GreaseSpot Cafe

Forum rules ??

Allan

Did you get booted, Allan?  Your thread about LCM doesn't seem to be here now.

29 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

I was wondering why they changed to this "rank" stuff.

Something fishy (and rank) going on, perhaps?

I dunno.  Makes us all look like newbies.  Weird.  Apparently I'm a "Rookie" (with >5K posts!) and you, Bolshy, are an Apprentice, with slightly more posts.  But we're both still on the Leaderboard.

3 hours ago, Twinky said:

Something fishy (and rank) going on, perhaps?

I dunno.  Makes us all look like newbies.  Weird.  Apparently I'm a "Rookie" (with >5K posts!) and you, Bolshy, are an Apprentice, with slightly more posts.  But we're both still on the Leaderboard.

20 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I'm a newbie with 19,000 posts...

George

I think the biggest complaint about reincarnation was losing prior memories of another life...sounds like Grease Spot solved that problem...yeah Grease Spot administrators !!!!

I see the symbol for an Apprentice with 3/14 (3 out of 14 what??) is a leaf.  

Haven't we had enough of leaves, twigs, Way trees, and the like?  How about - um... err... em - an axe?  To chop down the Way tree? :evilshades:

2 hours ago, waysider said:

Some of this stuff probably just comes as part of a package deal when you buy the program.

But, I don't know much about computers so it's maybe best to just ignore me.:biglaugh:

I don't think that idea lends itself to conspiracy theories or the general paranoia  . . . Unless that's what they want us to think. . .

6 hours ago, Twinky said:

I see the symbol for an Apprentice with 3/14 (3 out of 14 what??) is a leaf.  

Haven't we had enough of leaves, twigs, Way trees, and the like?  How about - um... err... em - an axe?  To chop down the Way tree? :evilshades:

I took a road trip last month. On the trip, I saw Billions and Billions and BILLIONS of trees... for which I am very thankful. I bet there are lots of trees near where you live in the UK, Twinky. I hope so. When I think about trees, I don't think about twi. :wave: 

18 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Speaking of Facespot.

I was wondering why they changed to this "rank" stuff.  Is it a better way of providing online narcissistic supply?  Is anyone full yet?

The OBVIOUS conclusion is that the website software received an incremental upgrade, and this came along for the ride.  I´m confident the staff didn´t know about it until people started complaining about it.  This actually happens a lot on line.   Little changes here and there, and suddenly, a ¨small¨ change that arrived with the others is causing trouble.

BTW, how about thinking of "Naruto" with this "leaf" stuff?

22 hours ago, Allan said:

I didn't realise mentioning anything 'homosexual' was against GSC rules ?? Is this site really going THAT woke ?? If it is you're better to perhaps rename it 'Facespot" lol

Anything POLITICAL is against GSC rules.  Since that almost ended the GSC, that's NOT up for debate nor reconsideration.  

Some subjects are too rife with politics, controversy, or both.   A different thread with the opposite intent was shut down quickly the other year.  They didn't forbid your POV, they're ending all discussions on that subject in EITHER direction  (at least, at this point in time- but then, there used to be political threads once, as well.)   They're not being "woke",  they're setting boundaries for this board.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rocky said:

I bet there are lots of trees near where you live in the UK, Twinky. I hope so. When I think about trees, I don't think about twi.

I love trees, forests, being on mountains above the bushline/treeline looking down on forests, creatures that live in forests...  I only have a small garden and I have planted several small trees in it.  This city is full of mature and younger trees.  The fringe of the city, where I live, has lots of wooded areas.  Nice to walk in.

My fave verse:   

Is 55:12  For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Nah.  It was the little leaf symbol on the 3/14 badge.  Note, however, the 2/14 symbol is clapping hands.  Yay!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WordWolf said:

The OBVIOUS conclusion is that the website software received an incremental upgrade, and this came along for the ride.  I´m confident the staff didn´t know about it until people started complaining about it.  This actually happens a lot on line.   Little changes here and there, and suddenly, a ¨small¨ change that arrived with the others is causing trouble.

BTW, how about thinking of "Naruto" with this "leaf" stuff?

so you’re saying there’s a chance I could suddenly become chief cook and bottle washer ?!?!

…I’m okay with that.

You mean you're not, T-Bone?

You know, the cafe should have celebrated this upgrade with a new array of cakes and coffee. 

Or maybe I should just get something to eat.  Just got in at the end of my working day.  Chicken fillets, Jersey Royal baby potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli await my attention.  Then rhubarb and yoghurt.  Yum.  Then maybe my GSC cake. Yum yum.  

2 hours ago, Twinky said:

You mean you're not, T-Bone?

You know, the cafe should have celebrated this upgrade with a new array of cakes and coffee. 

Or maybe I should just get something to eat.  Just got in at the end of my working day.  Chicken fillets, Jersey Royal baby potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli await my attention.  Then rhubarb and yoghurt.  Yum.  Then maybe my GSC cake. Yum yum.  

Truth be told “chief cook and bottle washer” was a thing I got from my Dad...when I was a kid my Dad would use it for different applications: if we were in a store and spotted some employee working furiously to get something done he'd say something like “must be the chief cook and bottle washer”...a few times I remember when we had company over and the grownups were complaining about poor service somewhere and they should have said something – my Dad would quip “best to go to the chief cook and bottle washer....I've never looked into the idiom until now – from Google search on the phrase I think I found the best ones that seem to reflect what I remember of my Dad's usages:

Definition: A term used to refer to someone who is in charge of practically everything within an organization. The idiom chief cook and bottle washer is used to refer to someone who is in power in an organization and oversees virtually every aspect of the organization. It is used particularly to refer to small businesses or other small-scale organizations. Although it seems to apply particularly to the restaurant industry, this idiom can be used to refer to anyone in such a position in any industry. 
(from idiom dictionary    )

and 

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English chief cook and bottle washer ...chief cook and bottle washer someone who does a lot of small jobs to make sure that an event is successful – used humorously → chief.     From:    Longman dictionary 

and 

A person in charge of numerous duties, both vital and trivial, as in We have no secretaries or clerks; the department head is chief cook and bottlewasher and does it all . [Slang; c. 1840]  from:  The Free Dictionary

and now you know the rest of the story...

I was kidding about wanting to become one...but I think Pawtucket and the Grease Spot  moderators definitely qualify since they perform numerous duties both vital and trivial for a smooth running and successful forum. Kudos to Pawtucket and the moderators !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by T-Bone
edited by chief cook and bottle washer wannabe

On 7/12/2021 at 9:56 PM, Twinky said:

Did you get booted, Allan?  Your thread about LCM doesn't seem to be here now.

'apparently' the word 'homosexual' has now been deemed 'political' and 'too controversial' for GS forum ! so I think I'll boot myself off lol

Yeah, we have the Chief cook & Bottle washer expression here too.

It's come to mean, sort of: a general dogsbody.  Dogsbody itself being a weird expression.  Though I suppose a CCBW (does a bit of everything) would be of a little higher status that a dogsbody (does menial [or even mean-ial] tasks).  And a Man/Girl Friday would be a step up from a CCBW.  

Here's lookin' at ya, T-Bone Cook on OpenMoji 13.1

2 hours ago, Allan said:

'apparently' the word 'homosexual' has now been deemed 'political' and 'too controversial' for GS forum ! so I think I'll boot myself off lol

I think discussions about homosexuality are in line with discussions of The Way.  I quoted lyrics from The Way, think it was on the same tape (remember those?) as The Mystery train . . . but maybe not.

I think the news link was absolutely political.  Anything from them seems inflammatory.  

Just my opinion.