GreaseSpot Cafe

Obesity Is Growing Yearly

Stayed Too Long

Being over weight and obese is a serious health problem.

https://infogram.com/us-adult-obesity-rates-since-1960-1gzxop49on65mwy

The cost is becoming astronomical.

https://onlinepublichealth.gwu.edu/resources/cost-of-obesity-in-us/

Obesity is preventable, so what are your thoughts on why we continue to put our health in jeopardy? To me, we know it is not healthy, but continue to eat more and more. We even come up with new terms to make being obese seem normal. BBW (Big Beautiful Woman,) is a created term used to describe a woman who is living unhealthy. It is not beautiful to see someone put their health at tisk. The same describes a man who is obese or over weight. Often times, if someone mentions it, they are accused of “fat shaming” someone. But we have no problem telling someone who smokes they are putting their health st risk. If a friend is addicted to drugs, we will point out to them that it is not healthy. It seems we have a double standard on approacing health. We don’t want to “hurt someone’s feelings” by telling them they are living an unhealthy life style. I believe the path we are on will continue to make our country unhealthy.

Edited by Stayed Too Long

If you observe a man or woman smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, you can make the assumption, if they have lung cancer, the tobacco played a major roll. Likewise, if you see a person drinking to excess, and is involved in an accident, you can rationalize the booze was a major contributer. They will probably be issued a DUI by the police. Likewise, if you observe a person who is obese eating a triple cheese burger, superized fries, and large Coke, you can make the assumtion the calorie intake has contributed to them being over weight. At home, eating large portion at a meal, will also contribute to being over weight.

Tune into the television show “My 600 Pound Body” to observe how much and what obese people eat. They have absolutely no control over how much they eat in a day.

You  could look at food pyramids to see if they can contribute to weight gain, but first let’s get the calorie intake under control. 

Your links are clear obesity/overweight is a growing trend and is a problem for everyone.

There's no studies on the cause.  

You've cited a correlation on a small sample size and compared it to other issues, which would also require thorough studies as to there causes . . . Which I am sure exist.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stayed Too Long said:

Being over weight and obese is a serious health problem.

https://infogram.com/us-adult-obesity-rates-since-1960-1gzxop49on65mwy

The cost is becoming astronomical.

https://onlinepublichealth.gwu.edu/resources/cost-of-obesity-in-us/

Obesity is preventable, so what are your thoughts on why we continue to put our health in jeopardy? To me, we know it is not healthy, but continue to eat more and more. We even come up with new terms to make being obese seem normal. BBW (Big Beautiful Woman,) is a created term used to describe a woman who is living unhealthy. It is not beautiful to see someone put their health at tisk. The same describes a man who is obese or over weight. Often times, if someone mentions it, they are accused of “fat shaming” someone. But we have no problem telling someone who smokes they are putting their health st risk. If a friend is addicted to drugs, we will point out to them that it is not healthy. It seems we have a double standard on approacing health. We don’t want to “hurt someone’s feelings” by telling them they are living an unhealthy life style. I believe the path we are on will continue to make our country unhealthy.

It may be "preventable" but doing so is not necessarily simple. If it were, why are so many people not able to prevent or reverse it? 

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Have you looked into the history of the food pyramid?  

Maybe all the advice people are following is wrong.  May[be] it's not.

I think it's a good bet that much of it has been wrong.

Yeah I think the food pyramid is suspect…and we eat a lot of processed food and fast food…I am trying to do better on portion control…and eating healthy takes a lot more planning.

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

It may be "preventable" but doing so is not necessarily simple. If it were, why are so many people not able to prevent or reverse it? 

Getting off of drugs and alcohol are not simple either, and there are programs available to help. There are the 12 step programs of AA and NA, private counseling, inpatient programs, and probably others also. For those wanting assistance losing weight the is the 12 step program OA. There is also private counseling available, and for severe case, medical intervention may be necessary.

The thing that got me thinking about obesity was a picture I saw of a crowd of people in 1970. Most people were trim and fit with only one person visible  who was over weight, and not obese. A picture in 2015 showed many over weight and obese people. 

