GreaseSpot Cafe

Obesity Is Growing Yearly

Stayed Too Long

Not just eating plenty of calories - drinking them too.  Lots of cheap alcohol, also giving temporary oblivious from their many problems.

But then, that's not so different from other fatties.  The drinking of alcohol contributes a lot to obesity.  We are all familiar with the "beer belly" of overweight men.  The obesity to which this thread refers is a lot more than beer bellies.  It's the soft padding all over some people.

Edited by Twinky
Spelling

Oh no, Bolshy one.  For adults at least: "Drink a little wine for thy stomach's sake."

Did a Google search and results are mixed.  Sometimes alcohol contributes to weight gain, sometimes it helps prevent weight gain.  Behavior surrounding drinking such as eating more seems to make sense.

Which brings up another aspect.

Alcohol abuse affects how you think.

Sleep deprivation affects how you think.

Food affects how you think.

The obesity epidemic is to be taken seriously because it dumbs down the population.  It affects everyone.

20 hours ago, Twinky said:

Interesting articles you post, Bolshy one.  So US homeless people are fat/obese, and Brit ones aren't (in general).  (I'm sure there are lots of each, in both countries.)  In my city, there are lots of places homeless people can get free or very cheap food, including proper hot meals.  Some are places run by shelter/refuges, some by churches, there's the "soup run" (soup and sandwiches), there's giveaways by some retailers of use-before sandwiches and fruit, some food is distributed by goody-goodies (for a while).  Some is purchased specifically, by random passers-by with kind hearts.  Lots of carb-heavy stuff.

In my 10+ years working with street homeless, in a city where free food is abundant, I can honesty say there are no obese people among them here; and there are few merely fat people.  Can't speak for the rest of the UK, but I suspect it's similar.  

I found this article, which you might find of interest: HOMELESSNESS IS A HEALTH ISSUE, which looks at the national picture.  An extract: "Our audit data highlighted the poor diets many homeless people have. Almost a third of clients regularly eat less than two meals a day. In addition, only 1 in 4 homeless people said they usually eat 3 or more pieces of fruit or veg per day. Only 7% usually consume the recommended 5 per day, compared to 27% of the general population6 – a third do not eat any at all."

Your link about the homeless suggests eating less than two meals a day is a bad thing.

Google the history of why we eat 3 meals a day.

We think we need multiple meals.  Do we?  Who said so?  Why do our modern bodies indicate it's lunch time at noon?

Edited by Bolshevik
om nom nom nom nom

"Who controls the food supply controls the people . . . . " - Henry Kissinger

There's Obesity, Covid, The Great Reset, and Cows . . . because climate change

Reasons for obesity are many.  It's a problem.

What to do if we don't act?  We have to act!  Because climate change!

This thread is politics.

3 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

"Who controls the food supply controls the people . . . . " - Henry Kissinger

There's Obesity, Covid, The Great Reset, and Cows . . . because climate change

Reasons for obesity are many.  It's a problem.

What to do if we don't act?  We have to act!  Because climate change!

This thread is politics.

And has been so from the start.