jumped up and unloaded with vehement, frothing-at-the-mouth anger! This 8th corps guy was "POSSESSED," he thundered with a vengence. For a moment, I actually thought wierwille was going to throw a punch and deck the guy. He was that furious. He railed and railed. I found myself in a whirlwind of thoughts, "What the he!! is going on here? Is this guy really possessed? Are we going to see devil spirits cast out? Oh, my!" Wierwille thundered onward....there seemed to be no end.

Finally, the fury stopped as wierwille headed for the backroom of the BRC. The silence in the room was deafening as Johnnie T. came forward to tag-team the meltdown. Another ten minutes of justifying wierwille's fury and Johnnie dismissed us. As I walked back to my unit, I wondered why wierwille didn't cast out any spirits.....IF this guy was indeed possessed. My respect for wierwille had, once again, diminished in my eyes.

Amazingly, the head-to-head confrontation did NOT crush this 8th corps guy nor his testimony....in my opinion. And perhaps, that is why the confrontation lasted so long. WIERWILLE COULD NOT STAND ANOTHER MAN, TOM BROWN, LAUDED AS A GREAT MAN AND TEACHER.

Another Wierwille Confrontation...

While at headquarters my final year of inresidence corps......a nightowl was scheduled in the Way Woods. The night was pleasant and, as we walked past the George Jess memorial, a crackling fire welcomed us with curling flames and warmth. For me, I was thankful to be outdoors and soak in the sounds and smells of nature.

As always, the corps coordinator handles the initial stages of corps gatherings before wierwille steps in. This seems to be standard twi protocol, much like a warm-up band takes the stage before the marquee band takes the music and crowd to a whole new level. Anyways, that is the way it's always done....and probably, will stay. When wierwille enters, he takes his chair and is flanked by the corps coordinator. Another couple of logs are placed on the fire to set the atmosphere, and the crickets chirp in the woods.

About an hour into the nightowl, as the serenity of the evening was peaking....none of us could foresee what was about to erupt! In the shadows behind wierwille was his aide, his bodyguard whose two-way radio blurted and screeched in the quiet night air. The "atmosphere" of the whole evening came to an abrupt halt; a meticulously planned nightowl was broken in an instant. Wierwille could NOT contain his anger. He unleashed this tempest and castigated him relentlessly for about five minutes.

This bodyguard was the same man wierwille had praised months before by saying, "He stands by my side, because he doesn't take sh!t from no one." So, the irony of this night loomed large as wierwille couldn't help but verbally attack his right-hand man. Why couldn't vpw just cover for the mistake? Or, better yet.....call attention to it as a big ooops! and move on? What made it so awkward was that wierwille was "caught in the headlights" and couldn't adjust to the moment. So, his anger came front and center!! To me, this fury revealed wierwille's character....something he worked a lifetime to hide.

The bodyguard? From what I heard from hq-staffers the next day, he packed up and left.

Never saw him again.

The 3rd Wierwille Major Confrontation.....

Sitting in the OSC Dining Room during Corps Night [those transition years moving from the BRC and waiting for the Auditorium to be built]........where wierwille was going thru his "literal translations according to usage" in the Book of Romans. While most corps took notes furiously, there were others in the back who didn't take these meetings quite so serious or spiritual.

Anyways..........about an hour into the corps meeting, and this 6th corps guy is starting to nod off. Problem was..... he was near the front, somewhere near the fourth or fifth row, and in eye-shot of wierwille. Well, the nodding increased and the closed-eyelids-duration was becoming visibly evident. And, even though a couple of nearby corps tried to help this fellow stay awake.........it just wasn't meant to be.

And, then it happened......wierwille's eyes fixed on a NODDING, DOZING CORPS GRAD who had the audacity, and no spirituality, to sleep while wierwille taught from Romans!!! This "act of disrespect" demanded the most intense verbal lashing that wierwille could muster......and thus it was. Red-faced with anger, and neck-veins visible...... wierwille launched into this tirade to strip bare every thread of self-worth that this corps grad had. On and on the verbal lashing went........not 20 stripes, not 25 stripes, not 30 stripes, not 35 stripes........BUT 39 VICIOUS, VERBAL STRIPES.......just one short of total and utter demoralization.