What has occurred in the past 50 years that can explain this phenomenon? There were fast  food restaurants and processed food in the 70’s, yet people were able to maintain a healthy weight. My guess is portion control. It seems that once a person begins eating excess food, the food becomes a drug just like a narcotic or alcohol. It is uncontrollable and the demand for it is overwhelming, with many unable to deal with it responsibly. 

55 minutes ago, Stayed Too Long said:

The thing that got me thinking about obesity was a picture I saw of a crowd of people in 1970. Most people were trim and fit with only one person visible  who was over weight, and not obese. A picture in 2015 showed many over weight and obese people. 

What has occurred in the past 50 years that can explain this phenomenon? There were fast  food restaurants and processed food in the 70’s, yet people were able to maintain a healthy weight. My guess is portion control. It seems that once a person begins eating excess food, the food becomes a drug just like a narcotic or alcohol. It is uncontrollable and the demand for it is overwhelming, with many unable to deal with it responsibly. 

Has it occurred to you that pervasive advertising on increasingly intrusive media (broadcast radio and tv, print, internet) has induced a sense of hunger when and where and for whom they wouldn't otherwise feel hungry? 

Or perhaps that personal stresses from economic factors and the various ways that changes the internal chemistry for millions has had detrimental impacts on individuals and families ... and might be something outside of what so many people can control?

Did you come here to GSC to pontificate before doing any research on the causes of the current public health crisis?

Edited by Rocky

One would be shocked if they considered how many millions of acres of 'cereal' crops are grown these days compared with 50 years ago...may have something to do with it ! On a nostalgic note, consider how many 'overweight' people were in residence lol...myself and eveyone I knew/know were razor thin whilst in rez...little wonder on a daily diet of toast for brekky, millet for lunch and baked potatoes for dinner :)

I think the current crisis has really made this worse.  Before this started, I wasn't bad off, and was in a position to lose weight steadily- until all my routines were trashed.  (My best methods of weight loss currently have involved rushing around, getting lots of cardio by lots of walking and a bit of marching.fast walking to get in everything I need done.  I can lose weight 3 seasons out of the year-  but in Summer it's too hot to rush around. So, I try not to gain a lot of weight in Summer.  So, Summer ended and I was a healthy weight and was looking forward to getting down to my college waist size-  then all the things I had to rush for all ended.   I'll get the weight down eventually, one way or another (probably the same way as before, but possibly with a fun routine.)   Some time ago, my best weight losses were exercise I liked- generally either swimming or fencing. 

I'm aware that a lot of people put on weight in 2020, and are trying to figure out how to lose it.

The older I get the more frequently I return to this topic. In my 40s and 50s I had no problem controlling my weight through a variety of means: Atkins diet, sheer-willpower-starving-myself-down-to-a-certain-weight, aerobics and free weights…but now in late 60s it’s tough to try and lose weight - I don’t have the drive to do all that…another “mystery” for me is how metabolism changes with age - and there’s probably other factors that affect it too.

Edited by T-Bone
Re-do
  • Upvote 1

Currently, I am in  the process of shedding 20 lbs that was gained over the past few years. When I try to analyze how the weight gains occurred, the holidays and snack foods surface to the top. All those deliciously prepared meals and left overs are too much for me to avoid. Worse yet, all the chips and candies throughout the year are a killer. Craft beet is also a major problem, but the soaring prices has gotten me to imbibe very little anymore. Also at 300-400 calories per glass, it will pack the pounds on like there is no tomorrow. 
But when I look back at the 70’s and 80’s, there was no problem pushing back from the table after eating a plate full of food.  An additional plate of 2’000 calories was not craved like they are today, not to mention a couple servings of apple pie a la Mode. 
Back then a single serving of potato chips was adequate, but now I sit down with a bag of family sized chips, and who knows when it will be deemed enough. 
In the past I attended Overeaters Anonymous, but it was to no avail at all. I left because everyone was always going to start a diet sometime in the future. After going to meetings for a year, and not seeing anyone lose weight, I dropped out. Now, every couple of years, I go through this ritual of losing a few pounds, hoping, maybe, the extra weight will stay off this time. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/12/13/whats-on-your-table-how-americas-diet-has-changed-over-the-decades/

