GreaseSpot Cafe

PLAF - the wonder camp

OldSkool

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Yeesh !!!! In the Family Corps it seemed like the wooden spoon was the only rule for faith and practice. I was never a strict disciplinarian and always felt there were better options than corporal punishment...I was a big advocate of sentencing bad kids to time-out...kids do not have an accurate sense of the passage of time  -  we can only imagine the agony they suffered during their time of incarceration – not knowing exactly when they could get back to doing something fun...FYI to parents: 15 minutes in time-out is equivalent to 15 hours in kid-time. 

. . .

I'm thinking in terms of obtaining narcissistic supply.  Not necessarily actually disciplining someone.  The motivation is different.

I think PFAL called it the great principle but it might be another chart.

• 7 months later...

Interesting talk, gives pause for thought. 

But oh! how American!  "I have something going on in my life, so I'll shout it from the rooftops and write a book about it."  AKA, make money from it.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rocky said:

Have we had this discussion before?

Another interesting You Tube – thanks,  Rocky !

Fallon is so warm and engaging in his talk…and the funny thing about listening to talks like this – I find myself susceptible to self-diagnosis  

But not kidding here   :rolleyes:

and not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing…so I usually lean toward the   Luke 4:23  principle - ‘Physician, heal yourself!’    meaning before attempting to correct others, make sure that I’m not guilty of the same faults…and the thing is many times I find I am guilty of the same faults – maybe not to the extreme degree of certain people…but I think it functions as a constant reminder of the human condition…

I read in    The Sociopath Next Door     Harvard psychologist Martha Stout said a small percentage of ordinary people--one in twenty-five--has an often-undetected mental disorder…

:offtopic:

And perhaps off topic...But relates to “the teacher” of the original PFAL – wonder camp is another interesting thing Stout said in her book:
“We have an extremely hard time seeing that a person has no conscience, but a person who has no conscience can instantly recognize someone who is decent and trusting.”

That got me thinking – recognizing a cult-leader’s behavior as unconscionable is a tough pill to swallow – it’s awfully unpleasant…difficult but unavoidable…and must be accepted if one is to make sense of their own cult-experience…and if what Stout says is true - that a person who has no conscience can instantly recognize someone who is decent and trusting…I wonder if that is like one of the “manifestations” that an expert con artist is good at “operating” ?  :biglaugh: 

I dunno…just thinking out loud…I believe a good hunter/predator tends to be efficient in identifying and targeting their prey – and won’t waste a lot of time and effort going after what can easily elude them.

Edited by T-Bone
Editor, edit thyself !

3 hours ago, T-Bone said:

so I usually lean toward the   Luke 4:23  principle - ‘Physician, heal yourself!’    meaning before attempting to correct others, make sure that I’m not guilty of the same faults…and the thing is many times I find I am guilty of the same faults – maybe not to the extreme degree of certain people…but I think it functions as a constant reminder of the human condition…

I believe self-awareness can be a very good thing. :love3:

And in a nod to our good friend Bolshevik, I don't believe NPD and psychopathy are necessarily always mutually exclusive. 

Edited by Rocky

4 hours ago, Rocky said:

I believe self-awareness can be a very good thing. :love3:

And in a nod to our good friend Bolshevik, I don't believe NPD and psychopathy are necessarily always mutually exclusive. 

I think I posted a Venn Diagram about it on your Malignant Narcissist thread.  Psychopaths and secondary psychopaths were included if I remember right.  Antisocial personality disorder often the sociopath.  All under the same cluster B.

• Upvote 1