Wierwille's anger could not be contained.....he went back stage and Craig came out as if *to tag-team* the effort some more. It was horrendous and awful and disgraceful. Man, in hindsight.....I wish that I'd stood up and yelled at the top of my lungs........SHUT THE HECK UP AND LET HIM BE.

The corps guy was escorted from the room......and wierwille came back, after about 10 minutes, to finish his teaching. But we'd already SEEN his teaching and lifestyle......who needed to take more notes???

The next morning......word spread that the 6th Corps staff guy was fired and sent packing.

Need to add.......this corps guy, after seeking medical help awhile later, found out that he had a blood-sugar problem and he was treated for it. Prescription medicine helped him to not doze off. Guess wierwille nor martindale saw deep enough to HELP this guy.

With scripture as its pretense, many good people were entrapped into a subculture of wierwille's narcissistic making.  Even though Mrs. Wierwille's book, Born Again to Serve documents how wierwille sat thru B.G. Leonard's class TWICE in Calgary, Alberta and then rushed home to run the exact same class..... many devote followers refuse to see the blatant (stolen) plagiarism.  Detailing the struggles of starting a new undertaking and moving to the wierwille homestead in 1961......victor paul wierwille was simply peddling a stolen class up and down the highways of America.  And, with five children at home.....he needed to keep moving to pay the bills.

Fast-forward to 1972.....and the summer camps and outreach efforts were reaching the youth.  The Jesus Movement helps to affix a counter-revolution from established norms and communes were in vogue. Hundreds made the pilgrimage to the rock of ages......which later, brought thousands.  The teachings, music, camping alongside other excited youth set ablaze a fire of curiosity and involvement to join twi's programs, WOW and Corps.  And, in turn.....many of these changed teenagers, druggies and dropouts witnessed to their folks and families and they, too, became involved.

The 1977-1984 years were twi at its summit.  Big events, Ambassador One flights,  5 corps campuses, regular corps and family corps, thousands outgoing WOW ambassadors....medical WOWs, military WOWs, WOW Vet program, offices moving to the new Outreach Services Center, Founders Hall, building of new auditorium with state-of-the-art studio, orchestra, etc. etc.  Reaching the summit was exhilarating and exhausting.  The trail of hardship and burdens was leaving corps and returning wows broke and in emotional turmoil.  Leaky and broken cars. Sharing rental apartments or homes with 4 or 5 others in "way homes" had its own set of issues and challenges.  The rollercoaster ride was coming to an end.

Wierwille's narcissistic boastings excited the masses......but the foundation was built on shifting sand.  As corps graduated and married......soon-to-follow were babies in strollers.  Lots of them, hundreds of them.  Now, these young corps men and women had life-long responsibility staring them in the face, bills to pay, decisions to make.  No longer could they rush to meeting after meeting, rock of ages after rock of ages and camp out in tents.  Now, they needed an air-conditioned motel room for the baby's comfort.  More bills.  More decisions.  Wierwille's malignant narcissism began show its aggression.  He became more agitated and pi$$ed each year that his corps servants were retreating from the onslaught of activities.  His corps letters are filled with pining and whining.

Sure, there is still a shell of its former self at twi's compound......but certainly no longer a "headquarters."  Thousands paid a dear price for giving precious years of their youth to follow in wierwille's narcissistic pathologies.  He set out to live life on his terms.....and he did.

"During my 24-year twi involvement.....The most fiery, sustained confrontations from wierwille and martindale were leveled at dissenting leadership. Nothing else comparable to it! The most divisive, vicious, vein-popping, profanity-spewing and sustained-intensity periods of 'hatred' were unloaded in closed-corps meetings!!

Most Fiery Confrontations Leveled at Dissenting Leadership [link]

Malignant narcissism, indeed!  Wierwille would NOT allow top-tier leadership or loyal followers to walk away unscathed.  He had to have the last word.....even if they were gone, or dead.  His sadism and aggression was profound when dissenting leaders left twi.  Cunning to the core, wierwille knew that a trickle of exits could erupt into a flood.  So, he would strike.  Yes, vpw was a striker.....one of many behaviors that DISQUALIFIED him from the office of a minister, an overseer [ I Timothy 3:3].