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/eating-too-much-blame-your-brain

https://smokymountainnews.com/lifestyle/rumble/item/31055-a-history-of-the-food-pyramid

In one household one person could be vegan, another keto, another is alternate fasting, another eats whatever/whenever.  How do you coordinate a society when one house seems impossible?  Each person's solution is specific to them.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rocky said:

Has it occurred to you that pervasive advertising on increasingly intrusive media (broadcast radio and tv, print, internet) has induced a sense of hunger when and where and for whom they wouldn't otherwise feel hungry? 

Or perhaps that personal stresses from economic factors and the various ways that changes the internal chemistry for millions has had detrimental impacts on individuals and families ... and might be something outside of what so many people can control?

There were plenty of stresses back in the day. Nuclear war threat was so prevalent, we used to prectice air raid alerts. In school, when the sirens began wailing, we lay under our desks tucking our heads into our chests. Racial tensions were at a much higher rate than today. No nearly as many social  programs were in place to assist people financially and mentally. 

Did you come here to GSC to pontificate before doing any research on the causes of the current public health crisis?

I think "stresses" might refer to the overwhelming amount of information in our age coupled with our daily responsibilities.  Add to this the overabundance and easily accessible source cheap tasty foods - and our decision making limits often become overwhelmed.

The amount of work, research, time and focus it takes to achieve a healthy diet is a recipe to fail.

A long time could be spent getting specific on that.

38 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I think "stresses" might refer to the overwhelming amount of information in our age coupled with our daily responsibilities.  Add to this the overabundance and easily accessible source cheap tasty foods - and our decision making limits often become overwhelmed.

The amount of work, research, time and focus it takes to achieve a healthy diet is a recipe to fail.

Unless we can get under control all of our stresses, daily responsibilities, access to tasty foods, and our decision making limits I am afraid obesity will continue to expand. And like our Social Security program, more will be taking from it than depositing into it. Medical expenses are estimated to be about 12% of all medical costs. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180208180356.htm

With us boomers leaving the work force and receiving SS benefits and medicare, the pot of takers is growing. Add to that, the US population is shrinking, things could get bleak.

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/31/792737851/u-s-population-growth-in-2019-is-slowest-in-a-century

5 hours ago, Stayed Too Long said:

Currently, I am in  the process of shedding 20 lbs that was gained over the past few years. When I try to analyze how the weight gains occurred, the holidays and snack foods surface to the top. All those deliciously prepared meals and left overs are too much for me to avoid. Worse yet, all the chips and candies throughout the year are a killer. Craft beet is also a major problem, but the soaring prices has gotten me to imbibe very little anymore. Also at 300-400 calories per glass, it will pack the pounds on like there is no tomorrow. 
But when I look back at the 70’s and 80’s, there was no problem pushing back from the table after eating a plate full of food.  An additional plate of 2’000 calories was not craved like they are today, not to mention a couple servings of apple pie a la Mode. 
Back then a single serving of potato chips was adequate, but now I sit down with a bag of family sized chips, and who knows when it will be deemed enough. 
In the past I attended Overeaters Anonymous, but it was to no avail at all. I left because everyone was always going to start a diet sometime in the future. After going to meetings for a year, and not seeing anyone lose weight, I dropped out. Now, every couple of years, I go through this ritual of losing a few pounds, hoping, maybe, the extra weight will stay off this time. 

Are you saying that your analysis of a public health crisis is based entirely on looking back at your own life and how/when you remember taking on (eating) more calories than you burned?

Have you inquired at all into medical literature about (among the items I mentioned in previous comments to this thread) natural changes to metabolism as humans age?

4 hours ago, Stayed Too Long said:

There were plenty of stresses back in the day. Nuclear war threat was so prevalent, we used to prectice air raid alerts. In school, when the sirens began wailing, we lay under our desks tucking our heads into our chests. Racial tensions were at a much higher rate than today. No nearly as many social  programs were in place to assist people financially and mentally. 

What's your frame of reference for any of those points? Observations of public policies and news about them per se do not measure personal stress.

You'll have to go to medical literature to find the data that will address that question. That's why I provided the link to explain cortisol. 

For the first time ever, I've put on about 10 lb that I wish weren't there.  It's mostly snacky eating that's done it, together with half a bottle of wine twice a week and a shedload of delicious Lindor chocolates (lots of offers round Christmas and the months afterwards = woe is me!).   I prefer fresh vegs and homecooked food, so no issues there.  My life/activities have been little changed in the last ten years, so it's not activity levels.

I've given up buying chocolates and cut back on the vino.  I think the increase is halted, maybe even reversing slowly.  

A friend who was told he has pre-diabetes and had got to around 215-220 lb was sent by his doc on a diabetes awareness course, which he found really helpful.  By watching carbohydrates, he managed without any difficulty to lose 30-35 lb and is now fitter and gets up hills much easier than he did 40 years ago.  He found this "Carbs and Calories" book extremely helpful:  Carbs & Cals Books | Carb & Calorie Counter Book (carbsandcals.com)  You can get it through Amazon and probably many other sources as well.  It's quite useful, not preachy, shows photos on standard sized plates, dishes or spoons of common foods in different portion sizes, and also shows substitutes, giving the carb count for each photo. 

Another friend who has been overweight for years and has tried quite a few diets, unsuccessfully, is now doing very well with Noom.  She says she's never got this far before.  She has a number of medical issues that can affect her weight.  This Noom plan apparently addresses the psychology behind eating - what, when, and how - rather than calorie-counting or similar.  Noom: Stop dieting. Get life-long results.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Michael Pollan, author of Food Rules, suggests those "cheap tasty foods" are more properly described as "edible food like substances." They provide little to no genuine nutritional value other than carbs, fats and calories. Another way to look at it is each of us would do well to know how to choose nutrient-dense food rather than energy-dense food(like substances). 

Edited by Rocky

6 minutes ago, Twinky said:

This Noom plan apparently addresses the psychology behind eating - what, when, and how - rather than calorie-counting or similar.  Noom: Stop dieting. Get life-long results.

Perhaps that's all a good thing. I've heard of Noom. But I've also, for the last 15+ years, worked with nutritional professionals in the Veterans Affairs medical system to incorporate similar lifestyle changes. 

I do think a lot of people boredom-eat, or comfort-eat.  A habit, to have something to do with your hands (and teeth) without paying particular regard to what you're doing.  Like smokers, who need to have something in their fingers.

There is no doubt that people are getting much, much larger.  To see some people walking about is painful.  Their knees bend awkwardly and the strain on their backs must be dreadful.  They are injuring their bodies in horrible ways.  And that's just what can be seen.

Processed foods with all their additives aren't a good thing at all.  Who knows what really goes into them? 

But another thing that concerns me is what is done to animals while they are still alive.  If they are given growth hormones to stimulate their growth, so that they put on weight more quickly (and thus earn more money for their farmers), surely those growth hormones will pass through into whatever eats those animals?  So people must be ingesting growth hormones from over-medicated animals.  And that's impossible for the eater to detect.

Edited by Twinky
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

I work with street-homeless people (well, I did until the pandemic; about to resume work).  I've never seen a fat homeless person.  There is plenty of free food available, especially in this city: often carb-loaded, like sandwiches; their fresh veg content is probably lacking; and many drink quite a lot of alcohol.  Some, but by no means all, do drugs; many smoke, rolies usually.  They have a lot of illnesses and their life expectancy is significantly shorter than people who are not homeless.  But they are not fat, never mind obese.

Interesting, perhaps to ponder the differences.

Becoming homeless, however, is perhaps not the best way to lose weight.  I'm not recommending it.