The grip of fear was released upon his death in May 1985......and the exodus flood was underway.  Some think that it was Geer's paper, "The Passing of a Patriarch" and ensuing power-grab that was the impetus of this exodus.  I contend that wierwille's death and his relentless grip of ownership (master/servant) was the catalyst.  Dozens of corps (60-100) were slipping out the back door each year, but then......300 more entered the regular corps program and 150 (??) into the family corps.  The surge of excitement among the youth outdistanced the reality on the ground....even as wierwille's corps letters opined for the corps to stay in line.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:29 PM, skyrider said:

How often does twi promote "Come, work on staff at hq" to advanced class students?

How many newly-corps graduates are *assigned* to work staff-servitude at headquarters each year?

Time and again, twi brochures promote the corps program as a lifetime of Christian service.....sending men and women forth to "move the word."  YET, every year it seems that twi assigns 25% - 33% (if 12 graduate from corps, then 3 or 4) are lassoed for staff jobs.  The pay sucks.  The novelty of being around spiritual bigwigs wears off.  No upward mobility to speak of......and who wants to be micro-managed for years?  Besides, if monotony does kill you.....boredom will.

Anyone who has a lick of self-motivation and dignity sees how staff-servitude is a dead-end job.  At the bottom end of a seniority list.....the newly-corps grad must live on grounds in a trailer unit or founders hall.  There is no such thing as a weekend......and surveillance of one's actions is 24/7.  Twi loves to exploit the youth when their energy level is high, perception is generally low.....and they've been trained to obey upon command.  Usually, after two or three years -- the light bulb goes off.

I just finished the Netflix series on Downton Abbey.  I'm sure that they took plenty of liberties to add drama and flare to this 6 Season series (2010-2015)....but there seems to be some documentation to this privileged life in the past few centuries.  Those *above the stairs* were waited on at their beckon call with endless dinners, social events, dignitary gatherings, royalty visits, and pampering at every turn.  Those *below the stairs* had their own caste system of hierarchy.... the butler, valets, footmen, lady's maids, head house manager, head cook, assistants, etc. etc.  And, (spoiler alert)........ by the end of the 6th Season, this way of life (in 1925) is COMING TO AN END.

Those *below the stairs* know that working in service is fading away.  There is NO future in it....for the youth.  They need to find their own way forward to secure their future, livelihood and retirement.  Sure, an old stately butler can live out the remainder of his years basking in his staff-servitude to his lordship.....but that's about all.  The financial troubles of the great castles and prominent mansions are mounting and the structures are under constant repair.  Having 30, 40 or 60 on payroll to sustain the grandeur of its prominence is biting into its longevity.

And, I would contend that twi/staff servitude is the same.  Long gone are the days when 450-490 staffers filled departments ranging from Reflections, Bookstore, Divine Design, Carpeting, Cabinet Shop and Upholstery. Those who live on grounds and receive meager wages for their work will pay the price down the road.  That is why, I believe..... that twi hq is a shell of its former self.  The days of exploiting (most) staffers is over!! People DO NOT STAY....because it is obviously not in their self-interest to stay.  

Those *below the stairs* see how the game is played......and plan accordingly.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/566223559?badge=0&autopause=0&player_id=0&app_id=58479

Edited by OldSkool

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

The grip of fear was released upon his death in May 1985......and the exodus flood was underway.  Some think that it was Geer's paper, "The Passing of a Patriarch" and ensuing power-grab that was the impetus of this exodus.  I contend that wierwille's death and his relentless grip of ownership (master/servant) was the catalyst.  Dozens of corps (60-100) were slipping out the back door each year, but then......300 more entered the regular corps program and 150 (??) into the family corps.  The surge of excitement among the youth outdistanced the reality on the ground....even as wierwille's corps letters opined for the corps to stay in line.

That's a excellent point !

Initially...for me anyway, I think it was the power-grab after “The Passing of a Patriarch” that was an emotional gut punch...a betrayal...my trust...my confidence had been violated...which made me wonder what was my trust in...doubts, questions, bitter memories, repressed feelings and forgotten thoughts came flooding in – my mind was awash in ignored red flags, forgotten issues, pent up anger and frustrations...

...over time, upon deeper reflection and slowly engaging those atrophied critical thinking muscles I began to realize the bigger problem was hidden in plain sight...I was in a cult of personality – that TWI was really all about wierwille... When wierwille passed away,  his larger than life charismatic influence that gave TWI its power to control devoted wierwille-followers was also gone.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, OldSkool said:

Oh my.  Click on image only if you want to hear the sleazy, cult commercial......:anim-smile:

Howard and Wanda.  Is that Vern and wife?  Rupp. Greene.

Where's Rosalie?  Where's the CEO....Donna Martindale?  

Why is it that Rosalie and Donna always seem hidden?  Away from the spotlight.  Hiding in the shadows.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, skyrider said:

Oh my.  Click on image only if you want to hear the sleazy, cult commercial......:anim-smile:

Howard and Wanda.  Is that Vern and wife?  Rupp. Greene.

Where's Rosalie?  Where's the CEO....Donna Martindale?  

Why is it that Rosalie and Donna always seem hidden?  Away from the spotlight.  Hiding in the shadows.

Rosalie always lurked in the back ground like emperor plapatine. Partially because she has almost zero personality or charisma for public speaking. But....she prefers to have others be the face of her schemes. Wierd eh?

7 hours ago, skyrider said:

Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial behavior, aggression and sadism.  Delving deeper into this mixture, one finds emotional cruelty purposefully manipulating others through the use of fear.  And, throughout this manipulation.....there is an extreme lack of empathy for one's troubles and plight.  Inevitably, one's fear only reinforces and empowers the narcissist.

As corps and staff, I witnessed firsthand cruelty of others by wierwille.  

Here are 3 such incidents:

Unfortunately, these incidents were the rule, not the exception.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, skyrider said:

With scripture as its pretense, many good people were entrapped into a subculture of wierwille's narcissistic making. 

Plenty of documentation of first hand records to that effect are contained on this website.

6 hours ago, skyrider said:

Wierwille's narcissistic boastings excited the masses......but the foundation was built on shifting sand. 

To illustrate the danger of building on shifting sand, I point to the very recent collapse of a condo tower in Miami Beach, FL. 

The death toll in the Florida condominium collapse rose to nine Sunday as authorities continued to search through the rubble for survivors.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said additional bodies were recovered after first responders dug a trench through the wreckage. Emergency workers have brought in major machinery being used to sift through the debris, which will be taken to a warehouse and analyzed for any forensic clues.

5 hours ago, skyrider said:

"During my 24-year twi involvement.....The most fiery, sustained confrontations from wierwille and martindale were leveled at dissenting leadership. Nothing else comparable to it! The most divisive, vicious, vein-popping, profanity-spewing and sustained-intensity periods of 'hatred' were unloaded in closed-corps meetings!!

I posted this video in a thread in the open forum last month.

It is from a livestream webinar I sat through. The subject is malignant narcissism.

"this core pathology of malignant narcissism will determine the course of their leadership style. Understandably, their leadership will be rendered dangerous by inflamed, infantile affects that will drive extremes of intellect and behavior. Under stress, the malignant leader will endure storms of emotion that will hijack their intelligence and determine policy decisions."

Edited by Rocky
links

6 hours ago, OldSkool said:

That's almost a cool video.  Copied the idea, though they might want to claim credit for thinking of tossing a ball of wool around.  Vrn's wife, can't remember her name, but she had been a lovely lass when I first knew her, looks like a mannequin.  Thought she was fake until she moved her plastic smile.

I can't think they have that many people on staff.  Perhaps they roped in every local believer and made them put on a Tshirt.  Why so many "staff"?; wouldn't they be more productive "on the field"? 

On 6/27/2021 at 6:31 PM, Twinky said:

Vrn's wife, can't remember her name, but she had been a lovely lass when I first knew her, looks like a mannequin.  Thought she was fake until she moved her plastic smile.

Yeah that glazed over stepford wives look is common with those at the top. Those on the outside never see the real people behind all the fakery. They actually teach people in their videos to smile as big as they can so people can see the abundant life they are living. Fake and scripted, and notice they are putting young ministry kids up front now. Most all of the kids who get promoted are reverend and mrs so and so's child. Nepotism anyone? But heck, thats about all they really have to draw from anymore. Rosalie finished off Craigs work of running everyone off that potentially had a backbone. Anywho.

• Upvote 2